Brewer Fanatic

The injury thread [Latest 5/28: Luc to 15-day DL with hand fracture]

AZBrewCrew
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not that it really matters, but especially for a guy who gets hit in the hand with baseballs every day, the whole sock/suitcase story seems pretty unbelievable. I suppose it's possible, but outside of an extremely heavy suitcase hitting you in just the right spot, I'd find it hard to believe that a suitcase falling from a low-sitting hotel bed onto your hand would result in more than about 3 seconds of minor pain the vast majority of the time.

Not saying he's lying, (and it really doesn't matter), but I think it's entirely possible that the real story is more embarrassing and this was the best story he could come up with on the way to the park. If true -- pretty crazy, especially with all the injuries so far.

Didn't see your post...but obviously I agree.

I think we need to sit Braun now for the sake of his health. This is ridiculous.

I said yestserday that Braun should be sitting just because he clearly isn't healthy. There was a double hit over his head that Braun catches 9 times out of 10.

Now I'm not saying that he's a good defender, but despite him not always getting a good read on the ball or mis-playing it, when he does get a beat on it, he can cover some ground. This ball bounced about a step and a half away from him before the track(or just on it, can't quite recall) and I thought watching Braun it was gone just the way he was jogging after it.

Either after 5 years Braun has gotten lazy, or that achillies and or hamstring injury is sure hampering him right now. If it's the prior...I wouldn't mess with it. It'd be like Gallardo having a sore elbow.

THAT SAID, I'm not as worried as I probably should be. Aram's hitting well, Aoki looks like Ichiro(please refrain, I'm using hyperbole, but he looks like a very good hitter) and Hart is hitting well.

If Morgan can come around, Gomez is in a funk(otherwise known as his entire career, but if he can get back to TAKING that 1st pitch slider that you know is coming and that he did for 6 weeks) and Weeks can finally turn it around our offense could be alright.

I keep dogging on Kottaras, and he's AWFUL defensively, but I just looked going into tonights game and his OBP was like .460 or something outrageous. If he can just go .220/.360/.420 I'll be happy.

I'm also confident that Fiers will come through and pitch well. Not great, but 6 2/3 4 ER's type well...well enough that he can help get our rotation stabilized. Nothing's really changed from last years rotation to this years. They're actually looking good.

Edit-Good god I just went back and counted the "If's," in my optimistic outlook. Ok, start calling teams. Greinke, Hart, Marcum, Wolf, Morgan....short of a 8-2 run which we need with these guys OUT or banged up...we're going to be a seller.

And good GOD I hope I'm wrong about Profar and those I've debated with are right and he can be had for Greinke.

Braun is not going to sit. He's going to play at whatever percent healthy he is - you don't sit your best player. If he needs to sit he can go on the disabled list.

Sorry, my Braun comment should have been in blue. I was posting from my phone at the time

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Jon's "wife" is clearly a double agent.

First thing that popped into my head when I read this post. Also a sign that I've been watching too much Adult Swim.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/asfix/repository/8a25c39212e334eb0112e3f0f2fa00a4/promos-delocated-sample.jpg

How many more injuries can this team take? This is like the Packers, players dropping left and right. :angry
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

FWIW, Maldonado's Zips projection is .230 .296 .332. That's not too terrible, I suppose. He's a fine backup replacement (isn't he known as a solid defensive catcher?), but he just can't replace what Lucroy has been doing this season.

This sucks.

Can we come up with a list of players on the Nashville opening day roster that have been in Milwaukee this season?

Conrad, Green, Farris, Maysonet, Maldonado, Fiers, Peralta, McClendon, Chulk, Perez

That's ten I count. Am I missing anybody? I don't think we've called up anybody from AA yet, but I could be mistaken.

Adambr already touched on this, but I've also had a boxers fracture (this past February I punched a wall, not my proudest moment). My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon, and when I used my "it got stepped on playing soccer" story he laughed in my face. He said he's seen thousands of them, and they're almost always a result of punching something. Very rarely it can result from something like running and falling and having your closed fist strike something (like the corner of a stair). There are probably others, but it happens because the momentum of your fist strikes something stationary. Not vice versa. So this is almost assuredly a fabricated story. Hopefully luc has a better excuse than me or adambr. I'll go ahead and assume he was protecting his wife's honor.

The awful rash of injuries has likely sabotaged any chance this year. But there's still some 110+ games to play. So what do you do now? It's an opportunity if they are willing to sacrifice a shot at being respectable. Greinke's value is considerably higher now than it will be in July. See what you can get for him now instead of waiting. Replace him in the rotation with Thornburg. I'd say the same for K-Rod. I liked the pickup of Ransom, but bring up Bianchi and let him play everyday. There was nothing more depressing than watching guys like David Bell out there at the end of 2006. No knock on Bell, but that didn't do anything for the future. Get rid of Morgan and bring up Schafer too. Morgan's a year to year guy anyway.

Fans can accept this not being their year. In a way, Melvin and Roenicke get a free pass. Fans would prefer to see young players over veteran fill-ins.

Community Moderator
So our best player is going to miss up to 1/4 of the season because he (probably) punched something? He has good reason to make up a story because he's going to look like a complete idiot if the truth comes out.

He is a catcher, I'd just assume he took a ball off his hand at some point and didn't notice it right away. There doesn't need to be some big conspiracy theory about it.

It swells up pretty quickly, he would have noticed it. I also don't know why he would be making a fist behind the plate. Or why he would say something about a suitcase if it was baseball related

I think speculating that there's some conspiracy and Lucroy punched something (or someone) is pretty silly. If he was going to make up a story, why would he make it be something lame like having a suitcase dropped on his hand by his wife? Makes his wife look careless/stupid for one thing.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Makes his wife look careless/stupid for one thing.

Two birds with one stone :tongue .

I don't think it's that silly to speculate that he actually punched something. I remember trying to make up an excuse after I punched a wall for my bruised up hand. The best I could do was "I punched a wall".

I think speculating that there's some conspiracy and Lucroy punched something (or someone) is pretty silly. If he was going to make up a story, why would he make it be something lame like having a suitcase dropped on his hand by his wife? Makes his wife look careless/stupid for one thing.

Most people are embarrassed when they can't control their anger and they lash out and punch something. A friend of mine broke his hand, and rather than tell the truth he said he hurt it snorkeling (he was living in Japan at the time). It happens.

I am not surprised at all by the story, but if it's truly a boxer's fracture, then he was making a fist at about the exact same time the suitcase came down and hit his hand. Resulting in an injury you see 99/100 times when someone punches a very hard object. Maybe a suitcase really did hit his hand, but it's not unreasonable to think that this story is a coverup and his wife is taking some of the blame so that he doesn't feel as silly if he would say "I was frustrated by ____________ and punched the hotel room door." Not to mention, he'd be going on the DL as the hottest hitter on the team and might feel some backlash from brass/fans for punching whatever it is he admitted to.

That's the last thing I will say on the subject. Bottom line is that he's on the DL and this further hurts the team.

If you are reaching under a bed for a sock how does the suitcase land on your hand? Wouldn't your hand be under the bed? If you are on your knees and the suitcase is falling toward your plant hand wouldn't you easily either move the hand or "catch" the suitcase with your shoulder? A sock isn't going to slide too far under a bed in a carpeted room that you need to lay flat on the ground to reach it, not to mention nearly every hotel I have been in has a bed frame that goes all the way to the ground so you can't even get anything under it. This story seems pretty fishy, not completely impossible by the laws of physics, but pretty darn unlikely.

If you are reaching under a bed for a sock how does the suitcase land on your hand?

The "other" hand was likely the hand that got hit. That, or it happened as he was sliding his hand out from under the bed.

If you are on your knees and the suitcase is falling toward your plant hand wouldn't you easily either move the hand or "catch" the suitcase with your shoulder?

He didn't see it coming?

Here's my new conspiracy theory:

1) Roenicke tells Randy Wolf that he's going to try starting Lucroy behind the plate in one of his starts due to his hot bat.

2) Wolf angry.

3) Hooded man in black comes into Lucroy's hotel room to ensure Kottaras gets the next start.

4) Lucroy struggles, punches through his chest and hits a wall. The assailant is placed in the dumpster next to the hotel.

From what I gather a portion of the fanbase believes Luc is a liar with an anger management problem.

People are free to hold their own opinions. Just don't say that these assertions aren't personal attacks on the guy, because they are.

pebader that is a bit of over exaggeration there. I could take the opposite of your post and say that anyone who believes him is a naive sucker who falls for anything their favorite athlete says. That's about the tone and context of your accusation.

Players hide the nature of stupid off the field injuries, it really isn't unusual. Nobody is saying he ran around and trashed his hotel room in a fit of rage.

Here's my new conspiracy theory:

1) Roenicke tells Randy Wolf that he's going to try starting Lucroy behind the plate in one of his starts due to his hot bat.

2) Wolf angry.

3) Hooded man in black comes into Lucroy's hotel room to ensure Kottaras gets the next start.

4) Lucroy struggles, punches through his chest and hits a wall. The assailant is placed in the dumpster next to the hotel.

This seems plausible.

Archived