Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Fri. 5/25 -- Bradley Hittable in Return Start

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Friday's Daily Menu: TGIF!

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Seth McClung at home vs. Round Rock (Rangers), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Kyle Heckathorn at home vs. Birmingham (White Sox), 6:28 PM pre-game, 6:43 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: A total of 24 Stars' games (in Jacksonville and Tennessee) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: LHP Jed Bradley at Dunedin (Blue Jays), 5:30 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Dunedin feed from the MiLB main audio page

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: RHP Chad Thompson at Quad Cities (Cardinals), 6:40 PM pre-game, 7:00 gametime; if form holds, we'll see RHP Mark Williams in the tandem

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and 24 Stars' road games (one Helena series this summer, too).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Much deserved -- Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet

No. 12 JIMMY NELSON, RHP BREWERSTeam: high Class A Brevard County (Florida State)

Why He's Here: 1-1, 1.13, 2 GS, 16 IP, 11 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 12 Ks.

The Scoop: Before the season ever began, some Brewers officials would point out that Nelson could match highly regarded 2011 draftees Taylor Jungmann and Jed Bradley pitch for pitch. Right now he's topping them pitch for pitch. Pitching for the same Brevard County team, Nelson leads the trio in ERA (2.13), strikeout rate (8.81 per nine innings), walk rate (2.27 per nine) and WHIP (1.07). Nelson is especially nightmarish for righthanded batters. They are hitting an ugly .157/.181/.230 against him.

Lots of catching up to do as my last 3 days have been extremely busy for various reasons.

Anthony Rizzo Hits 16th Home Run For Cubs

Posted May. 24, 2012 12:30 pm by Ben Badler

Filed under: Daily Dish

Anthony Rizzo sure loves the Pacific Coast League.

The Cubs' Triple-A Iowa first baseman hit his 16th home run of the year yesterday, ranking him second in the minors and only one home run behind minor league leader Brad Eldred, a 31-year-old with the Tigers in Triple-A.

Rizzo, who is hitting .355/.420/.710 in 44 games, ranks third in the minors in OPS. Between this season and his stint with Tucson last year when he was with the Padres, Rizzo now has 42 home runs in 137 games in the PCL. At some point, he should get another crack at a big league job, but with Bryan LaHair hitting like an all-star, Rizzo may have to wait a while to get that chance, even if it's looking like he's ready right now.

Rizzo is also #4 in this week's hot sheet which Mass linked earlier.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

BA's Hot Sheet

In the team photo:

No minor league performance may be so singularly impressive this season as that of high Class A Bakersfield LHP Tony Cingrani, who has allowed a mere 12 runs in nine starts in the pitcher's nightmare that is the California League. The 21-year-old allowed 12 hits and two walks in 11 1/3 innings in two starts this week, but he bore down when it counted, allowing just four runs (three earned) and striking out 16. The Reds 2011 third-rounder now leads the Cal League in ERA (1.05), strikeouts (69), WHIP (0.92) and opponent average (.188)

Pirates CF Mel Rojas Jr. hit his first two home runs of the year for high Class A Bradenton. Rojas has had to endure a steep learning curve since being drafted in the third round in 2010, but the switch-hitter has improved against southpaws after batting .200/.260/.281 in 2011. The Pirates like the 22-year-old's upside and still view him as a five-tool player . . .

Not so hot:

Robbie Grossman, of, Pirates. With the Pirates' big league offense nearing historic records of futility, any hitting prospect in the upper minors would appear to be on the fast track to a spot in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Grossman, he's making the doubters of his outstanding 2011 season seem prescient. The 22-year-old ranked among the best players in the Florida State League last year, but some scouts were not sold, pointing out he was repeating the level while also wondering if he would end up being an outfield tweener. Grossman is still drawing walks, but his .202 batting average is killing the rest of his game. His strikeout rate hasn't jumped appreciably, so there is hope that some of this is just some early season bad luck, but an 0-for-18 week isn't aiding those hopes.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Lohman homers twice, plates six

Second baseman relishing hitting behind speedster Hamilton

By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/05/23/yr3QJfqw.jpg

Devin Lohman has five homers in 45 California League games. (Ricky Bassman/MiLB.com)

Reds' second base prospect Devin Lohman enjoys playing up the middle with Billy Hamilton as his double-play partner. On Tuesday, Lohman reaped the rewards of hitting behind the speedy leadoff hitter.

Lohman went 3-for-6 with his first multi-homer game and a career-high six RBIs in the Class A Advanced Bakersfield Blaze's 14-6 win over the host Visalia Rawhide.

"It's pretty easy when you have runners in scoring position all the time," Lohman said. "Tonight was all because of the guys getting on base.

"I don't believe I've had a two-home run game since Babe Ruth League when I was 14. I don't usually hit two home runs."

Lohman plated Billy Hamilton with an RBI groundout in the first inning after the shortstop doubled to lead off the game and stole third base. In the second, Hamilton drew a two-out walk and swiped second base -- his Minors-best 42nd steal -- and Lohman followed with a three-run homer off rookie Ross Gerdeman to left field.

"I had seen [Gerdeman's] slider early on, so I knew he was going to throw something off-speed," the 23-year-old said. "He left a slider up and it didn't break much and I was able to put the barrel on it. I thought it was gone, but I'm not a power hitter, so I ran it out."

Lohman then slugged his second longball of the night off Gerdeman with a two-run shot down the third-base line.

"It was a battle," Lohman added. "He kept throwing more off-speed and there were quite a few pitches. He threw a two-seam and left it up."

Lohman had three chances to smack his third homer, but he struck out in the fifth and the seventh and reached on an infield single in the ninth.

Selected in the third round of the 2010 Draft out of Long Beach State, Lohman has played alongside Hamilton at almost every stage of his development.

The pair played together in Billings in their first seasons of professional baseball in 2010, and Lohman spent most of last summer hitting behind MLB.com's No. 30 prospect in Dayton.

"We have a good professional connection and we know what each other's strengths are and we play off that. We both know each other pretty well," Lohman said.

"He sets the table really well and makes it each to get those RBIs. You're always able to get pitches [to hit] when he is on base."

The California native batted .239 with a homer and 31 RBIs in 64 Pioneer League games in 2010, and he hit .272 with 10 homers and 69 RBIs across three levels between Rookie-level Billings, Dayton and Bakersfield in 2011.

He had only plated more than three runs once before in his previous 238 games. He recorded five RBIs for the Mustangs in a 14-2 rout of the Great Falls Voyagers on Aug. 12, 2010 -- a game in which he also batted behind Hamilton.

On Tuesday, left fielder Juan Duran finished 3-for-5 with two doubles and four RBIs, and third baseman Travis Mattair collected three of Bakersfield's season-high 19 hits and scored three times.

Bakersfield starter Josh Smith (2-4) allowed four runs -- three earned -- on five hits and a walk while striking out five batters over 6 1/3 innings.

Gerdeman (0-1) allowed seven runs on nine hits and a walk while fanning four batters over 3 1/3 frames in his first Minors start.

- Plato

- Plato

not divisional, but wow... I'm sure some posters around here wish the Brewers were this aggressive

Orioles promote Bundy to Frederick

O's first-rounder had 40 strikeouts in 30 innings before move

By Danny Wild / MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/05/23/dhsSuqq3.jpg

Baltimore's Dylan Bundy held opponents hitless in his first four starts. (Dano Keeney/MiLB.com)

Dylan Bundy, the Minors' worst-kept secret, finally received the news that fans and the media alike have been waiting for: he's moving up.

Bundy was promoted by Baltimore to Class A Advanced Frederick on Wednesday afternoon and is slated to make his Keys debut on May 26. The No. 4 overall pick and top high school player taken in the 2011 First-Year Player Draft dominated in the Class A South Atlantic League in eight outings, pushing the O's hand to make a move two months into the season.

Bundy, whose older brother Bobby also pitches for the Orioles, did not allow an earned run in 30 innings at Class A Delmarva and gave up just five hits and two walks. He struck out 40 and did not allow a hit in his first four outings.

"What's important are the skills he develops to become a Major League pitcher," Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said of Bundy's promotion.

