Brewer Fanatic

The Melvin / Zduriencik / Seid Draft Years -- "The Unsigned Picks"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Yes, I still plan on finishing this series, but for now, wanted to post this feature article on 2008 50th round LHP Sean Nolin, now a Blue Jays' prime prospect.

Sean Nolin's All-Star First Half

Lefty Leads the Florida State League in Wins, Second in ERA

Sean Nolin featured on Bluebird Banter

And yes, still have plans to tidy up thus thread and provide a complete list with comments.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, that's a nice write-up on Covey, I wouldn't have changed what I wrote on him in the draft forum, but here's hoping he makes the most of the opportunity in front of him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thanks for posting that link, Mass. It reminded me how ticked off I was that he didn't sign. It seemed like such a weak excuse. But my perspective changed over Thanksgiving weekend last year when my 13-year-old son, Andrew, was also diagnosed with Type I diabetes. Knowing what I know now, I believe Dylan absolutely did the right thing. I am so glad he has a chance to essentially start over.

Dylan actually just emailed Andrew last night, offering encouragement and advice. I had contacted Dylan's coach to see if he might be interested in doing something like that and within a couple of hours Andrew received a long, thoughtful note. I'm honored that he agreed to be a mentor and role model for my boy, and I couldn't be rooting harder for him. Hopefully Dylan can someday end up in a Brewer uniform afterall.

• 3 weeks later...

Carlos Rodon Fans 14 In Combined No-Hitter

Appalachian State handed Carlos Rodon his first loss as a collegian in N. C. State's season-opening 6-3 setback. Apparently it made him angry. La Salle did not like him when he was angry. The sophomore lefty improved to 10-1 in his Wolfpack career, setting a career high with 14 strikeouts and combining with Karl Keglovits to no hit the Privateers Saturday at Doak Field.

The 2011 Draft History:

“Rodon, a left-hander who was chosen MVP of the NCHSAA 4-A state championship series last week, was taken much later than projected, falling to the Milwaukee Brewers in the 16th round (491st overall).

One of the major reasons Rodon, who was projected by most outlets as being a top-five-round selection, fell hundreds of picks later was what baseball pundits call “signability.” Rodon and his parents value the college experience and education, and MLB teams knew it would take a signing bonus in the range of supplemental round’s slotted range (about $750,000 to $800,000) to sign him away from his commitment to play at N.C. State next season.

The Brewers called Rodon in the fourth round to ask if he would sign for that round’s slot money, which is estimated at about $250,000. He declined and was taken by the team 12 rounds later without a phone call beforehand.

“It’s definitely a business. I’ve learned a lot about how people truly are,” Rodon said. “I got drafted a lot later than I expected, but it happens. Being drafted is pretty great, and especially on top of a state championship (last week).”

Rodon struck out 135 batters this season, the most in the Triangle, with a 1.40 ERA. Over his past three seasons, he went 23-2 as a starter. During a complete-game two-hit shutout in the first game of the 4-A championship series, his fastball was clocked at 93 mph in the first inning and only trailed off to 90 mph by the seventh.

Rodon is now a near-consensus as the top overall pick of the 2014 draft. He may become Houston's or Miami's David Price, depending on who gets the first pick two summers from now.

It'll eventually be known as the worst extra $600,000 the Brewers never spent.

Archived