Brewer Fanatic

where's chorizo

patrickgpe

chorizo won both races on Friday, I thought.

I hope they do this year's contest a little bit better than last year's. I didn't even have to witness it to know how botched it was, reading all the stories on the internet. Good lord.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Apparently this already happened at Miller Park this morning:

http://ht.ly/aUYjh

The fun began at 5 a.m. as word spread online, on radio and television that the Brewers were hosting another collectibles giveaway, this time on the Miller Park grounds.

On Sunday, the Chorizo, part of the Klement's Famous Racing Sausages, was absent from the sausage race. Where was the Chorizo?

The answer became apparent at 5 a.m. Tuesday. A few hours earlier, dozens of Brewers employees began planting planting the Chorizo lawn ornaments in time for the 5 a.m. start. Media had been alerted ahead of time and were in place at 5 a.m. to watch the rush of fans entering the Molitor Lot, just north of I-94.

By 5:45 a.m., cars were lined up along Story Parkway waiting to get into the parking lot.

To avoid the problem of last year's giveaway, in which "Where's Bernie" lawn ornaments were scattered around Milwaukee County parks, setting off a hoarding binge, the Brewers imposed a limit of one per customer this time around.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

not sure if there is a better way to do it but a large majority of people are not up or are working 3rd shirt at 5am. Keeping a lid on it until this morning kept alot of the shenanigans out, but more than 95% of brewer fans found out about this when they woke up got home from work or got to work and and they were long gone by then.

Got mine. Much better than last year (unless you're not up at 5am of course).

Or unless you don't live in/near Milwaukee. Though I get their wanting to make it less crazy than last year.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If the Brewers were smart, they'd market outside the Milwaukee area, and I mean more than one hour out. If they get people to come from outside of the Milwaukee area, say push it to Madison, up to Wausau, over to Green Bay and down, perhaps they could expand the fan base a little more and get some money from outside the tax district to boost ticket sales. I live 2.5 hours away and it stinks that there are never any Brewers activities in this area. There is a huge following, and people would go to these kinds of events if they were within an hours drive. Even the block parties or gatherings on off-days. I really think the Marketing Department is missing out on some huge opportunities. I am not saying have a "Where is Chirizo" lawn ornament thing in Dodgeville, WI or Stevens Point, but have something in outlying areas. It even stinks that the rental of the sausages on off days for events carries a surcharge if outside a one hour radius. Completely limiting themselves on the income side. I would guarantee just as many people wear the Brewers apparel in this area as they do in the Milwaukee area.

Again, just an idea.

If the Brewers were smart, they'd market outside the Milwaukee area, and I mean more than one hour out. If they get people to come from outside of the Milwaukee area, say push it to Madison, up to Wausau, over to Green Bay and down, perhaps they could expand the fan base a little more and get some money from outside the tax district to boost ticket sales...Again, just an idea.

Conversely, maybe they are trying to encourage more people within the Milwaukee area to attend games? A few years ago I saw attendance ratios of what percentage of fans attend games that live outside the Milwaukee area, and it was pretty high.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If the Brewers were smart, they'd market outside the Milwaukee area, and I mean more than one hour out.

Personally I have no problem with it, but kowtowing to fans 1+ hours away from Milwaukee at the expense of locals could be construed as a slap in the face to the residents of Milwaukee metro. They are the ones who've been paying the bulk-share of public expense to build the stadium that without which there would be no guarantee that these out-of-towners would be able to see a game without fear of cancellation due to inclement weather.

I've been on both sides of the fence so I don't care either way, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

I meant having an event that was a little broader than the Milwaukee area. Remember the Winter Tour? They used to have stuff all over the State of Wisconsin. Something to that effect. I completely understand the tax issue and how they fronted the stadium. I was looking at an event that encompassed the entire State, not just the immediate Milwaukee vicinity. The cross-over commercials with Rodgers are genius. Now you pull two fan bases together. I am just referring to a little more face time from players outside of that area.

It seems like it would've made more sense to spring this sometime in the late afternoon or something, rather than 5 AM. Gotta figure most people were asleep, just getting up, at work, heading to work, or needed to head to work soon. Just seems like a bad time of day for it to me. I didn't care about it anyway, but I'm sure plenty of people did. More notice would've been nice for people at least a little bit outside of Milwaukee too.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The early start time was likely chosen to synch this 'event' to get the desired hype from the morning television and radio shows.

they could have just as easily done it in the evening so it makes the 10pm news. that way more people would have the possibility of participating. I think that time was chosen to ensure that not many people would participate (less people turned away empty handed) but they will still get the publicity that they wanted.

The early start time was likely chosen to synch this 'event' to get the desired hype from the morning television and radio shows.

they could have just as easily done it in the evening so it makes the 10pm news. that way more people would have the possibility of participating. I think that time was chosen to ensure that not many people would participate (less people turned away empty handed) but they will still get the publicity that they wanted.

It will still be on the 10 o'clock news. Local media recycles the same stories all day. Hit early and you get the morning news, noon, 5, 6 and 10- plus the drive time radio. Start at 5 and you will likely get your cub reporter sent out to Miller Park. Start later in the day, and that cub reporter may be sent to cover 'Breaking News' like a manure spill on I-43 or something.

They wanted 5,000 people there, not 25,000 waiting in line in their cars.

Springing it in the early morning was the only real option.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Considering the Bernie promotion was damaged (if memory serves) by hoarders getting there early and following around the people designated to hide the figures, the logistics of the event are more difficult to pull off if the distribution is done during daylight.

(I'm also guessing that the people responsible for enforcing the one-per-person limit were the people hiding the statues, meaning they can't do both at the same time.)

As someone who lives in out-state Wisconsin, and who sleeps through the 5 am hour, I'm just willing to accept that these promotions aren't meant for me. Seems as though they managed to avoid most of the pitfalls of last year's campaign, so give them credit for that.

There's already plenty of these up on Ebay, as expected. Opening bids at around $150. I hope no one legitimately pays that for one of those. They'll be in the team store in a few weeks for $40 just like the Bernies were.

Yeah, I mean, it's just a figurine of a Chorizo. What's really the big attraction of it? It's not like it's game used gear or signed by Ryan Braun or something...

Archived