Brewer Fanatic

Estrada to DL thread (6/26: Estrada back w/MIL, McClendon back in NAS)

Just saw this from Mike Vassallo on twitter. I'm guessing McClendon is just up for bullpen insurance until Tuesday. Then they'll send him back and call up a starter. Makes sense since he's already on the 40-man and no corresponding move was needed. He'll likely just be the emergency long-man. Have to think they would've made a move and recalled Henderson or someone else if they were going with Parra in the rotation. This pretty much seals it that they'll call up someone else to take that spot.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

slightly off topic but if parra would have pitched decently yesterday than he would have earned a chance to get a start. you can't put him in against the best team in the NL on tuesday. I know it may not be the ideal place for TT to make his major league debut but it would definitely let you see what you have in him.

Just saw this from Mike Vassallo on twitter. I'm guessing McClendon is just up for bullpen insurance until Tuesday. Then they'll send him back and call up a starter. Makes sense since he's already on the 40-man and no corresponding move was needed. He'll likely just be the emergency long-man. Have to think they would've made a move and recalled Henderson or someone else if they were going with Parra in the rotation. This pretty much seals it that they'll call up someone else to take that spot.

Doesn't he have to be up for 10 days now at least? Or does that rule only apply to guys having to stay in the minors?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think they are watching fiers tonight... A promising outing and he will be called up Tuesday.

A poor one Parra, McClendon, Dillard, and Perez will be your four headed sp for Tuesday.

I know AAA is not the majors, but we have multiple relievers with better stuff while our major league pen is filled with situational journeymen.

Henderson deserves a call, if knitzler is healthy he is a major league pitcher. Let's put the best 25 in the majors and stop worrying about maintaining depth when depth is named Dillard.

I think they are watching fiers tonight... A promising outing and he will be called up Tuesday.

A poor one Parra, McClendon, Dillard, and Perez will be your four headed sp for Tuesday.

I sure hope the org. isn't making this decision (& doesn't make decisions) based on one start, most recent or not.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If it were based on major league "stuff" it would be Peralta or TT.

If its based on needing to see what you actually have I think Fiers.

If they want the fans to go nuts it could be Vargas, Mcclung, or Jason marquis off waivers.

So out of those watching fiers tonight,many rewarding a good start with the first chance makes some sense...

Wouldn't it just be easier / less painful to simply forfeit the game?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Doesn't he have to be up for 10 days now at least? Or does that rule only apply to guys having to stay in the minors?

No, that rule is for after someone is optioned back to the minors. They have to stay down for 10 days unless someone gets hurt on the MLB team.

Think about this for a second. They have brought back the guy who earlier was sent down to make room for Vinnie Chalk.

In reminds me of the 2006 rotation of Joe Winkelsas, Justin Lehr, Chris Demaria, Jared Fernandez, Chris Mabeus, and Chris Spurling. Who am I leaving out?

That's why I think he'll only be up for 4 days until a starter is recalled. He's basically the only real option right now on the 40-man, so they're just going with him for an extra arm until Tuesday. That's really the only logical explanation for this move in my opinion. If they were calling up a reliever for the whole time Estrada is down, there are plenty of guys more qualified for the job.

Think about this for a second. They have brought back the guy who earlier was sent down to make room for Vinnie Chalk.

In reminds me of the 2006 rotation of Joe Winkelsas, Justin Lehr, Chris Demaria, Jared Fernandez, Chris Mabeus, and Chris Spurling. Who am I leaving out?

Dennis Sarfate.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Dennis Sarfate.

Bookmarking this comment to reference the next time I ask : "Can it get any worse?"

Clearly the answer is yes.

McClendon was sent down because the bullpen was gassed in late April, they needed a fresh arm, and McClendon has options remaining.

Who starts Tuesday depends more on how much the bullpen is needed this weekend than on how Fiers does in Nashville tonight. If they can avoid using Parra, he'll probably make at least the first Estrada-less start. If the bullpen keeps having to pitch half the total innings, then I could easily see them sending McClendon back down for Fiers. There's not much reason for them to make an announcement on who's starting Tuesday before Monday night.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I just have a sinking feeling they will use Parra for the start. The way the front office runs the team and seems to almost enjoy hamstringing the team in short runs makes it seam plausible they will hold Parra out of games until Tuesday making already depleted pen worse and overworked, then act surprised that he could only go 3 innings in his start and absolutely crush the pen. Quotes from Melvin will be about how Parra deserved the chance to start and how they didn't want to rush a young guy or so and so isn't ready and Parra has experience starting at the big league level.

McClendon was sent down because the bullpen was gassed in late April, they needed a fresh arm, and McClendon has options remaining.

Who starts Tuesday depends more on how much the bullpen is needed this weekend than on how Fiers does in Nashville tonight. If they can avoid using Parra, he'll probably make at least the first Estrada-less start. If the bullpen keeps having to pitch half the total innings, then I could easily see them sending McClendon back down for Fiers. There's not much reason for them to make an announcement on who's starting Tuesday before Monday night.

It also wouldn't be the first time the Brewers have brought up a player for a very short stint in the bullpen. The day after calling up McClendon (after placing Narveson on the DL), they called up Peralta for all of 3-4 games (4/21-4/24) while Loe was away on bereavement.

If they start Parra just as he seems to be coming into his role, it is the height of foolishness. If this guy is going to be needed for several starts, summon the most worthy arm from the minors and see what happens, to heck with service time. If it's going to be a two start type thing, summon a warm body from AAA, look up Mike Burns, whatever.... just don't mess around with Parra right now. If Parra starts, my head will explode when the apologists use the 'not stretched out' excuse. Parra is simply not cut out to be a starting pitcher, how many times do they need to learn that lesson?

I think you guys need to ask yourself this. How many ex-Rangers are out there on the market right now. I think that will be our #1 option for Tuesday night. If we're talking about what we've done in the past, Melvin has always been really good about taking chances with ex-Ranger ballplayers right?

Fiers tonight in hitter friendly Las Vegas with 25 MPH winds blowing out to CF, 7 IP 5 ER 4 H 2 BB 7 K. He set down 16 in a row, and 20 of 21, after a shaky first inning, in which he gave up 4 of his 5 runs. Looked very good the rest of the game though. Pretty good performance given the conditions and the park he was pitching in.

Archived