The Orioles said Bundy will stay in the range of 125-130 innings in his first pro season -- he's been limited thus far in terms of innings rather than pitch counts as the O's look to ease the former Oklahoma high schooler into professional baseball. But with a fastball that flirts with 100 mph and nasty off-speed pitches, the O's top pitching prospect -- and MLB.com's No. 8 overall -- has been a promotion-in-waiting since his hitless Opening Day debut on April 6.

"He can get players out because he has an exceptional fastball," Duquette said. "We want him to get where he needs to be to be a Major League pitcher, and that means working on changing speeds and his breaking pitches."

Bundy has relied primarily on his fastball in each start but sprinkles in changeups and curveballs here and there. The numbers speak for themselves -- and Orioles fans would love to see the 6-foot-1 right-hander in Camden Yards by September -- but the Orioles are unlikely to rush his development at this point.

According to MLB.com, Duquette said on Tuesday that director of pitching development Rick Peterson has compared Bundy's season to his "freshman year," a thinking that supports the organization's slow-moving plans for the Owasso (Okla.) High School product.

Bundy's young career includes four hitless outings and four starts with six strikeouts or more, although he's only worked five innings twice in eight outings. He struck out nearly every batter he retired on May 8, whiffing eight in three frames.

Bundy's most recent start came May 20, when he held Hagerstown to one hit over five innings, his second straight game in which he pitched five frames. A good performance at Frederick cou

- Plato

- Plato

Marauders' Cole wins third straight

Pirates prospect yields four hits over five scoreless innings

By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/05/23/egd4AJpw.jpg

Gerrit Cole ranks 10th in the Florida State League with a 2.60 ERA. (Mark LoMoglio/MiLB.com)

This time last year, Gerrit Cole's focus was split between graduating from college and pitching UCLA toward the College World Series.

Twelve months and an $8 million signing bonus later, Cole's priorities may have changed. But his alma mater still holds a special place in his heart.

MLB.com's No. 9 prospect scattered four hits over five scoreless innings Wednesday as the Class A Advanced Bradenton Marauders cruised to a 6-1 win over the Lakeland Flying Tigers.

The victory was the third straight for the top overall pick in last year's Draft. But as much as he's learned about pitching during his brief professional career, the things he picked up in college have helped shape him as a person.

"You just have a lot of stuff off the field and on the field," Cole said. "All that experience from college -- pitching in big games, studying, dealing with pressure at UCLA -- made me a well-rounded person.

"The hitters aren't swinging wood in college, so it's an adjustment going to the pros, where pitch counts are such high priorities."

In the Florida State League, the 21-year-old right-hander has the same energy and passion on the mound as he did when he suited up for Bruins. And he remains in close contact with his former teammates.

"I talked to my head coach earlier today and I've talked with a lot of the current players. They're in the top eight, so they're a lock for a top seed [in the NCAA Tournament]," he said. "I played with a lot of them, so it's nice to see them having a lot of success.

"Some of the younger guys that are still there will ask me about pitching adjustments or other stuff that they're dealing with in college. Some of the position players are really good friends of mine and we just talk. I miss those guys because we went to battle together so often."

On Wednesday, Cole battled at McKechnie Field. He worked around consecutive two-out singles in the first inning and used a double play to erase a walk and James McCann's infield hit in the second.

Marcus Lemon singled and stole second base in the third inning, but Cole stranded him there by striking out FSL batting leader Nick Castellanos and getting Tyler Collins to ground out. An inning later, the Flying Tigers put runners on the corners with two outs, but Wade Gaynor was cut down at the plate trying to score when the ball got away from catcher Kawika Emsley-Pai.

Cole pitched a 1-2-3 fifth -- his only perfect inning of the evening -- before leaving a scoreless game. The Marauders turned three singles, three walks and a balk in the bottom half to put Cole in line for the win.

"It was pretty good. Obviously, I would have liked to gone deeper into the ballgame, but when the team needed me to put up zeros, I was able to," said Cole, who threw 86 pitches. "I had a lot of foul balls and I made a lot of good pitches that weren't put in play early on.

"I think my strongest inning was my last one. I got in a groove with my mechanics in the fourth inning and I was even better in the fifth. You just have to get into a rhythm and see what guys are trying to do. It's a battle, a chess match."

Through nine starts, Cole ranks 10th in the FSL with a 2.60 ERA and has 46 strikeouts over 45 innings. He's allowed only four runs in five starts since suffering his only defeat on April 25, when he surrendered five runs -- two earned -- on three hits over five innings against Charlotte.

"I'm just taking it slow and keeping things simple. There are definitely a good handful of hitters in this league," Cole said. "You never take anything for granted because this game will humble you real quick. You can't say anything is easy.

"I'm a competitor and I'm here to give my team the best chance to win. That's why you play the game."

Jason Townsend followed Cole and gave up an unearned run on five hits and a walk while striking out one over two innings of relief. Quinton Miller pitched around a walk in two scoreless frames to seal the Marauders' second straight win.

Lakeland starter Alex Burgos (2-6) did not give up a hit until the fifth, when Bradenton scored five times. He was charged with five runs on three hits and five walks over five innings.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Please note the following from the Rattler Radio Blog:

If you listen to the Timber Rattlers on the internet feed see below information for IMPORTANT NEWS!!

There have been issues with the internet feed the last few nights and the station engineer gave me the story and a few tips on how to listen to the games.

The story: The station has moved to a new provider for the internet feed. The new provider is supposed to be able to automatically take out the commercials and go back into programming. There have been a few problems with that on their end, but here are the fixes he suggested.

#1: There is a new link or try the Main WNAM page and click on the big LISTEN LIVE button at the top.

#2: Download the Silverlight and Adobe Flash programs and start running them on your computer.

#3*: Be Patient. If you go to the link and there is dead air, hang with it the programming should come back on.

#4**: Test it out before the game.

*-This is the most important one. My blood pressure started to go up after I was at the new link and heard nothing for 45 WHOLE SECONDS! The NERVE!

**-This one is mine…but it makes sense.

If you are in the listening area, feel free to tune in on AM1280, WNAM.

We'll post this for a few nights, the link in the Daily Menu matches the link Chris suggests.

T-Rats starting around 8PM CST

- Plato

- Plato

Hey guys, as Tedaltada mentioned I'm going to be filling in for him tonight and tomorrow with the Brevard and Nashville games. Go easy on me. Been reading the site for a long time and figured it was time to start contributing. I spent the day down in Appleton at the D3 World Series, so I'm just settling in and caught the tail end of the Manatees game. I'll get the updates posted up here in a bit.

BA Hot Sheet Chat

Navin (Pasadena, CA): What are your thoughts on the slow start in Peoria for SS Marco Hernandez?

Ben Badler: Concerning. It's not time to panic, but I'm very surprised he's struggled so badly at the plate.

mark (maine): offensively, kolten wong = jose altuve = starlin castro?

Ben Badler: Starlin Castro > Kolten Wong > Jose Altuve

denis (marshall): What's wrong with Yorman Rodriguez? Can he recover and be the top prospect the Reds thought they had?

Ben Badler: I've never talked to a scout outside of the Reds who ever thought he could hit, going back to when he was 15. I just don't see it at all.

Itto (Aguadilla, PR): What kind of numbers Anthony Rizzo is capable to have once he reach the majors?

Ben Badler: A .290/.360/.480 type guy with good defense in his prime years is certainly possible. I'd chop some off those numbers at first though as he adjusts to major league pitching.

TOADSTOOL (Jeffersonville, IN): Shelby Miller ... has his stock gone up, down or stayed the same this season?

Ben Badler: Still a potential No. 1 starter. The results show that he still needs time in Triple-A and his command needs to improve, but he's still a premium arm.

Brian (Cinci): Everyone keeps saying "Tony Cingrani's delivery is more suited for the bullpen", yet he's putting up eye popping numbers in a nightmare league for pitchers. Then they point out his curveball isn't great, again pointing to relief. But if he commands both his fastball and changeup and his breaking ball is at least a 40/45, isn't that enough to start, especially given the plus velocity and his lefthandedness? Cole Hamels (not comparing them, really) was a 2 pitch guy for the first 3-4 years of his career and doesn't have Cingrani's velocity.

Ben Badler: I think you let him start until he forces you to move him to the bullpen, either due to performance or a potential health issue arises. Speaking more generally, sometimes there's a self-fulfilling prophecy where guys get the "future reliever" label thrown on them, for various reasons (size, lack of third pitch, mechanics, etc.), because guys like that in the big leagues historically have been relievers. So these guys get moved to the bullpen without ever being given a chance to start, but when you do give them the opportunity, sometimes it doesn't work out, but sometimes you get a guy like Justin Masterson or Colby Lewis, who are a heck of a lot more valuable for 200 innings than 60 innings. Certainly there are some guys like Carlos Marmol or plenty of other arms who are clearly better fits in bullpen roles, I just think some guys get pigeonholed there and never get a chance to escape.

- Plato

- Plato

Hey guys, as Tedaltada mentioned I'm going to be filling in for him tonight and tomorrow with the Brevard and Nashville games. Go easy on me. Been reading the site for a long time and figured it was time to start contributing. I spent the day down in Appleton at the D3 World Series, so I'm just settling in and caught the tail end of the Manatees game. I'll get the updates posted up here in a bit.

Pretty much everyone should already be familiar with your work. I'm sure you'll do great but good luck all the same!

edit. Of course Mass posted 10 minutes prior, which is always the case.

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Brevard County 4, Dunedin 7

Brevard County Box Score

Jed Bradley struggled a bit in his first game back off the DL. He gave up 12 hits and hit a batter. On the bright side, he didn't walk anyone so it looks like he was throwing strikes. His final line: 4.2 IP, 12H, 5R, 4ER, 0BB, 2K. Reggie Keen stayed hot with three more hits tonight. He now has eight hits in the last three games. Shea Vucinich extended his hitting streak to seven games and has hit safely in eight of his last nine. Newly promoted Parker Berberet doubled in his first at bat as a Manatee after entering the game in the sixth inning.

Nick Shaw committed his 10th error of the season, a 4th inning throwing error, allowing an unearned run to score. He also had two hits, including a double and an RBI. The damage for Bradley could have been worse as Brian Garman came on in relief of Bradley and gave up a single, but Franklin Romero Jr. gunned down Koby Clemens at the plate to end the fifth inning. Having watched Romero the past couple years in Appleton, I can attest to the fact that he has a cannon for an arm in right field.

Brevard County Play By Play

The Manatees tried to rally in the 8th

Brevard County Top of the 8th

T. J. Mittelstaedt walks.

Shawn Zarraga walks. T. J. Mittelstaedt to 2nd.

Mike Walker grounds out to first baseman Gabe Jacobo. T. Mittelstaedt to 3rd. Shawn Zarraga to 2nd.

Reggie Keen singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jonathan Jones. T. Mittelstaedt scores. Shawn Zarraga to 3rd. Reggie Keen to 2nd on the throw.

Pitcher Change: Bryan Longpre replaces Shawn Griffith.

Miguel Velazquez out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Kenen Bailli. Shawn Zarraga scores. Reggie Keen to 3rd.

Parker Berberet called out on strikes.

Lawrence Carves Up Manatees

Dunedin Clubs 15 Hits in 7-4 Victory

By Craig Durham

05/25/2012 10:35 PM ET

DUNEDIN, FL - Casey Lawrence allowed one run on five hits over six strong innings and the Dunedin Blue Jays improved to 31-17 with a 7-4 victory over the Brevard County Manatees on Friday night at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium.

On a night when the fans set a record for the most people blowing a bubble gum bubble at the same time, the Blue Jays offense made sure it was the main attraction for the first half of the game.

Trailing 1-0 heading to the bottom of the 2nd, Dunedin staged a one out rally that led to three runs on three hits and put the home team ahead for good. Koby Clemens started things with a single, and he scored on a Kenen Bailli double off the wall in left. Two batters later Gabe Jacobo doubled to the corner in left, and in an instant the Blue Jays had taken a 3-1 lead.

Brevard County starter Jed Bradley struggled mightily as the night progressed, and the D-Jays just kept the offense coming. Last year's 15th overall pick allowed a run in the fourth, and another in the fifth when Kenen Bailli knocked him out of the game with the Blue Jays 12th hit of the night.

Lawrence was efficient all night long, and the right-hander from McSherrystown, Pennsylvania finished the night with no walks and three strikeouts in his six innings of work. He improved to 4-0 on the season and allowed just one earned run for the third consecutive start. In his last three starts Lawrence has worked 20 innings and allowed just three runs on 14 hits while striking out 16 and walking just one.

