Brewer Fanatic

The injury thread [Latest 5/28: Luc to 15-day DL with hand fracture]

AZBrewCrew
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The injuries in all of MLB this year are rather stunning. Every day it seems as though another pitcher is on the DL with problems, or position player. I've noticed it more with pitchers this year.

There must be some kind of curse on the Brewers this season. After this Lucroy injury it seems confirmed to me. And this injury was to our hottest hitter. Not good.

Hopefully the curse will be lifted when we draft Fielder's son in 13 years.

Not that it really matters, but especially for a guy who gets hit in the hand with baseballs every day, the whole sock/suitcase story seems pretty unbelievable. I suppose it's possible, but outside of an extremely heavy suitcase hitting you in just the right spot, I'd find it hard to believe that a suitcase falling from a low-sitting hotel bed onto your hand would result in more than about 3 seconds of minor pain the vast majority of the time.

Not saying he's lying, (and it really doesn't matter), but I think it's entirely possible that the real story is more embarrassing and this was the best story he could come up with on the way to the park. If true -- pretty crazy, especially with all the injuries so far.

So. Boxer's fracture of the right hand. 15-day DL, Maldonado coming up. Fiers is coming up too.

Gord Ash's initial estimate is 4-6 weeks out for Luc.

Who can tell me much about a boxer's fracture?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

outside of an extremely heavy suitcase hitting you in just the right spot, I'd find it hard to believe that a suitcase falling from a low-sitting hotel bed onto your hand would result in more than about 3 seconds of minor pain the vast majority of the time.

Could be an extremely heavy suitcase; could be a rolling suitcase and he got schmucked by one of the casters; and it must have been in just the right spot. :(

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Lucroy told mlb.com's Adam McCalvy that he was reaching under the bed for a sock when his wife shifted a suitcase and it fell off the bed onto his hand.

Epic.

Am I the only one who thinks they'll find out this is a completely ridiculous story and that he punched something?

He's going on the DL as having a fractured hand, or otherwised known as a "boxer's break."

Yeah...sounds like he was "reaching under his bed for a sock and a suitcase(filled with what, bricks? He's a big leaguer, how heavy is his suitcase? Even if it was filled with clothes?) fell on his hands.

C'mon.

The only reason I'd believe him is because he's so calm and cool, but I think this was a domestic dispute and the wall was the suitcase(argument, not making any accusations, nor would I think less of him if he got into an argument and punched a wall out of frustration) or it happened after a bad AB, the most likely scenario. He was a little upset with himself a couple times in recent games when he made an out.

Doesn't change my opinion of him, but it's either the nail in the coffin, or like the Packers in 2010, it's going to make our resurgence all the sweeter.

(For the record, not exactly holding my breath for the second option.....)

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

As someone who has had a boxer's fracture, and did indeed lie about it, (I was 19, I punched the hard floor of a college dorm room drunk. However that is certainly not what I told my parents or doctor), I think it's probably something fabricated.

I'm not saying Lucroy's version is impossible, it's just pretty unlikely.

Anyway, like I said before, it really doesn't matter. If there's any more to this than what we know, it'll never come out anyway.

He might've had his fist closed around the sock when the suitcase fell on his hand. Could've been a heavy suitcase too. So it's a plausible story. Still, it really doesn't matter. The point is that this injury is a killer. The two guys we could absolutely not afford to lose are Braun and Lucroy, and we just lost Lucroy for 4-6 weeks.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Not that it really matters, but especially for a guy who gets hit in the hand with baseballs every day, the whole sock/suitcase story seems pretty unbelievable. I suppose it's possible, but outside of an extremely heavy suitcase hitting you in just the right spot, I'd find it hard to believe that a suitcase falling from a low-sitting hotel bed onto your hand would result in more than about 3 seconds of minor pain the vast majority of the time.

Not saying he's lying, (and it really doesn't matter), but I think it's entirely possible that the real story is more embarrassing and this was the best story he could come up with on the way to the park. If true -- pretty crazy, especially with all the injuries so far.

Didn't see your post...but obviously I agree.

I think we need to sit Braun now for the sake of his health. This is ridiculous.

I said yestserday that Braun should be sitting just because he clearly isn't healthy. There was a double hit over his head that Braun catches 9 times out of 10.

Now I'm not saying that he's a good defender, but despite him not always getting a good read on the ball or mis-playing it, when he does get a beat on it, he can cover some ground. This ball bounced about a step and a half away from him before the track(or just on it, can't quite recall) and I thought watching Braun it was gone just the way he was jogging after it.

Either after 5 years Braun has gotten lazy, or that achillies and or hamstring injury is sure hampering him right now. If it's the prior...I wouldn't mess with it. It'd be like Gallardo having a sore elbow.

THAT SAID, I'm not as worried as I probably should be. Aram's hitting well, Aoki looks like Ichiro(please refrain, I'm using hyperbole, but he looks like a very good hitter) and Hart is hitting well.

If Morgan can come around, Gomez is in a funk(otherwise known as his entire career, but if he can get back to TAKING that 1st pitch slider that you know is coming and that he did for 6 weeks) and Weeks can finally turn it around our offense could be alright.

I keep dogging on Kottaras, and he's AWFUL defensively, but I just looked going into tonights game and his OBP was like .460 or something outrageous. If he can just go .220/.360/.420 I'll be happy.

I'm also confident that Fiers will come through and pitch well. Not great, but 6 2/3 4 ER's type well...well enough that he can help get our rotation stabilized. Nothing's really changed from last years rotation to this years. They're actually looking good.

Edit-Good god I just went back and counted the "If's," in my optimistic outlook. Ok, start calling teams. Greinke, Hart, Marcum, Wolf, Morgan....short of a 8-2 run which we need with these guys OUT or banged up...we're going to be a seller.

And good GOD I hope I'm wrong about Profar and those I've debated with are right and he can be had for Greinke.

He might've had his fist closed around the sock when the suitcase fell on his hand. Could've been a heavy suitcase too. So it's a plausible story. Still, it really doesn't matter. The point is that this injury is a killer. The two guys we could absolutely not afford to lose are Braun and Lucroy, and we just lost Lucroy for 4-6 weeks.

Yeah, but a punchers fracture isn't usually caused by something falling ON the top of it, it's caused by your hand being in a fist and something hitting it flush.

Now what sounds more likely, something hit his hand, or his hand hit something?

I'd have liked to use that story when I was 19 in a bar fight. "No officer, I didn't punch him, he hit me with his head in my hand...THAT'S why it's broken!" I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten a disorderly conduct!

Is Kottaras really that bad defensively? I hear this a lot, so I'm just looking for a little more elaboration on that. He's got a weak arm, but he seems to block balls okay, at least he did tonight, and he seems to "call a good game", though maybe I'm just making that up in my mind to justify his defensive shortcomings.

I don't know, from the eye test I don't think he has been that bad this season, but maybe it will be more obvious when he's starting pretty much every day.

Didn't see your post...but obviously I agree.

I think we need to sit Braun now for the sake of his health. This is ridiculous.

I said yestserday that Braun should be sitting just because he clearly isn't healthy. There was a double hit over his head that Braun catches 9 times out of 10.

Now I'm not saying that he's a good defender, but despite him not always getting a good read on the ball or mis-playing it, when he does get a beat on it, he can cover some ground. This ball bounced about a step and a half away from him before the track(or just on it, can't quite recall) and I thought watching Braun it was gone just the way he was jogging after it.

Either after 5 years Braun has gotten lazy, or that achillies and or hamstring injury is sure hampering him right now. If it's the prior...I wouldn't mess with it. It'd be like Gallardo having a sore elbow.

THAT SAID, I'm not as worried as I probably should be. Aram's hitting well, Aoki looks like Ichiro(please refrain, I'm using hyperbole, but he looks like a very good hitter) and Hart is hitting well.

If Morgan can come around, Gomez is in a funk(otherwise known as his entire career, but if he can get back to TAKING that 1st pitch slider that you know is coming and that he did for 6 weeks) and Weeks can finally turn it around our offense could be alright.

I keep dogging on Kottaras, and he's AWFUL defensively, but I just looked going into tonights game and his OBP was like .460 or something outrageous. If he can just go .220/.360/.420 I'll be happy.

I'm also confident that Fiers will come through and pitch well. Not great, but 6 2/3 4 ER's type well...well enough that he can help get our rotation stabilized. Nothing's really changed from last years rotation to this years. They're actually looking good.

Edit-Good god I just went back and counted the "If's," in my optimistic outlook. Ok, start calling teams. Greinke, Hart, Marcum, Wolf, Morgan....short of a 8-2 run which we need with these guys OUT or banged up...we're going to be a seller.

And good GOD I hope I'm wrong about Profar and those I've debated with are right and he can be had for Greinke.

Braun is not going to sit. He's going to play at whatever percent healthy he is - you don't sit your best player. If he needs to sit he can go on the disabled list.

Is Kottaras really that bad defensively? I hear this a lot, so I'm just looking for a little more elaboration on that. He's got a weak arm, but he seems to block balls okay, at least he did tonight, and he seems to "call a good game".

He has gotten a lot better than he used to be, he's clearly worked very hard at it. His career MLB caught stealing % is just 16%, which is horrific. That is the kind of fielding % where they eventually find a different position for you... but it is better this year... in the bigger sample of his minor league stats it is at 25%

I think he's improved significantly at the other aspects of catching in the last few years. He's not great, or even very good, but he's not the liability he used to be

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived