Brewer Fanatic

What is going on with Wily Peralta?

Seriously, he has been just AWFUL in his last several starts.

After a nice start to his season, sans ONE game, he's put up lines up;

3 IP 10 H 9 ER 3 BB 3 SO

6 IP 7 H 5 ER 3 BB 3 SO

1.2 IP 9 H 8R(6ER) 1 BB 1 SO

4.1 6 H 5 ER 6 BB 2 SO

That's 15 IP 25 ER 13 BB and 9 SO's.

That is...absolutely terrible.

At least he's still got a 2.83 GO/FO ratio, but still, after a solid, if unspectacular start to the season, he looks just plain awful right now. For a guy who's already had a Tommy John surgery, it's a bit unsettling.

I'd be curious if he's struggling with any injury issues, where his velocity is at....just basically what the hell is going on with him? Is he just struggling to find his command?

Any insight would be great because it's hard to imagine a guy who pitched so well in AA and AAA at 22 and came in as a top 60 prospect could be pitching THIS poorly night in and night out. In the lower minors you can overlook a start like that with a particular pitcher such as Jungman because you don't know what exactly he's trying to accomplish with his start. It's usually not strictly about getting hitters out, but developing their 3rd and or 4th pitches. But at Peralta's stage, you'd assume he'd have his repetoire and he'd just be going out and trying to earn a spot on the big league roster.

All I have to say is thank god for Fiers right now.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Verified Member
It seems to me that he just hasn't been right since his big league callup. He only pitches 1 inning in a week and then gets send back down. I wonder how things would have unfolded if they have let Peralta start instead of Estrada.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wonder how things would have unfolded if they have let Peralta start instead of Estrada.

[sarcasm]Actually, it was a butterfly in China that flapped its wings to the north. If it had flapped to the south, Peralta would be our ace starter right now....[/sarcasm]

Peralta has been having control issues all year.

2011 AA: 119.2 IP, 8.8 K/9, 3.61 BB/9

2011 AAA: 31.0 IP, 11.6 K/9, 3.19 BB/9

2012 AAA: 54.0 IP, 7.33 K/9, 5.33 BB/9

Now, I'm not sure what has caused him to be wilder this year than last (and really more than any significant sample he has had yet) - some are questioning injury. But I'm pretty sure this recent bout of really poor play is more likely to be caused by his wildness than his 1 IP stint in the bigs.

how much of it is pitching, and how much of it is the team fielding behind him?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

how much of it is pitching, and how much of it is the team fielding behind him?

Well the first thing I would say is that his BB rate is independent of his defense. As far as the overall result, I've never witnessed poor defense doubling any pitcher's ERA.

I was waiting for someone else to post the answer because Mass Haas already provided it here.

Please, everyone, anytime you see anything with Lee Tunnell's name attached to it take the time to watch, listen, or read it. Every interview he does is extremely informative and in this case he tells you exactly what's been wrong with Wily.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

thecrew, the only thing I can think of is poor infield conditions and Brandon Webb. His sinker produced groundballs that often bounced all over. some were called errors, many were ruled hits. At the time the PCL was known for poor infield conditions

Archived