Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

That is too bad. Seems like a fair deal that if someone up front bows out and goes to college, that you have a chance to recover by giving a bit more to a later pick to entice him away. Kind of like drafting "backup" 3-4th round picks.

I didn't think that was a certainty, and it wasn't how I understood it.

Perhaps Sessile Fielder can clear up the confusion and provide a link(though I realize often times that's hard as you hear things or read things and don't recall where you saw it from).

But I too was under the impression as well that your pre-draft pool was your pool, regardless of who signed or didn't. Ie, if a 1st rounder spurned you and went to college, you still had the same pool.

Red Sox beat writer Alex Speier:

Let’s say that an elite talent in the draft falls to the Red Sox with their first pick this year at No. 24. Couldn’t the team simply give its entire bonus pool of $6.884 million to that player in an attempt to sign him?

Simple answer is no. If a team doesn’t sign a pick in the top 10 rounds, it “forfeits” that slot in its bonus pool. So, if the Red Sox do not sign their second first-round pick (No. 31 overall), their pool would be diminished by the $1.575 million slot for that pick.

While forfeiting that portion of your bonus pool when a player doesn't sign might seem unfair at first glance, it prevents the scenario of a team picking someone with no intention of signing him, which would be downright unethical.

I'd be disappointed if farmer doesn't sign. With how much they've gone under slot with other guys they could give him 3rd or 4th rd money.

Yeah, they've had such smooth sailing with their signees, there should be money there for Farmer. I'm not sure if the Brewers just did that good of a job talking to all these guys before the draft to ensure they'd sign for what they ended up signing for or if they went safe.

But if they can wrap up Magnifico, Rivera and Farmer, I'll be pretty happy with this class.

In Magnifico you have a guy who could be a dominant closer if he can just refine his slider(plus you know he'll tat least thrown a change). Rivera is a guy that scouts thought could go as high as 3rd round and who has exceptional tools, and then obviously Farmer.

That's two more guys with 3rd round grades and a 3rd who is just a huge wild card. There is a lot of room to miss if you're throwing the ball 103 MPH! And ANY pitch he can get over to change speeds will make it that much tougher. Hell, even if he's not a closer, he could still be a valuable arm and could be one fairly quickly. Imagine a BP of Axford, Manzanillo, Magnifico, Parra, Heckathorn, Wooten and Estrada or another long man. Could have soeme gas in that pen. Rogers hopefully could figure prominently in there as well.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 3 weeks later...
Any word on what Farmer wants? And if so.. do we have the cash for him without being hit with any penalty?

Sessile Fielder addressed what money the Brewers have available for Farmer in the "Other than Farmer..." thread in this subforum. His post is #16 in that thead. I'd just link it for you, but don't know how to do so with a phone.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived