Brewer Fanatic

#5 starter

monty57
I just posted a new topic on this, but McClendon was recalled. That pretty much seals it for me that it won't be Parra. My guess is McClendon is just a 4-day fill-in until a starter is called up on Tuesday. He was the easy choice since he's on the 40-man roster already.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Para starts we riot.

Or something to that effect.

What happens if they claim Jason Marquis off of waivers?

Dave Bush (4-3, 2.73 ERA at AAA) becomes a FA if the Phils don't call him up by June 1. Not sure I want to go down that route, but it would be better than Parra.

I had that thought today when I just happened to look at his minor league stats. If it's only for a few starts why not? Roster moves might make it difficult.

I just posted a new topic on this, but McClendon was recalled. That pretty much seals it for me that it won't be Parra. My guess is McClendon is just a 4-day fill-in until a starter is called up on Tuesday. He was the easy choice since he's on the 40-man roster already.

Well....they still have 4 days to think about the 5th start. By that time, they could also send Perez back down and bring up the #5 starter the day before. I don't think the Parra deal is a done deal yet.

Fiers tonight in hitter friendly Las Vegas with 25 MPH winds blowing out to CF, 7 IP 5 ER 4 H 2 BB 7 K. He set down 16 in a row, and 20 of 21, after a shaky first inning, in which he gave up 4 of his 5 runs. Looked very good the rest of the game though. Pretty good performance given the conditions and the park he was pitching in.

I get that there are those of you who are looking at peralta's overall numbers and do not want to bring him up. However he started the season out quite well until he was given the Brewers typical treatment of youngsters... call him up, sit him on the bench, let him have one semi bad relief outing, send him back down. That does mess a guy up and IMO he should be called up and given a shot before TT especially with the innings load differential.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Fiers tonight in hitter friendly Las Vegas with 25 MPH winds blowing out to CF, 7 IP 5 ER 4 H 2 BB 7 K. He set down 16 in a row, and 20 of 21, after a shaky first inning, in which he gave up 4 of his 5 runs. Looked very good the rest of the game though. Pretty good performance given the conditions and the park he was pitching in.

I think they'll use McClendon over the weekend and then send him back to AAA on Tuesday, and bring up Fiers to start Tuesday - which would be Marco's spot in the rotation. This gives you the extra arm in the pen for the next four days.

Good ol' Doug -- there's a reason everyone's been calling him "The Creative Canuck" for years now...

You're satirical post certainly hits the spot. Melvin has strengths for sure, but nobody will ever accuse him of much creativity, especially when it comes to pitching. It strange because he was a pitcher himself in his playing days. Maybe he's slow advancing pitchers because it took him until he was 25 to reach AA, the zenith of his career.

I think they'll use McClendon over the weekend and then send him back to AAA on Tuesday, and bring up Fiers to start Tuesday

Don't they have to keep him up for a week or something before they send him down again?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think they'll use McClendon over the weekend and then send him back to AAA on Tuesday, and bring up Fiers to start Tuesday

Don't they have to keep him up for a week or something before they send him down again?

No, the only rule is that guys have to stay back in the minors for 10 days after they are optioned. Unless there is an injury. There's no rule for how long you have to be up for. Could be a day if you want it to be.

Latest from McCalvy should satisfy some here:

The Brewers have discussed red-hot Double-A Huntsville right-hander Tyler Thornburg for their starting rotation vacancy but are more likely to fill that spot with a more advanced arm, assistant general manager Gord Ash said Friday.

Among the options are reliever Manny Parra, a former starting pitcher, or a call-up from a list of candidates that includes Triple-A right-handers Wily Peralta and Mike Fiers, and, yes, Thornburg, a 23-year-old who would have to jump two levels.

“I don’t think that’s at the higher end of the probabilities,” Ash said. “You also have a roster to manage.”

And the Brewers’ 40-man roster is “more than full,” Ash said. It’s at capacity, and the Brewers also have three players on the 60-day DL.

Manager Ron Roenicke said the team would announce its intentions in the next couple of days, though it could go all the way to Tuesday, when the Brewers play the second of four games at Dodger Stadium.

He alluded to a desire to leave Parra in the bullpen, where the left-hander has a 3.70 ERA in 19 appearances this season, with 25 strikeouts versus nine walks.

“I really like what he’s doing in the bullpen right now,” Roenicke said. “Even if we have someone else start it and we have [Parra] piggyback, I would probably feel better about it, just because I know what he’s doing for us so far.”

Looks like top two options right now are Fiers and Peralta.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I think when you have a top prospect who can throw in the upper 90's and sit in the mid to lower 90's, can strike guys out and get Ground balls, and he's your top prospect and on the 40 man, he's the guy you call up, even if he's struggled in his last start against a VERY good minor league lineup for what it's worth.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

9 under .500, and it's not the top pitching prospect in our system, or the high-upside arm in Huntsville. It's the AAAA pitcher who has enough upside to spend his career bouncing around between MLB and AAA.

I will say I'm disappointed, but definitely not surprised.

It could be that our #1 in nashville Peralta has been terrible.

To me, Peralta's numbers in AAA this season are pretty irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not he should be the interim #5 right now.

It could be that our #1 in nashville Peralta has been terrible.

To me, Peralta's numbers in AAA this season are pretty irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not he should be the interim #5 right now.

I don't see how you can say his performance so far this season is "irrelevant." I would say it's very relevant, especially since there is still a chance the team could turn things around in a weak division and clearly isn't throwing in the towel yet.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's the AAAA pitcher who has enough upside to spend his career bouncing around between MLB and AAA.

Why do people keeping dumping on Fiers? I mean, at least let the guy fail at some level before you rag on him. I'm not expecting a #1 or #2 SP out of the guy, but he is a smart pitcher that keeps winning.

I don't know if he has long term potential as a SP or BP, but he deserves the chance.

They announced Fiers with the callup. Can't wait to see him pitch tonight. Might have to make some popcorn and enjoy the show. He should be pretty comfortable. The entire Nashville roster is in the clubhouse already.....

Archived