Brewer Fanatic

Is Marcum worth re-signing?

adambr2
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Greinke trade is interesting because we gave up 4 people that have a chance to make an impact in the majors. There aren't many trades like that. Normally the best prospect trades are like the Marcum deal where it's a 1-for-1, stud prospect for good big leaguer.

If Odorizzi were in our system, it likely would have been him called up, not Fiers. He has a chance to be a very good starting pitcher for a long time. Cain can be a productive toolsy player for a long time. Reminds me a bit of Mike Cameron. Escobar is an elite defensive SS, but not much of a hitter. Still, one would imagine his best days are still ahead of him. Jeffress probably will never work out, but may stick in baseball a while because of his velocity. If we traded him, you could hope for a Sabathia-like return (Brantley has worked out and Laporta still might), but as Danzig pointed out an acquiring team likely wouldn't give up for him without a contract extension in hand, since there's no draft pick compensation

When was draft pick compensation implemented? If teams made mid-season trades before draft-pick compensation existed, they will make them after it's gone.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Greinke is a legitmate ace. And the Brewers gave up two B prospects and one C prospect for him for two years.

Odorizzi is a B prospect? Really? Even Sickels who's a notoriously bearish grader has him as a B+. In terms of BA's top 100 his season has put him firmly in the top 40 and he might jump into the top 25. He will supplant Montgomery as KC's #1 overall and while he's not enjoying the success of Bundy early in the year or the tear Hultzen is currently on, he's in the discussion to be in the top 10 pitching prospects in baseball and slots nicely in that Turner to Martinez range from last year's 100.

Grade A prospects are the elite. They have a good chance of becoming stars or superstars. Almost all Grade A prospects develop into major league regulars, if injuries or other problems don't intervene. Note that is a major "if" in some cases.

Grade B prospects have a good chance to enjoy successful careers. Some will develop into stars, some will not. Most end up spending several years in the majors, at the very least in a marginal role.

I'm not sure why you left out Escobar who was no longer prospect eligible but he'll be an average MLB SS if not better for the remainder of his career even though he's 0 for this week.

In terms just pure talent KC got the best arm in the Brewer system at the time, the best pitcher in the system, a capable MLB SS, and one of two 5 tool prospects at the time of the trade in Cain.

While Jeffress who's still just 24 hasn't made an impact and Cain hasn't been able to get past the injury bug, Escobar and Odorizzi have been everything KC could have hoped for if not more. Based on just Escobar and Odorizzi KC has to feel pretty good about the deal and call me a homer but I still like Cain to be productive MLB CF for years.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Greinke is a legitmate ace. And the Brewers gave up two B prospects and one C prospect for him for two years.

Odorizzi is a B prospect?

And not to mention if we don't ask for 4 players in return the quality will surely go up. This was a Richie Sexson type trade for KC. They had a ton of holes to fill and needed a lot of bodies. Had they asked strictly for high ceiling prospects we wouldn't have what it would take to get him.

And quite honestly, not that KC would do this, but if Milwaukee was out of it at the all star break I' may very well take Odorizzi straight up for Greinke. I'd rather have him then taking my chances with 2 draft picks.

Let's not forget we also got an elite shortstop in the deal.

I know Craig Counsell played on a few WS teams but I wouldn't consider him an elite SS.

Rag on Counsell all you want, but you know in your heart that a lesser man would have missed home plate and been tagged out.

Bringing this thread back to Marcum, I wonder if people would be more excited to sign him had we not got burned so bad by Suppan. Outside of velocity there are very few similarities. Marcum continues to be a really good pitcher. His ERA is now around 3.3. He has been very, very good for us outside of a terrible post-season.

At the beginning of this year I felt like I was going to regret the trade but at this point it still looks good for the Brewers. Lawrie is making his power numbers from last year seem a little bit like a fluke, while Marcum continues be a top 20 pitcher in the NL.

Archived