Brewer Fanatic

#5 starter

monty57

Estrada left today's game with a hip flexor. I have no idea how long that will keep him out, but I'd have to believe he's headed for the DL.

My question to you is who would you use for the #5 starter? The most likely options would be Parra, who came in and pitched for Estrada after he left or one of our prospects (Peralta, Thornburg, Fiers). My vote would be for Peralta, even though he hasn't put up good numbers in AAA, as he seems the closest to "MLB ready."

Secondarily, assuming the hip flexor will heal fairly quickly, what would you do when Estrada returns?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do we know that Thornburg isn't more major league ready? Lots of guys have made the jump from Double A and done just fine.

Peralta isn't gettin getting it done at AAA....maybe TT is the better choice or even Fiers?

How do we know that Thornburg isn't more major league ready? Lots of guys have made the jump from Double A and done just fine.

Peralta isn't gettin getting it done at AAA....maybe TT is the better choice or even Fiers?

That was just my opinion, and why I'm interested to hear yours. I'd probably try Peralta first, but I think there's a definite possibility Thornburg could leapfrog Peralta and be the one called up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Shouldn't the Brewers wait until the first week in June before calling up players like Peralta/Thornburg, because of service time?
Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

the first week of June starts next week - it's likely that the Crew will call up someone with arby clock issues and try to make due until June arrives, then call up one of the younger arms to serve as the #5 starter for the time being...that's at least my opinion of what they should do

In most seasons, the Brewers have some 30-year-old schmoe SP on the 40-man, but I don't see that this year. If the Brewers are worried about service-time issues prior to june, I guess they could bring up a reliever and start Parra on the 29th against the Dodgers, and then call up someone to start against the Pirates on Sunday, June 3.

Also, Thornburg isn't on the 40-man, so he'd need to be added. Fiers, Peralta, Rogers and Scarpetta are on the 40-man.

~Bill Walsh

Also, Thornburg isn't on the 40-man, so he'd need to be added. Fiers, Peralta, Rogers and Scarpetta are on the 40-man.

The easy solution to this would be transferring Gonzalez to the 60 day DL.

I would start Thornburg tomorrow at AA and then he will be on five days rest when they need the fifth starter on the 29th. For the time being I would probably bring up McClendon or Kintzler. Peralta has been terrible so far this year and doesn't really deserve the call up.

We are 9 games under .500 (8 if we win today) and fielding a hodge podge team right now. I wouldn't push Thornburg. Let him continue to develop and be in the mix for the 2013 rotation.

I'd bring up Peralta to start

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Roenicke says it may be Parra...

As I bang my head onto the wall... ugh. We'd get 3 IP at the most out of him and tax the pen that day. If they are truly worried about service time then call up Fiers. He's only a #4 type at best and will be lucky to sustain himself as a big leaguer anyways.

Could the mods please re-title this thread "Spinal Tap drummer"?

Parra should not start. His starter / reliever splits are breathtaking. Actually, the real issue is that he should never go more than once through the lineup; you can either pull him after one time through, or he'll take care of it himself.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I bet they go with Fiers.

His ERA is 4.13, but his numbers are pretty solid otherwise - especially considering he's pitching in the PCL.

He's got a 1.27 WHIP, 42 K and 16 BB in 47 innings, and only 3 HR allowed. Those are decent numbers in that environment.

Plus, Melvin and company like to reward guys who put their time in, work hard, etc.

And then they don't have to move Thornburg to the 40 man roster, as pointed out.

Peralta has been underwhelming of late.

I'd call up Thornburg + Fiers and start Thornburg as the #5 and use the Fiers as the long man. I'd then 60 day DL Gonzalez and DFA Dillard. Adds depth to the pen, and gets rid of a pitcher adding very little value to the team right now.

This would be my solution as well. That they couldn't trust Dillard enough to bring him in with an 8 run lead today tells me he doesn't belong in the majors. Parra? Are you kidding?

As for "starting the arby clock", we can only hope that anyone they bring up will be good enough to worry about whether their FA year is 2018 or 2019. The odds of that are rather large. Besides if they brought up Thornburg, he'd probably be back down when Estrada returns.

Thornburg will be 24 in September. He's not a kid. Most reports I read say he's got major league quality pitches. That's good enough for me.

Archived