Brewer Fanatic

Jose Veras

pogokat

I know this guy has a lot of potential, and that he had pretty good stats last year, but he has bombed in high leverage situations this year. I'm not ready to pull the plug on him completely, but he isn't anything close to reliable and shouldn't be in anything but mop up now...

anyone see this differently?

He seems to have really good stuff and has been quite effective at times. From my observations, it looks like he tends to get wild, resulting in free passes and then the need to groove a fast ball when he gets behind in counts.

I know this guy has a lot of potential, and that he had pretty good stats last year, but he has bombed in high leverage situations this year. I'm not ready to pull the plug on him completely, but he isn't anything close to reliable and shouldn't be in anything but mop up now...

It seems like you can count on two hands the number of of guys on the roster (both position and pitchers) to whom this wouldn't apply.

Parra has probably moved his way up from more than just mop-up, but there aren't many options left for high-leverage situations lately. Veras is still in there by default.

The Brewers really miss Saito, Hawkins, and last year's bullpen with guys with low walk rates. Way too many walks from the pen this year.

We really need Brandon Kintzler to stay healthy and get in that 7th inning role. Then use Loe and Veras as situational guys. Also, Parra has definitely earned some bigger innings.

This^. I really have my fingers crossed for Kintzler staying healthy and effective. Could be a big boost. Veras has all the stuff, but just too inconsistent.

We really need Brandon Kintzler to stay healthy and get in that 7th inning role. Then use Loe and Veras as situational guys. Also, Parra has definitely earned some bigger innings.

Is there any guess as to when he can return? I see he is currently doing a rehab stint but I haven't found any news regarding when he might be ready.

Veras seems like the perfect example of "thrower" in the typical "pitcher vs. thrower" discussion. I can't help but feel like he has no idea where the ball is going. Stuff is really good, but we all know that only goes so far.

He's definitely frustrating to watch, and it's been a combination of some bad luck and him not helping himself. He had the 7.07 ERA coming into this afternoon's game, but his FIP was a serviceable enough 3.81. Opponents had a BABIP north of .400 against him (a number that won't be helped after today's outing)...part of that could be defense, but his LD% this year has also been an absurdly high 44.2%. He's averaged about 20% for his career.

Batted ball classifications are hardly infallible (the two doubles he gave up today that were barely fair down the lines could have been classified as "line drives" for all we know), but that's obviously a huge number. It'll come down eventually, but the fact that those hits are falling in with guys he walked already on base hurts him badly.

In terms of pure stuff I love that he's a part of the bullpen, but it's never a sure thing what you're going to get from him on any given night. In other words, he's your average major league middle reliever.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I just don't know if he was ever anything special. Yeh, he has some nice velocity. Yeh, he had a nice year in 2011 but a 3.5 FIP for a reliever over 71 IP is nothing to get very excited about. He had a preseason ZiPS projection of 3.86. pretty close to average for a reliever.

Archived