Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 6-20

Please use this thread to share your thoughts, links, stories, pictures and anything else on the Brewers' picks on draft day from rounds 6 through 20. Please do not start separate threads to discuss the individual picks.

Please use the in-draft thread to talk about the picks, similar to a game thread.

Summary of BA's thoughts on the 6th and 7th rounders:

Angel Ortega: Premium defender at shortstop, high energy, average speed, bat speed is decent but he needs time to develop at the plate. Could be an "average hitter."

David Otterman: "Canada's best college prospect." Clean delivery, 88-91 FB with some projection left. Slider, curve, change-up, with slider being the best offspeed pitch. Will need more development time than usual college pitcher.

Summary of BA's thoughts on the 6th and 7th rounders:

Angel Ortega: Premium defender at shortstop, high energy, average speed, bat speed is decent but he needs time to develop at the plate. Could be an "average hitter.".

A slick fielding shortstop who is an average hitter would be amazing

Two Puerto Ricans in three picks for the Brewers (FYI, Otterman is NOT Puerto Rican)...

BA on Edgardo Rivera: Very, very raw. His running tool is at the top end of the scouting scale. Average outfield arm that needs work, and outfield play in general needs work. Quick left-handed stroke that should produce average, but he'll never hit for power. Will need to spend more than a little time in rookie ball.

BA also noted that both Ortega and Rivera should be signable.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

University of British Columbia pitcher David Otterman drafted by Brewers, expects to sign

By Elliott Pap, Vancouver Sun

VANCOUVER — David Otterman was keeping his fingers crossed Tuesday. Or maybe he was just preparing to throw a two-seam fastball.

In any case, the 6-3 lefthander from Coquitlam and the UBC Thunderbirds baseball program was tickled pink when he received the news he had been taken in the seventh round – 245th overall – by the Milwaukee Brewers in the Major League Baseball draft.

“I was really hopeful that today would be the day,” a thrilled Otterman said over the phone. “You hear things but it's tough because you never really know. I've heard horror stories of guys getting told they were going to go somewhere and then they don't go at all. I had a feeling I would be picked somewhere from round 6-10. I had a few people tell me that, too, and that's what I was hoping for.”

Otterman is an English major at UBC and has two full years left to complete his degree. However, he indicated he is ready to turn pro immediately and finish his studies somewhere down the line.

“I plan to sign with the Brewers and get started as soon as possible,” he said. “Where I might end up going in their system will be something that will be determined in the next few weeks, I think. I talked to two scouts for the Brewers after they picked me, their area guy from around here and their Canadian supervisor, and they were both saying ‘congratulations and we'll try and sort it out in the next couple of days.’

“I think it should be pretty quick. Then I have to get my work visa to go down to the United States because this is work, which is strange to say.”

Otterman, 215 pounds, played for the Coquitlam Reds of the Premier Baseball League before moving on to Terry McKaig's T-Bird program. He just completed his third season with UBC, posting a 5-4 record in 13 appearances, all starts. He struck out 69 batters and walked 44. His earned run average was 2.96 while his opponents' batting average was .196.

He laughed when asked if he was somewhat comparable to North Delta native Jeff Francis, another lanky lefty from UBC who went ninth overall in 2002 and pitched in the majors for Colorado and Kansas City.

“Ha,” Otterman responded. “Jeff played in the big leagues so I have a ways to go before I'm Jeff Francis. I throw in the low 90s, which I don't think was much different in that respect from him, but I'd say he was a little more polished than I am.”

Recently named to the All-NAIA West team, left-hander David Otterman from the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds — and a graduate of the BCPBL Coquitlam Reds — attracted numerous major league scouts this season and was the top-ranked British Columbian in the Canadian Baseball Network’s draft prospects.

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/6680474.bin

I sometimes wonder if Perfect Game is on the optimistic side of the scouting bell curve overall. Of course, I have only read the Brewers' reports, but they seem pretty bullish on most of our picks.

Ortega's and Rivera's reports sound very much like Yadiel Rivera's when he came up. Both appear to have great upside, especially Edgardo Rivera. PG even suggested the unknown Rivera was being intentionally hidden from other teams by a mystery team because they loved him so much. Juicy gossip!

The pitchers all sound promising. I know Kendall Rogers thought Buck Farmer was an 'absolute steal'.

Two Puerto Ricans in three picks for the Brewers (FYI, Otterman is NOT Puerto Rican)...

BA on Edgardo Rivera: Very, very raw. His running tool is at the top end of the scouting scale. Average outfield arm that needs work, and outfield play in general needs work. Quick left-handed stroke that should produce average, but he'll never hit for power. Will need to spend more than a little time in rookie ball.

BA also noted that both Ortega and Rivera should be signable.

Is Ortega a switch hitter or a right-handed hitter? The scouting report said switch, but the draft notation said right-handed.

I've always been partial to switch-hitters.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thunderbirds ace left-hander impresses Brewers

By Steve Ewen, The Province

The Milwaukee Brewers apparently liked David Otterman's test drive.

Otterman, the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds ace hurler this past season, was selected by the Brewers in the seventh round (245th overall) of the Major League Baseball amateur draft on Tuesday. The Brewers were one of the two clubs that had the left-hander to town for a pre-draft work-out last week; the Seattle Mariners were the other.

He was the second Canadian taken this year, behind Eric Wood, a third baseman from Pickering, Ont., who went in the sixth round to the Pittsburgh Pirates.

"Doing the workout there, I thought I threw the ball well," said Otterman of his visit to Miller Park, the Brewers home field. "They obviously thought I threw the ball well, too.

"I'm thrilled to get the opportunity to move on and play."

The Brewers have long been one of big leagues' big believers in Canadian talent. Their general manager, Doug Melvin, and their assistant general manager, Gord Ash, are both from Ontario. Their scouting staff includes White Rock's Marty Lehn; their major league roster features Comox infielder Taylor Green.

"They try to help out us northerners," said Otterman.

Otterman actually thought he was going to go the Philadelphia Phillies, since he got a call from one of their brass earlier in the day, asking if he would sign if he was drafted by them between the seventh and 10th rounds. They had a pick three selections after Milwaukee grabbed him.

Otterman, 21, meanwhile, throws a fastball consistently in the 90 m.p.h. range, along with a slider, a curve and a change. This past season with UBC, he went 5-3, with a 2.57 earned run average in 13 games, a dozen of which were starts. He allowed only 51 hits in 77 innings, while striking out 72 and walking 45.

Depending on how quickly various signings take place, the 6-foot -3, 210-pound Coquitlam Reds product could go to the one of Milwaukee's Rookie League teams, either the Arizona Brewers of the Arizona League or the Helena Brewers of the Pioneer League, or he could go to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, a team in the Single A Midwest League.

Buck Farmer would be a really nice sign. He's a third round talent this year that could potentially become a late first/supplemental round talent next year if he goes back.

Sounds like he has a nice mid to back-end rotation ceiling, which is not awful for a 15th round pick.

BA on...

16th rounder, 1B Adam Giacalone: "No junior college player has posted more impressive numbers than Giacalone over the last two seasons," good lefty bat speed, average power potential, slow, good defense at first, maybe tempting to try him at 3B or C because he has a really good arm (throws a 91 MPH as a RHP). Ranked #464 best draft prospect, taken 515th overall.

18th rounder, RHP Hunter Adkins: "Ugly career numbers," average fastball, average slurve, changeup not so great, but he has a good pitching frame. So there's that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Buck Farmer and Adam Giacalone both sound like guys the Brewers previously drafted in the mid-teens, but signed to overslot deals (like Scooter Gennett). But the new rules won't allow much of a bump unless someone early in the draft doesn't sign...

So any idea if these guys are "insurance" against a 4-5th rounder from signing? Or is there a legit chance at signing them to 15th/16th round money?

Or is there a legit chance at signing them to 15th/16th round money?

I think this is a little misunderstood. The bonus pool allotted to each team is the pool for the team's entire draft class based on the value of their picks in the first ten rounds. There isn't any slot money, per se. The Brewers could sign each of their top 12 picks to equal $563,725 contracts, or they could give $6,764,700 to one guy and punt on the rest.

After the 10th round, teams are limited to $100K bonuses. Those bonuses do not count against the bonus pool. Any dollar amount over $100K counts against the bonus pool. In essence, the "slot" value of every pick from round 11 to 40 is $100K. So if Buck Farmer signed for $300K (3rd/4th round money), he would cost the Brewers $200K from their bonus pool.

I think this is a little misunderstood. The bonus pool allotted to each team is the pool for the team's entire draft class based on the value of their picks in the first ten rounds. There isn't any slot money, per se. The Brewers could sign each of their top 12 picks to equal $563,725 contracts, or they could give $6,764,700 to one guy and punt on the rest.

I don't think the last bit is quite true. If one of the picks from the first ten rounds doesn't sign, that pick's slot value is removed from the pool the team has to spend.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wait worth it for Terps, Hoyas shortstops

By Tom Schad - The Washington Times

After being widely overlooked on the first two days of the MLB first-year player draft, Maryland and Georgetown shortstops were drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday.

Terrapin Alfredo Rodriguez was picked in the 17th round, and Hoya Mike Garza was chosen less than an hour later in the 20th.

Rodriguez already had a relationship with the Brewers after being selected by them in the 32nd round last year. He opted to return to College Park for his senior season and is fortunate that the organization was willing to wait.

“It’s hard to put it into words,” he said Wednesday, “but it’s been a great experience already through college, and I’m just really excited. I feel blessed that I was able to get this opportunity, and hopefully I’ll make the most of it.”

A finalist for the Brooks Wallace Shortstop of the Year award, Rodriguez started 177 consecutive games for Maryland and tied the school record with 62 career stolen bases. Rodriguez batted .294 with 44 RBI this season and has a program-best 27 sacrifice hits in his four years at College Park.

Garza was spending time in his Texas home when he got the call. The 6-foot, 200-pound redshirt junior was a one-man wrecking crew for the Hoyas this season. He was named to the All-Big East first team and led the Hoyas in hits (86), doubles (21), home runs (eight), RBI (44) and total bases (135). He is only the 12th Georgetown player to be drafted.

“You work hard to get to this point and now it all pays off, so it’s very rewarding,” Garza told Georgetown athletics shortly after being selected.

Saw Eric Semmelhack pitch tonight for the Chinooks. Big kid with a decent delivery. Seems a little "efforty" to me. Not too free and easy. Will have to learn to use his legs a little better.

Sat about 89-91. Did crank 2 up to 94 in the 6th though which was impressive. He needs some coaching, but the body and arm are definitely there.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rodriguez one of four Terps taken

Maryland shortstop Alfredo Rodriguez, who started all of the team’s last 177 games, was the first Terp off the board when he went in the 17th round to the Milwaukee Brewers. The Brewers selected the Oak Hill, Va., native in the 32nd round a year ago, but Rodriguez decided to return to school and be a key leader in the Terps’ turnaround.

“I stayed in touch with them over the offseason, and I was still talking to them leading up to the draft,” Rodriguez said. “They gave me a shot in the 17th round.”

The decision to come back to the Terps last year was tough, Rodriguez said, but it paid off in the end, as he was able to hone his skills both on and off the field as a member of the Terps’ leadership council.

“He’s got the ‘it’ factor, and however you define it, he’s got ‘it,’” Bakich said in early May. “He’s just one of those guys that you know is going to be successful in baseball.”

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

After the 10th round, teams are limited to $100K bonuses. Those bonuses do not count against the bonus pool. Any dollar amount over $100K counts against the bonus pool. In essence, the "slot" value of every pick from round 11 to 40 is $100K. So if Buck Farmer signed for $300K (3rd/4th round money), he would cost the Brewers $200K from their bonus pool.

I couldn't remember the exact details when I asked it, but that is about what I understood...

So my original question would be: Do we think that Buck Farmer and Adam Giacalone will sign for the $100k slot or are these guys that we would need to go over slot (i.e. $200k out of the bonus pool to give them a $300k bonus) to sign?

First the DFE guys were drafted here (mid to late teens). Then it was the draft and sign overslot. Now, I'm wondering if the Brewers were trying to still do something similar.

I don't think the last bit is quite true. If one of the picks from the first ten rounds doesn't sign, that pick's slot value is removed from the pool the team has to spend.

That is too bad. Seems like a fair deal that if someone up front bows out and goes to college, that you have a chance to recover by giving a bit more to a later pick to entice him away. Kind of like drafting "backup" 3-4th round picks.

That is too bad. Seems like a fair deal that if someone up front bows out and goes to college, that you have a chance to recover by giving a bit more to a later pick to entice him away. Kind of like drafting "backup" 3-4th round picks.

I didn't think that was a certainty, and it wasn't how I understood it.

Perhaps Sessile Fielder can clear up the confusion and provide a link(though I realize often times that's hard as you hear things or read things and don't recall where you saw it from).

But I too was under the impression as well that your pre-draft pool was your pool, regardless of who signed or didn't. Ie, if a 1st rounder spurned you and went to college, you still had the same pool.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived