Brewer Fanatic

Martin Maldonado making 1st MLB start tomorrow (Tuesday)

According to Ron Roenicke, Maldonado will be starting at catcher tomorrow and for the next few games as they try to get Kottaras healed up...

I thought it'd be good to give Maldanado his own thread...he and his family have got to be pretty excited, it has been a long road for Martin to get to MLB, as he was a 17 year old rookie in 2004

He is a plus defender with a great arm (42% caught stealing pct. throughout his minor league career) and that will be fun to watch....

He's struggled as a hitter, and is hitting just .198/.270 in AAA this year, but did hit .287/.373 in 2011 dividing his time between AA/AAA.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=maldon001mar

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Well at least since hes coming from Nashville he should be used to catching Fiers.

That is what I was thinking as well...

One thing I like about his approach at the plate is his ability to take walks. His OBP is usually 80-90 points above his batting average every year

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The main reason he's catching is because Kottaras shouldn't be. He'll probably start the next 3-4 games to continue rest Kottaras as Roenicke said. It does work out that Fiers is pitching tomorrow though. At least Kottaras should be available to pinch-hit.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I am glad for the defense as it was painful to watch Abreu steal a base last night. K-Rod probably had something to do with that though. I wonder how Randy Wolf will handle the switch.

I wonder how Randy Wolf will handle the switch.

Yes it is important that George rests up for the next 3 games and is ready for the next time Wolf starts, otherwise Randy's head might explode!

I'm looking forward to seeing what we have in Maldonado. He projects as a great fielding backup catcher who could really help an MLB team

Once Kottaras is healed, what should we expect? Will Kottaras will play 4/5 of the time, will we have a "normal" platoon, will one get 3 pitchers and the other 2? It'll be interesting to see how Roenicke plays this.

While I'm happy for the Maldonado household, I really hope Lucroy is a quick healer.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I hope Lucroy is a fast healer too... that said I'm very intrigued with Maldonado as I see him as our backup Catcher of the future. I'm trying to remember the last time the Brewers had a Catcher that was as good defensively as Maldonado....

Kendall was very good but Maldonado has a better arm. Maldonado might be better than Chad Moeller & Damian Miller, too

Once Kottaras is healed, what should we expect? Will Kottaras will play 4/5 of the time, will we have a "normal" platoon, will one get 3 pitchers and the other 2? It'll be interesting to see how Roenicke plays this.

While I'm happy for the Maldonado household, I really hope Lucroy is a quick healer.

My guess is Kottaras plays against RHP and when Wolf pitches, and Maldonado plays against LHP and when Fiers pitches.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think that once Kottaras is 100% he will start a majority of the games. More than likely Kottaras will start 4 out of every 5 games until Lucroy is back. They will sit Kottaras in the typical way that teams sit their #1 Catchers, i.e. day games after night games or particularly tough matchups/splits.

If so, give Maldonado Greinke and Gallardo because Kottaras is just awful at blocking balls behind the plate.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I've been so busy, I haven't had much chance to follow the Brewers lately. So it was quite a surprise to see Fiers (ok, I kind of knew that one), Maldonado, and Conrad all in the box last night!

But Fiers and Maldonado are two of the "underdogs" in our system that I enjoy following. Great job guys!

I think who calls a better game is a fairly small marginal factor. They all gameplan together and the pitcher has the final say. I think it's more our pitchers have gotten in a better groove while playing some lesser hitting teams.

Maldonado is much better defensively than George and probably Luc. He's significantly better than George with a bad hammy.

I'm impressed...my guess is he makes George expendable at some point.

Archived