Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

Please use this thread to share your thoughts, links, stories, pictures and anything else on the Brewers' picks on draft day from rounds 1 through 5. Please do not start separate threads to discuss the individual picks.

Please use the in-draft thread to talk about the picks, similar to a game thread.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Coulter and Rouche. Lots of Power. Sign up up Melvin and get them to the bigs NOW, we need them. Ok, in all seriousness though, I love the picks. We have some good young pitchers in the minors right now and I'm glad Melvin/Co, went with offense with our first round. Nicely done DM!

I hope there right about Roaches wrist. I'm sure they did there homework. Big power if he can get back to what he was. Picking power is where the Brewers excell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

he looks like him? reynolds compared him to jim rice and ron gant, either of which would be awesome

I dunno, I'd be kind of disappointed to only get 300 homers out of the 28th overall pick. Plus, what is Ron Gant most known for? Being mugged by Kent Hrbek, that's what. That's loser talk. And what's Jim Rice famous for? Being undeservedly elected to the Hall of Fame and grounding into a double play every time up. Roache better make the Hall of Fame and the Hall of Merit or this is a bust.

I really wanted Piscotty or Gallo. It just figures that St. Louis would take Piscotty and I have to imagine they didn't pick Gallo because of the new bonus rules. I would have rather had a HS pitcher with this pick.

Love the high ceiling roll of the dice with Victor Roache. The kid is a potential superstar. 2-3 years from now he could be hitting clean-up behind Ryan Braun
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

he looks like him? reynolds compared him to jim rice and ron gant, either of which would be awesome

I dunno, I'd be kind of disappointed to only get 300 homers out of the 28th overall pick. Plus, what is Ron Gant most known for? Being mugged by Kent Hrbek, that's what. That's loser talk. And what's Jim Rice famous for? Being undeservedly elected to the Hall of Fame and grounding into a double play every time up. Roache better make the Hall of Fame and the Hall of Merit or this is a bust.

:laughing

Verified Member

I don't know anything, but I really like these picks. Coulter sounds like he will stick at catcher and is willing to sign right away, and to my admittedly untrained eye Roache looks like a complete beast in the hitting footage I've seen. High risk, but I get the feeling that Roache could overshadow a lot of the other players in the draft in a few years.

Haniger also sounds good. Seid's quotes were extremely praiseworthy (seemingly more so than normal).

*Edit* - But how does Coulter have such amazing power when I think it said he only hit 3 HR in high school this season? What were those stats from???

The bats are nice and all, and they are all capable of hitting 20+ HR, but I would've liked to see them take chances with some HS pitchers. Overall a solid 1st round. I would give it a B+, close to an A-.

They can still take a chance on a high school arm the next couple rounds and they have some guys who seem like they should sign relatively cheaply so they might be able to go after a harder to sign high school arm.

I found it very interesting that Sied mentioned 3B as a possibility for Coulter if he moves off catcher. Hopefully that move is made next winter, just like it happened with Lawrie.

A year ago someone did a stat analysis of the top hitters including curves for level of competition. Has anyone done that this year? I'd like to see how Roaches sophomore year compares.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Comp picK: Haniger. Would rather have picked Gallo for the left handed power. Not sure why they passed on the lefty.

Signability.

Haniger went to the same HS as Logan Schafer and is friends with him, so it sounds like he wanted to be a Brewer (i.e. will sign cheaply).

It's nice to see us get some good position player prospects into the system to mix in with all of our young pitching. If Coulter sticks at catcher, it could take a few years before he's MLB-ready defensively, so that should work nicely with Lucroy's contract. Roache is a power-hitting college corner OF who the Brewers hope will play in instructional leagues this season. They could've got a steal if he heals to 100%. If healthy and able to make the instructional leagues, how quickly does everyone think he'll be able to move through our system and make the majors?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

too bad Roache won't play this year, but I like that we were willing to take a chance on a rather refined, elite hitter. Can't wait till reports in the fall start trickling in.

I could see us going pitcher in rounds 2 and 3, then back to position players. 5 consecutive fairly pitcher heavy drafts has really hurt our organizational hitting prospects. We need some more Drew Anderson, Brandon Katin, and Mike Fiers mid-rounders to work out and at least provide organizational depth

Archived