Brewer Fanatic

Gomez in Conrad out

markedman5

I'm not finding a link for this. Was Conrad designated for assignment, outrighted, or simply released?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'd guess the new "vs LHP" lineup is Hart at 1B, Gomez in CF and Aoki in RF.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ok, another CF. Great, just what we needed. I really hope DPR will bat him leadoff or in the #2 hole. He is such a fantastic hitter.

even I can't complain about the return of gogo if it means never seeing conrad again.

But I thought RR was an idiot for keeping Ishikawa and not Conrad when they broke camp?

He was. Conrad's feelings were hurt, and that's why he didn't produce. But, given that Conrad's feelings were hurt, he should have known he would have went 0-20 and never called him up.

I'd still rather see them move towards Green at 1B, but Ishikawa has done a nice job so far this season.

I guess go Corey full time at 1B get everyone else starts in RF/CF platoon.

Get Green a start at 3B, 2B, and 1B 2-3 times a week, and get Bartlett from SD and put Izturis back in a never hit only defensive role.

I think we can win with that. I actually like the idea of Adam Lind, but not sure the money and next year part work out. How well can he play OF?

Lind would be replacing ishakawa in a sense and would allow Hart to stay in RF then as well.

Conrad clearly isn't as bad a player as he appeared to be in his brief call-up and he brings more positional versatility. He played horribly, but with a healthy Gamel on the roster Conrad definitely made more sense, just because he didn't get a hit in a mid season call-up doesn't mean he wouldn't have hit if had been up right away.

I don't think it's fair to say that because he didn't hit now, he wouldn't have hit in the past or the future if he had been called up under different circumstances.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'd rather have Gomez than Conrad, sure but the whole makeup of this team is just off. Lot's of light hitting options in the outfield and nothing at SS, 1B or backup infielders. Best option is probably to start Gomez in CF, Aoki in RF and Hart at 1B against lefties. Then give Aoki most of the starts in CF against righties. Morgon had a great year with the stick last year but as expected, he's come back down to earth. I just continue to have concerns about Aoki's fielding and arm. I thought he wasn't even playing CF in Japan anymore?

It is very interesting how different people perceive things. I agree rluzinski, I have real concerns with Aoki's arm. I've seen posts here on Brewerfan.net that state that he has a great arm and I wonder if there is some other Aoki that I'm not watching (I've seen every game this year)

I think it is time to permanently move Hart to 1B and use Morgan, Aoki, Gomez in CF/RF with Gomez & Aoki starting vs LHP and Morgan & Aoki starting vs RHP.... I wouldn't be opposed to having Gomez start all the time in CF. What he lacks in hitting vs RHP he more than makes up for in fielding. And I believe Gomez everyday is better than Ishikawa every day!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Tweets are saying that Nelson...er Conrad, was optioned. Wasn't aware he could be optioned.

Anybody, anywhere who tells you they know exactly what an option status is on every MLB ballplayer, including us here, is joshing you.

Now, because we track all player movement within the organization here, we CAN tell you with certainty about players who have spent the entirety of their career within the Brewers system.

But for those acquired from elsewhere, it can be tough.

Even Baseball Prospectus was sure Conrad was out of options as of this February 2011 list.

I just went through Rotoworld's transaction history on Conrad (not always infallible), and only counted options being used in 2008 and 2009, so this doesn't appear to be a phantom 4th option thing.

It's like there's an option info vault MLB has locked up, and nobody has proper access to it.

I really hope DPR will bat him leadoff or in the #2 hole. He is such a fantastic hitter.

How about 5th? Because that's what's happening today.

I'm pretty sure that Roenicke will go Hart, Aoki/Morgan, Braun, Ramirez at the top of the order for a while. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

He likes "pop" from the leadoff guy and he likes a #2 hitter who "gets the runner over" via bunts and/or hitting to the right side of the field. Braun is set in stone, and Ramirez is "the cleanup hitter" which he said was #1 priority this past offseason, so he will be batting cleanup even if he's hitting .080 with seven home runs when September rolls around.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Given the eight position players out there tonight, I won't complain about Gomez hitting 5th. Kottaras has a career .295 wOBA vs. LHP, just a shade lower than Gomez's .299. Weeks normally hits lefties very well, but he's had a brutal go of it lately (his K% is up to 31.2 this season!). Gomez has hit lefties hard the last two seasons in about 100 PA's, but he had just as strong of a reverse platoon line in 2010.

Obviously the best option would be Lucroy catching and Gomez hitting behind Lucroy, but that ain't gonna happen.

I really hope DPR will bat him leadoff or in the #2 hole. He is such a fantastic hitter.

How about 5th? Because that's what's happening today.

Then why the crap did he start Gomez to begin the season?

Not sad to see Conrad go but not really excited to see Gomez back either.

Morgon had a great year with the stick last year but as expected, he's come back down to earth.

What in Morgan's past would indicate we should have expected much of a dropoff in production? As long as he stayed platooned I think we should have expected similar production to last year. A little less SLG but that's it.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived