Brewer Fanatic

Capuano

Haven't seen this discussed anywhere so I figured I would start a thread.

A lot of what if here, but wouldn't it have been nice to have been able to hang onto Capuano. He has been awesome this year for the Dodgers. I can't recall exactly why the Brewers let him walk. I know there were the injury concerns but was he really not at option as a 5th starter going into 2011?

I would take him right now over Wolf or Estrada. Frankly, he is been better this year than any pitcher on the Brewers roster by a long shot.

Not much else to talk about with this team.

After his 2nd Tommy John surgery he was thought of as not as good of a pitcher as Chris Narveson going into 2011 (and much more of a risk).

$$$ was definitely a factor in that decision as well as Capuano was paid $1.5 million by the Mets whereas Narveson made $441,000 in 2011

Their ERA's and ERA+ scores in 2011 were pretty similar, with Narveson being slightly better/

Capuano's story is really one of incredible perverseness and toughness and it is good to see his success

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

It was Narveson or Capuano. At the time they looked pretty equal except Narv dog was younger and cheaper. It was a pretty easy call at the time I thought.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

It was as simple as this, Capuano told the Brewers, "One year, one million, and give me a chance to win the 5th starter spot in the spring."

They told him no, they told him Narveson was their guy for the rotation. The Brewers wanted Capuano back, as insurance in the bullpen in case of injury, but he wanted to be a starter. He would still be here, if they'd have given him the one-year deal and a chance to compete for the rotation last spring. Even if Narveson had won the spot, Chris would have lived with that and then pitched in relief, in the role Estrada filled last year.

All I know, is that I snagged him in all of my fantasy leagues, and he has been nothing short of spectacular!

I even just pulled off a trade this week, Capuano for Gallardo straight up. I got Gallardo. I hope I don't regret it. As of now, Cappy is the far better fantasy option, but I figured getting Gallardo when he hasn't been so great (buying low), and getting rid of Capuano before he comes back down to earth was a wise move...

We shall see. As of now, I am regretting my decision.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I always hate when we give up on guys and they succeed. But in this case, as others have said, we had a pretty reasonable basis for letting Cappy go. Plus he's one of my favorite Brewers ever -- just seemed like a really good guy who loved the city. I'm really, really happy to see him succeed on a big stage.

Archived