Brewer Fanatic

Countdown to Brett Lawrie Suspension (Suspended for four games: reply #45)

If you haven't seen it yet, Lawrie was called out on strikes...he disagreed...he spiked his helmet on the turf, and it hit the umpire in the leg.

I know he's a passionate guy, but that was really stupid.

Place your bets...what's that going to cost?

My bet...three games.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats to Brett Lawrie on earning his first suspension tonight.

I am guessing there is some frustration right now for Mr. Lawrie. He had instant success and a ton of love from analysts. He isnt have a bad season by any means but he isnt mashing like he did last year. His BA is solid but the rest of his numbers are pretty pedestrian. His OPS is .23 points ahead of Ramirez and is 13th of 17 qualified 3b. He has the second most errors for 3B in MLB. Not the numbers most were expecting

Yikes that will be a couple games for Brett. That is about as close as a person could come to intentionally hitting an umpire with a helmet off of a bounce. He practically threw it right at him.

That's probably about right. I could see it being longer, though, as that was more than just a helmet spike. That was a really aggressive charge towards the ump. He didn't intentionally hit the ump with the helmet, but he didn't not intentionally hit him with the helmet, either, if that makes any sense at all.

Here's the video of Lawrie. I'd guess a 3 game suspension coming.

http://www.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21468797

What is the suspension for making contact with an ump? I would assume throwing your helmet at him would rank close to that.

Didn't Molina get 3 games when he "bumped" an ump last year? I'd guess this will rank about the same.

I posted this in one of the Giants IGTs, but I must reiterate my belief that they play every game at home. Seriously, every time I see a live look-in or highlight, it's in SF.

EDIT: Oops, should be in the random thread (unless it was and accidentally got moved?).

I think he will get a 5 game suspension, which will then be appealed and dropped down to 3 games. Regardless of the fact it was back to back bad calls MLB won't be able not to suspend him for that.

Here's a question to discuss--what is more disrespectful for the game, Lawrie showing passion (albeit way to aggressive) over a bad call or MLB firing Shyam Das because he didn't rule in their favor on a alleged PED case for the first time since 2009?

To me it's a player reacting immediately to an in-game call verses a sanctioning body supposedly with the best interests of the game acting childish over a 6 month period because they lost a drawn out appeal process that they had previously agreed with.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I don't know, this incident is already getting a lot of coverage. Accident or not, I certainly think it's more egregious than a simple bump. I bet he gets the book thrown at him. I could see him getting a double digit game suspension.

I'm not sure that kind of rage is natural. I'm not saying anything ... but you know where I am going...

BACKNE!

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

What Lawrie did was wrong, but that umpiring was horrible. If the umpire makes the right call, there is no problem.

Umps have made many more egregious calls than that recently and yet no one else launched their helmet at them

What Lawrie did was wrong, but that umpiring was horrible. If the umpire makes the right call, there is no problem.

If Lawrie doesn't act like a complete jerk there is no problem either. It seems the umpire got mad because some rookie basically showed him up after the strike 2 call where he walked very slowly back to the plate and was practically staring at the ump the whole time. While it may have been a ball, calls like that happen every day and after seeing Lawrie's reaction to the strike 2 call, I knew if the next pitch was even remotely close to a strike, which is stretching it on the last pitch, he was going to get rung up. I'm not saying the ump was right to do it but I could see it coming because of Lawrie's actions.

Community Moderator

Yes, Lawrie can be passionate/angry to a fault. And he should have been more careful when he spiked his helmet. But it wasn't like he was trying to attack or even hit the umpire. I wasn't aware that umpires are allowed to reign in rookies, I thought that was the job of the opposing pitcher. In this case, the umpire was allowed to "send a message" by changing the strike zone at his will. But I guess that is acceptable if the player is a rookie? Just part of the game?

Or is it that only the manager is allowed to scream and spit in the umpire's face?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Or is it that only the manager is allowed to scream and spit in the umpire's face?

Yes

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived