Brewer Fanatic

Burgos to Milwaukee?

Burgos is the kind of guy you throw out there if you have absolutely nobody else to throw out there and your team is going nowhere. Think Chris Saenz type move. As it stands, there are probably about 4 guys I'd promote to start a game before I even considered Burgos.

I remember that Chris Saenz game, specifically Rock talking about how in today's game you do take a guy out after 6 innings scoreless at times. I thought he had a no-no through 5, but I guess that part of my memory is wrong.

What a sad story in baseball. Pitched one very good game in the majors, got a W, and never saw the league again. He last pitched in 2008 for Schaumburg, posting a 8.42 ERA in 19 appearances.

Well apparently he was just promoted to Huntsville. Let's hope he can keep up the success.

And NOW this thread becomes a viable thread(though still probably about 2 months early).

Now he can prove that his video game like numbers are not a mirage and he can prove himself at AA and should he continue to dominate...then this scenario is a lot more likely. I'd still much rather see a guy like Thornburg who actually deserves it and I think is someone who could make a difference, or Peralta, the obvious choice. But this now at least makes sense.

I'm just ahead of the curve. I don't agree Thornburg, Peralta, etc. should get the first look. Don't burn their service time. Take a flyer on a guy like Burgos because you have nothing to lose.

Now Burgos may pitch a couple months and if he continues his success, he gets called up then. Maybe he's exposed. I never said the Brewers WOULD bring him up quickly, or at all for that matter. I just think they SHOULD.

Don't burn service time for the top prospects, bring up guys like Burgos where all you have is upside. If he fails, you have another Cholk or Dillard and you move forward.

Don't "burn," their service time when they're ready and we're trying to compete? If there's a chance that a guy like Thornburg could come up and emulate Cal Eldred circa 1992 type run, then why are we worried about service time(especially since we're considering this as in the NEXT guy up, not immediately, so we'd likely be at least into June).

You can't play like that. I'd rather burn a half year of service time on Thornburg when he's dominating and we still have a staff capable of winning us playoff series than what? If Greinke was signed for 5 more years, perhaps I'd look at a little differently at this, but if we don't sign him soon, and he continues the year that I thought he'd have last year and think he'll have the rest of this year, he's gone and we're treading water anyway.

So I'm not really buying the service time argument for a guy who just isn't on the same level...or even in the same world(Burgos vs Thornburg) while we're still-trying-to-win. It's not like we're talking about the KC Royals. In which case I wouldn't bring up Burgos either.

Which brings me back around to the whole...why are we just throwing him out? I mean, that's essentially what you're doing? You're going down the list and picking out the worst pitcher of the real viable options because his service time doesn't matter, and if we break him mentally, it doesn't matter.

I don't care if he's 23 years old, he's putting up eye popping numbers, and I don't care that it's "only," in BC where it's pitchers skewed. His numbers transcend those factors they're that eye popping. He's not some guy who tops out at 83 MPH. He's a guy who has a similar fastball to Estrada, and if he can develop similar or better secondary pitches, he can be a pretty valuable pitcher for us.

And let me take the service time further...there seems to be this sense that all is lost and it's all about the farm. We're not really off the pace we were at least year, and there isn't a team ahead of us in this division that we can't catch, and while I think the East gets 1 WC, the Phils are old and I certainly think we can compete with the runner up in the West.

So if come August, we need help in the BP, or if Thornburg is just off the charts, Bradley is dominating lefties(in AA) and Peralta has a run like he did toward the end of last year, I've got absolutely no problem bringing all 3 of them up and burning some of their service time.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• 1 month later...
The closest Brewers example I could find to this would be Chris Saenz, who made only two AA starts in April 2004 (he had one AA relief appearance in 2003) before his April 24th MLB debut (and unfortunately only MLB outing), but what a game it was.

Come on, guys. You're better than this:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=axford001joh

Back to Burgos, the success is continuing at a higher level. I posed this in the game thread, but what is the latest scouting report on Burgos? Did he develop a devastating change or cutter? Did he learn from Fiers how to hide the ball? That's the only thing I could think of to explain this explosion of success.

Burgos works 86-91 with average secondary offerings that he commands very well helping them play up. I know he has a change and a slider along with at least one more pitch. The velo has been much closer to 90 this season and he does effectively vary the speed on it.

If you look at his secondary numbers, not a whole lot has changed since Helena. As the President of the Burgos to Milw fan club (and only member) I would still bring him up if Greinke is traded, if Marcum is shut down, etc.

He is similar to Fiers in that he is not afraid to throw any of his pitches, and he moves them around. You know.....pitching.

Archived