Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign former Brewer Claudio Vargas to minor league deal

AZBrewCrew

I went to a game at Coors Field in 2007. Vargas gave up six runs in the 1st inning. From then on, I've referred to him as Claudio "Ball Goes Farthest" Vargas.

His MiLB numbers are ugly. Maybe they brought him in to pitch batting practice.

In our house we call him "I Claudius, Master of Baseball". Ahh yes, back in the days of 2005-2007 when you had to humor yourself during Brewers games and look forward to the youngsters from the Minors that were on their way

I hope we don't ever need Vargas again. Vargas had a 1.912 WHIP for us in 2010. Seriously there is no one better out there?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

a THIRD tour of duty from this guy??? We must be desperate.

Pitch in triple-A and I'm fine with it. Pitch in the majors and we've got a problem.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/151731325.html#!page=0&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst

I hope this means Peralta is coming up to join the rotation as TH speculates here. We could really use Estrada back in the bullpen, and it's time to give Peralta a shot.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

i hope this does mean a promotion for Peralta. Chulk has done nothing more than show me he is a mop up man. Estrada as a long reliever showed he can also pitch in short relief is needed. It would stabilize the pen that it hasn't been since Narveson went down.

Exactly, calling up Peralta is a move that needs to be made to stabilize the pen. Then, as Madtown343 said you can also call up Henderson or maybe Kintzler when he's ready, and then dump Chulk and Dillard. And btw madtown, Wooten already got called up to AAA.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Dillard has been better of late. Chulk is a big 'whatever'. I'd have no problem bringing up Peralta. My question is do you move him into the rotation - and take out Estrada. Or do you let Peralta get his feet wet this season as a reliever.

I will say this about Estrada - he's been okay as a starter over the last year. I wouldn't mind giving him some time to see if he has a future there. If he could prove himself this year in the rotation, it would be great knowing he could be there next year - when we could potentially be without 4 of our starters from this year's rotation (Greinke, Marcum, Wolf and even Narvy, if the rehab doesn't go well).

Prince thanks. Just saw that on the minor league end of brew fan.

Makes too much sense. Peralta will be fine in the rotation, Estrada has a role in the pen with limited upside as a starter. The pen needs to upgrade Dillard and chulk because RR uses them to frequently as it is.

Henderson, knitzler would be the most likely choices. Henderson has earned it and Brandon is still on the 40 I believe.

If this means peralta is into the rotation then i give my oh so important stamp of approval. If not, puke.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Peralta, Peralta, Peralta.

What about Fiers? After a rough April, he's been dealing in May. My own opinion is that Fiers is more major league ready than Peralta. Peralta has a little higher ceiling perhaps, but Fiers is the more finished product. His ceiling may only be a 4 or 5 starter, but he's likely capable of being that guy now. Peralta on the other hand may project to a #3 starter, but he's more likely to get results of a #5 right now so he'd benefit with a bit more seasoning.

http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=9287025&cid=107&source=feed

This makes it sound like the signing was just because Baker and McClung suck. That's fine I guess. At least he's not a major league option. Also like the talk of Bianchi in there.

You are right about Baker and McClung. Hopefully one will be replaced by Thornburg before too long. But I'm sure they'd like to get better results from the veterans filling out the staff.

While you can't get too upset about signing a former major league pitcher to a minor league deal, I'm about as excited about this as if they'd signed Rick Helling. The chance that he can be any more useful to the Brewers than a 27 year-old failed prospect plucked from indy ball is very remote.

You are right about Baker and McClung. Hopefully one will be replaced by Thornburg before too long. But I'm sure they'd like to get better results from the veterans filling out the staff.

Agree. If we're looking to replace the washed up AAA pitchers, no need to replace the with more washed up AAA pitchers. Thornburg is plenty ready to move up.

Agree. If we're looking to replace the washed up AAA pitchers, no need to replace the with more washed up AAA pitchers. Thornburg is plenty ready to move up.

i agree, the main point for the minors is to develop players not give journeyman players a chance to hang on. Its fine for roster filler, but it would be nice to see how far along Tyler is instead of seeing Vargas do. I am assuming if I lived in Nashville id rather see a young 20 something top prospect than a pitcher in his mid 30's.

Archived