Brewer Fanatic

#5 starter

monty57
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we really demote Fiers at this point? I mean, to me, Estrada vs. Fiers is probably a wash, but we desperately need help in the bullpen. Fiers is already stretched out, Estrada won't be. So why not keep the momentum with Fiers, who might very well have a future as a #5 starter in this rotation anyway, get Estrada in the pen, and get rid of one of the back end of the bullpen arms?

^I put Estrada in the pen because he's a decent bullpen arm and the team desperately needs another decent arm in the pen. Fiers has looked really good and I'm fairly optimistic about him going forward so long as he can keep the ball in the yard.

So why not keep the momentum with Fiers, who might very well have a future as a #5 starter in this rotation anyway, get Estrada in the pen, and get rid of one of the back end of the bullpen arms?

You're forgetting one important thing. Estrada has more service time than Fiers. That automatically makes him the better choice.

It's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other, but Fiers would be my choice assuming another solid start in his next time out. He's been starting since day one this season and shown he can go 7 innings. The bullpen has worked a ton lately.

Looking ahead to 2013, why not just groom Estrada for a bigger bullpen role anyway? Yeah they need starters, but they need relievers too.

Yes. If guys are still giving the Suppans and Bushs chances, Estrada will be wanted.

If we send Fiers down, don't we get an extra year of control of him?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

With the Marcum news, let's hope this doesn't turn into a need to fill two SP spots. If it does, and Thornberg is brought up to start tonight, then what do we do? Do we keep Thornberg up and either send Fiers down or put Estrada in the 'pen, or do we just give Thornberg one start and then put Fiers and Estrada in the rotation?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yes. If guys are still giving the Suppans and Bushs chances, Estrada will be wanted.

If we send Fiers down, don't we get an extra year of control of him?

He just turned 27 (last Friday). So it doesn't seem as important to worry about that extra year as it is to get that experience and audition for his spot in the rotation for next year. At the end of the team control he would be 32+.

Archived