Offensive highlights on the night included a 2-5, 2 RBI performance from Gabe Jacobo and a 2-4, 2 RBI performance from Kenen Bailli. Every Blue Jay in the starting lineup collected at least one hit, and six finished the game with two hits each.

The Blue Jays will give the ball to Asher Wojciechowski on Saturday night as they look to win their third straight overall and their fifth straight against Brevard County. Dunedin is 6-1 against the Manatees so far in 2012.

Final: Birmingham 3, Huntsville 1

Huntsville Box Score

Before tonight 3 out of Kyle Heckathorn's last 4 games were pretty forgettable but he had a decent bounce back performance tonight even though he was the losing pitcher. Kyle went 5IP allowing 6H, 2R, 1ER, and 3BB against 6SO having thrown 59-94 pitches for strikes and posting a 5:2 GO:FO ratio. Dan Merklinger pitched the next 4 innings closing out the contest and he's now had 2 very nice outings in a row. Dan only allowed 1hit, but it was a HR in the 9th, didn't walk anyone, and struck out 5.

The Stars only had a total of 6 hits so it's not surprising that no Star managed to get multiple hits. Domnit Bolivar kept Huntsville from getting skunked with his HR to lead off the 2nd. Heckathorn posted the only Stars error (throwing) and Juan Sanchez got picked off of 1st. Kentrail Davis did walk twice.

Huntsville Play By Play

This was basically it until the solo HR run in the 9th gave the Barons a 2 run lead.

Birmingham Top of the 2nd

• Damaso Espino doubles (2) on a fly ball to left fielder Juan Sanchez.
    Erik Morrison grounds out, third baseman Matt Cline to first baseman Hunter Morris.
    Luis Sierra flies out to left fielder Juan Sanchez in foul territory.
    Kenneth Williams singles on a ground ball to second baseman Scooter Gennett. Damaso Espino to 3rd.
    Tyler Saladino singles on a bunt ground ball to pitcher Kyle Heckathorn. Damaso Espino scores. Kenneth Williams scores. Tyler Saladino to 2nd. Throwing error by pitcher Kyle Heckathorn.
    Jared Mitchell walks.
    Corey Smith strikes out on foul tip.

Huntsville Bottom of the 2nd

• Domnit Bolivar homers (1) on a fly ball to left center field.
    Kentrail Davis walks.
    Juan Sanchez grounds into a force out, third baseman Corey Smith to second baseman Erik Morrison. Kentrail Davis out at 2nd. Juan Sanchez to 1st.
    Matt Cline flies out to center fielder Jared Mitchell.
    With Josh Prince batting, Juan Sanchez picked off and caught stealing 2nd base, pitcher Pedro Hernandez to first baseman Seth Loman to shortstop Tyler Saladino.

- Plato

- Plato

Final: Round Rock 6, Nashville 7

Nashville Box Score

The Sounds put up six runs in the first two innings but then the bats went silent until the 8th when Hainley Statia came up with a clutch two out single to score Corey Patterson. I caught part of the game on milb.tv and saw the go-ahead run. Great job of manufacturing a run by Mike Guerrero's bunch. Patterson led off the inning with a single. Edwin Maysonet executed a sacrifice bunt to move Patterson to second. Then Caleb Gindl contributed with a productive out, grounding out to first and moving Patterson to third. Statia followed with a single to right to knock in the eventual winning run.

Big night for the "AAAA" types in Nashville. Brooks Conrad belted his ninth home run of the season. He's now gone yard in four of five games since returning from Milwaukee. Patterson went 2 for 3 and had a sac fly. Vinnie Chulk picked up his first save and former Brewers prospect Brad Nelson had a pair of hits for Round Rock.

Logan Schafer and Gindl each doubled for the Sounds only other extra base hits.

Seth McClung started for Nashville. He went 5 2/3 innings, allowing four runs and was in line for the win. But Johnnie Lowe surrendered his first earned runs of the season tying the game at 6-6. Amaury Rivas worked a scoreless eighth to earn the win, and Chulk turned in a scoreless ninth for the save.

Nashville Play By Play

The 4 run first inning.

Nashville Bottom of the 1st

Logan Schafer doubles (12) on a line drive to left fielder Ryan Spilborghs.

Eric Farris reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by pitcher Martin Perez. Eric Farris to 2nd. Logan Schafer advances to 3rd, on throwing error by pitcher Martin Perez.

Brooks Conrad walks.

Jordan Brown reaches on force attempt, fielding error by third baseman Tommy Mendonca. Logan Schafer scores. Eric Farris to 3rd. Brooks Conrad to 2nd.

Corey Patterson out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Julio Borbon. Eric Farris scores. Brooks Conrad to 3rd.

Edwin Maysonet walks. Jordan Brown to 2nd.

Caleb Gindl lines out to second baseman Yangervis Solarte.

Hainley Statia walks. Brooks Conrad scores. Jordan Brown to 3rd. Edwin Maysonet to 2nd.

Dayton Buller walks. Jordan Brown scores. Edwin Maysonet to 3rd. Hainley Statia to 2nd.

Logan Schafer strikes out swinging.

And the eighth inning go-ahead run.

Nashville Bottom of the 8th

Corey Patterson singles on a ground ball to right fielder Joey Butler.

Pitcher Change: Johan Yan replaces Ben Snyder.

Edwin Maysonet out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Johan Yan to first baseman Michael Bianucci. Corey Patterson to 2nd.

Caleb Gindl grounds out, first baseman Michael Bianucci to pitcher Johan Yan. Corey Patterson to 3rd.

Hainley Statia singles on a line drive to right fielder Joey Butler. Corey Patterson scores.

Dayton Buller called out on strikes.

Statia Provides Sounds With 7-6 Victory Over Round Rock On Friday

Brooks Conrad Homers Again For Nashville

Nashville Sounds

05/25/2012 11:21 PM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville Sounds third baseman Hainley Statia provided the game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning for a 7-6 victory over the Round Rock Express on Friday night at Greer Stadium.

With Corey Patterson on third base on two outs, Statia roped a liner to right field for the Sounds' second last-at-victory in consecutive nights and eighth of the season. Nashville moved to 19-28 on the season and 12-5 in one-run games.

Outfielder Corey Patterson (2-for-3) was the lone Sound with multiple hits while six others collected one hit.

The Sounds batted around with only one hit while plating four runs in the bottom of the first on Round Rock starter and top prospect Martin Perez. Nashville quickly loaded the bases as the first three hitters reached open the frame abd scored their first two runs on an infield error and sacrifice fly by Patterson. Statia and catcher later worked two-out walks with the bases loaded to bring home the next two runs.

After second baseman Eric Farris singled to lead off the second inning, the hot-hitting Brooks Conrad extended the Sounds' lead to 6-0 with a two-run bomb off of his name on the guitar-shaped scoreboard. His team-leading ninth homer was also his seventh long ball hit in his last eight games while also extending his hitting streak to a team-leading 15 games.

Round Rock plated their first run in the top of fourth after the club loaded the bases with no outs against Nashville starter Seth McClung. Joey Butler's foul sacrifice fly down the right field line was caught by Caleb Gindl just a few feet from the wall, bringing home Yangervis Solarte.

The Express scored three more in the sixth to trim the lead to 4-6. McClung walked two, hit two, and allowed two singles frame before getting removed with two outs in the inning.

Reliever Johnnie Lowe gave up his first earned runs of the season in the top of the seventh after Ryan Spilborghs two-run, homer knotted the contest at 6-6. Lowe's scoreless streak was halted at 16 1/3 innings to open the season, second-longest in the PCL behind teammate Jim Henderson.

Facing his former club, McClung surrendered four runs on five hits and four walks in 5 2/3 innings for a no-decision.

Lowe was charged with two runs and a blown save. Amaury Rivas tossed one scoreless inning. Vinnie Chulk worked around a hit while fanning two to earn his first save of the year.

Perez earned a no-decision with six runs (three earned) and four walks in four innings. Ben Snyder (1-2) took the loss.

The Sounds and Express continue their series at 6:35 pm CT on Saturday night at Greer Stadium. Right-hander Mark Rogers (0-2, 5.29) look for his first win from the mound against Round righty Greg Reynolds (3-3, 4.15).

Archived