Brewer Fanatic

You have to respect David Wright

markedman5

Most likely much ado about nothing, because the Brewers don't seem to retaliate very often when someone is drilled. Going further, if the pitcher on the other team gets ejected, I don't ever remember further retaliation under Roenicke (or Macha for that matter).

Tough to retaliate after the warnings are issued, as you are likely looking at a suspension then. That being said, I thought it was pretty bush league of the Mets. If you didn't hit Braun on purpose as you claim, there was no reason to pull your top 2 hitters out of the game next half inning. Giving Wright rest, sure, but teams almost always let a player hit, then pull him the next half inning.

By all accounts, it sure looked like they drilled Braun on purpose. The catcher immediately got up to confront Braun, like he knew it was coming. If you're not expecting a guy to get drilled, you don't immediately spring to your feet to try to calm him down, you just let him go to first. It was a pitch right after a HR, and it was up and in. Oh and it's Braun at the plate. That's an awful lot of coincidences to be an accident. Then you basically confirm it by pulling your best players. Don't hit people on purpose if you're too scared that they MIGHT throw back at you.

I hope when the Mets come here that someone drills Wright. They got by one game, but this isn't something that will be forgotten.

I hope when the Mets come here that someone drills Wright. They got by one game, but this isn't something that will be forgotten.

They should, but I bet that they won't. I'm still waiting on Tommy Hanson to get his from a few years ago. That's one thing that I liked about Yost, he would have definitely had someone retaliate.

It is interesting that Braun already has the same amount of hit by pitches that he had all of last year. I'm not a big supporter of protection but this is one area where it hurts not to have Fielder in the lineup.

It is interesting that Braun already has the same amount of hit by pitches that he had all of last year. I'm not a big supporter of protection but this is one area where it hurts not to have Fielder in the lineup.

There is a reason that the Brewers are leading the league in HBP this season and two of the past three, and it's not some crazy statistical fluke. They simply do not protect their hitters.

By all accounts, it sure looked like they drilled Braun on purpose. The catcher immediately got up to confront Braun, like he knew it was coming. If you're not expecting a guy to get drilled, you don't immediately spring to your feet to try to calm him down, you just let him go to first.

Even if it was not intentional, it isn't going to take long for the catcher to figure out that the situation suggested otherwise. I don't think his reaction is evidence, either way.

There is a reason that the Brewers are leading the league in HBP this season and two of the past three, and it's not some crazy statistical fluke. They simply do not protect their hitters.

Over a full season, an MLB team averages 50-60 HBP's.

The Brewers have on their roster one everyday player who averages nearly 20 HBP's over 162 games (98 HBP, 794 games played).

It's less about protection, and more about Rickie Weeks' willingness to take one for the team.

Over a full season, an MLB team averages 50-60 HBP's.

The Brewers have on their roster one everyday player who averages nearly 20 HBP's over 162 games (98 HBP, 794 games played).

It's less about protection, and more about Rickie Weeks' willingness to take one for the team.

Exactly. It's not a statistical fluke, it's one player.

Or they've got guys who hang out over the plate like Weeks who's consistently among league leaders.

I don't buy the argument that other pitchers know that the Brewers won't throw at them, thereby encouraging them to retaliate and hit guys themselves.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

By all accounts, it sure looked like they drilled Braun on purpose. The catcher immediately got up to confront Braun, like he knew it was coming. If you're not expecting a guy to get drilled, you don't immediately spring to your feet to try to calm him down, you just let him go to first.

Even if it was not intentional, it isn't going to take long for the catcher to figure out that the situation suggested otherwise. I don't think his reaction is evidence, either way.

Maybe, maybe not. I guess it's hard to tell either way. But with how quickly he got up and tried to get in front of Braun, it sure looked like he was expecting it and was ready if need be. Just how I viewed it when it happened and seeing it on replay. It's just another piece of circumstancial evidence that seems to point to intentional to me.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Another thing with Braun's HBP was that it wasn't that far from his head. Six inches up, and he's got one on the chin. That made it look bad.

I bet the next time we play the Mets we drill one of their guys early on. The umps will warn everyone. That'll be the end of it. Collins basically admits it's how the game is played. They nailed one of ours, we nails one of theirs.

Or they've got guys who hang out over the plate like Weeks who's consistently among league leaders.

I don't buy the argument that other pitchers know that the Brewers won't throw at them, thereby encouraging them to retaliate and hit guys themselves.

even if that was the reason...what's the big deal? keep not retaliating, i like free baserunners.

The Brewers haven't been parts of beanball wars since Yost was in charge. Macha didn't have anyone's back ever, and this game certainly wouldn't warrant any kind of retaliation

Archived