Brewer Fanatic

Speaking of Josh Hamilton (somebody had to) [Latest… Melvin: We have the connection with Narron but not with US Bank… post 230]

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dodgers aren't making an offer.

Where do they play him? Kemp CF (8 years) and Ethier RF (5 years) just re-signed last season and they traded for Crawford LF (5 years) and Gonzalez 1B (5 years). If that lineup ever returned to form, they could be formidable:

1. Crawford

2. Hanley

3. Gonzalez

4. Kemp

5. Ethier

Dodgers will make a play on Greinke though. Pairing that lineup with a top of the rotation of Kershaw & Greinke would look good.

For a left-handed bat that's hit 25-43 HRs and OPS'd .882-1.044 the past three seasons, I'd gladly take him if "at most" they're spending $25m/yr for 4 years. It's a lot, but it's not a long-term, crippling contract for adding another perennial MVP alongside Braun.

For a left-handed bat that's hit 25-43 HRs and OPS'd .882-1.044 the past three seasons, I'd gladly take him if "at most" they're spending $25m/yr for 4 years. It's a lot, but it's not a long-term, crippling contract for adding another perennial MVP alongside Braun.

And a 2-3-4-5-6 of Weeks, Braun, Hamilton, A-Ram, and Hart is probably the best in the majors.

Even if Melvin wanted him it won't happen. Every year people speculate that a price might drop for a particular player and it never happens. Someone will inevitably overpay for him.

Unless the Brewers can get him for like 4/60 I wouldn't have any interest at all. And there is no way Hamilton gets less than $80 Million.

Hamilton has already said he's going wherever the most money is, since he wants to start a foundation. Somehow I don't think that's going to be Milwaukee, Narrons be damned.

I think the whole "Narron factor" is overblown anyway. If some team wanted Hamilton that bad, I'm sure they could find a way to pry Johnny Narron away from the Brewers.

The difference between Hamilton and Gomez/Schafer is a lot less than the difference between Narveson and Greinke.

Go get the pitching.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I hope this is more of a scenario where the Brewers will have already addressed their pitching needs, and then if Hamilton still happens to be out there for a cheaper price, then they'll kick the tires. I'm still terrified about this. Pitching should really be the priority here. Hamilton shouldn't even be on the radar for the price he'll likely command, even if it's not as high as originally thought.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

if the brewers are willing to throw the kind of $ it would take to bring Hamilton in around this offseason, I'd much rather them go after Greinke.

that said, a Brewers lineup that included Hamilton and was able to platoon Aoki and Gomez in CF would be just awesome in 2013...I don't think Hamilton is going to be able to play at a high level long enough to justify throwing all sorts of money at him over the long term.

The difference between Hamilton and Gomez/Schafer is a lot less than the difference between Narveson and Greinke.

Go get the pitching.

What was the Brewer record after Greinke left? 38-25 right? A healthy Narveson or any one of the young guys would win 15 games with a lineup (that's already pretty stout) that included Hamilton. That's maybe 2-4 less than Greinke would but it would help all the other pitchers add a couple wins too.

The thing is signing Hamilton would trigger other moves. Dealing Hart being the most logical.

Count me in the group that says if he falls into their laps at a reasonable cost ($90-100 million over 5), I say go for it. Otherwise not.

Go get the pitching.

What was the Brewer record after Greinke left? 38-25 right? A healthy Narveson or any one of the young guys would win 15 games with a lineup (that's already pretty stout) that included Hamilton. That's maybe 2-4 less than Greinke would but it would help all the other pitchers add a couple wins too.

The thing is signing Hamilton would trigger other moves. Dealing Hart being the most logical.

Count me in the group that says if he falls into their laps at a reasonable cost ($90-100 million over 5), I say go for it. Otherwise not.

I agree. I think you could get a quality starter (Delgado or maybe Teheran) from the Braves for Corey Hart. Then you could trade Gomez for a couple relievers (atleast one being LH) to shore up our bullpen.

Replacing Hart and Gomez with Gamel and Hamilton not only improves our offensive production but it also balances out a RH heavy lineup from a year ago.

The rotation would be unproven but holds a ton of upside with a nice mixture of veterans (Gallardo), power arms (Peralta, Rogers, Thornburg, Delgado) and control guys (Fiers and Estrada). If you're still worried about the pitching staff then maybe you could add someone like Ervin Santana or Roy Oswalt on a 1 year incentive deal.

@WiscoSportsNut

I think it is debatable whether or not the Hamilton/Gamel combo would actually outperform Hart/Gomez. At the very least I don't think it is as cut and dry as you think.

Our offense absolutely does not to be fixed; our right handed heavy order was the best offense in the NL; I don't care if they add a LF bat or not.

DM needs to get a SP first; if he can get a pretty solid deal maybe you revisit Hamilton if he is still there. But for $17 Million or so a year I just think his incremental value to the team over someone like Hart or Aoki wouldn't make it worth it.

Offensively, Hamilton/Gamel would likely outperform Hart/Gomez but man I want no part of Hamilton as our everyday CF, meaning he would move to RF and I really don't want Aoki in CF everyday. I think the D would suffer enormously in this scenario but that's just my opinion. This is one of those decisions that hopefully will be taken out of our hands by some team willing to spend big dollars on Hamilton.

I really hope some team jumps on Hamilton right away, because the only way I see him being a possibility is if he is still hanging around late in the offseason. Melvin will address pitching first. If there is money left over, and Hamilton is still hanging around at a decent asking price then he might kick the tires. I don't want any part of him either way, but that's the scenario that scares me. Personally, I'd rather just got with Hart and Gomez. They wouldn't be a huge downgrade offensively from Hamilton and Gamel, and they'd be far better defensively. I want to just stick with what we have on offense.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I don't care if they add a LF bat or not.

I hope they keep our LF bat as is :-)

I'm not big on signing long-term expensive deals to players over 30, especially ones with injury history, so I hope they stay away from Hamilton. It would very likely be one of those deals that feels really good early on, but by the end of the contract you're really sorry you signed it.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I agree. I think you could get a quality starter (Delgado or maybe Teheran) from the Braves for Corey Hart. .

I think people are undervaluing pitching, and over-valuing one year of Corey Hart.

It's possible but I think Corey Hart is good enough to warrant a qualifying offer so it wouldn't be just 1 year of Corey Hart from the other teams perspective. To be honest I got the idea from this article - http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2012/10/10/braves-have-big-holes-but-the-means-to-fill-them/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog

Is Corey Hart & a comp pick (or 2 years of Hart) worth that much less than 2 years of an aging Josh Willingham? I don't think its that much of a difference where you couldn't add other pieces to balance out the trade.

@WiscoSportsNut

Archived