Brewer Fanatic

Melvin and Roenicke Get Extensions

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look this is how teams struggle every year, you can look around the league and find 4 or 5 other teams just like the Brewers. They seem to only score runs when they give up a lot of runs, they aren't winning a lot of close games, seems like most of the team has struggled to get things going. This is the Red Sox, this is the Angels, this is the Brewers, this is the Phillies. Meanwhile some teams seem to always get just enough every day and are winning a ton of close games, this is the Nationals, the Orioles, the Dodgers. These things will even out some over time and now really isn't the time to panic.

There really isn't any other team like the Brewers. Their 3rd order winning percentage is .414, well below those other teams you mentioned. Its not just that they are losing a lot of close games when they are the better team. The Brewers are getting destroyed because they stink.

When Ned Yost was in a playoff hunt and couldn't figure out why the team was struggling, he was fired for it.

When Roenicke can't figure it out, he gets an extension.

Not that either of them have any way of being able to answer that question and I'm not defending Yost, but I'm afraid that Roenicke's 96 win season is going to buy him way too much undeserved leeway.

Look this is how teams struggle every year, you can look around the league and find 4 or 5 other teams just like the Brewers. They seem to only score runs when they give up a lot of runs, they aren't winning a lot of close games, seems like most of the team has struggled to get things going. This is the Red Sox, this is the Angels, this is the Brewers, this is the Phillies. Meanwhile some teams seem to always get just enough every day and are winning a ton of close games, this is the Nationals, the Orioles, the Dodgers. These things will even out some over time and now really isn't the time to panic.

The Brewers can't really sell off Aramis, they don't want to get rid of Braun or Lucroy. I should hope they are looking at extending Greinke and Gallardo if anything for the future. If we look dead in the water in mid June and they want to trade someone like Hart or Marcum who aren't really worth signing longer term I'm fine with it but that is only if a full month from now we are still sitting 7 or 8 games under .500. If the team turns it around at all they should not be sellers because the NL is not strong this year and it won't take much of a run at all to force our way into the playoff hunt.

Just because good teams get off to bad starts does not make it inevitable that every team that isn't good for the first 25% of the season is going to turn it around. You don't need to be on the wrong side of the law of averages to be 16-24, you can just be not very good. The Angels, Phillies, and Red Sox are good teams off to bad starts, as we were last year when we were 14-20. This team has neither the depth nor talent to repeat history, and I think you're going to be disappointed if you're expecting this team to do the same you're going to be disappointed.

I also don't agree that the NL isn't strong. Yes the extra Wild Card helps but you still need to be a top 5 team to get in and this team looks a lot closer to the bottom 5 than the top.

Everyone in the NL East could be legit, other than the Mets who I think will fade but everyone else could be here for the long haul. St. Louis and Cincy can both be expected to contend as can the Dodgers and Giants.

We have the worst run differential in the NL and second worst in all of baseball only to Minnesota who just beat us twice at home. We aren't just getting unlucky and losing a bunch of 1 run games. I get that people want to remain positive, but realistically, I'd be mildly surprised if this team finished better than .500 and stunned if they worked their way back into contention.

I also don't agree that the NL isn't strong. Yes the extra Wild Card helps but you still need to be a top 5 team to get in and this team looks a lot closer to the bottom 5 than the top.

should this be in blue? Really, bottom 5 you say? Wow.

should this be in blue? Really, bottom 5 you say? Wow.

He said they look a lot closer to a bottom 5 team than a top 5 team. I don't see what's wrong or untrue about that statement.

Community Moderator

Everyone knows why this team isn't winning. It's lack of talent. RR and Melvin are never going to say that, but when the season is over they will blame the failure on injuries. This is possibly the worst infield in team history. They lost half the infield to injury and the other half is performing terribly. The bench is awful. I can't blame the coaches for that.

I don't know whether this is a bottom 5 team in the NL or not. But it's not a top-5 team. The only part of this team that might be top-5 is the starting rotation, and even that is debatable. As the sample size gets larger, they are only going to fall farther behind.

Everyone knows why this team isn't winning. It's lack of talent. RR and Melvin are never going to say that, but when the season is over they will blame the failure on injuries. This is possibly the worst infield in team history. They lost half the infield to injury and the other half is performing terribly. The bench is awful. I can't blame the coaches for that.

I don't know whether this is a bottom 5 team in the NL or not. But it's not a top-5 team. The only part of this team that might be top-5 is the starting rotation, and even that is debatable. As the sample size gets larger, they are only going to fall farther behind.

Nobody knows this, you might think it but nobody knows it and not everyone thinks it at all. This team has grossly underperformed on the season. They aren't good enough to be sure that they will rebound or anything but they should play better than this the rest of the year and likely over .500 barring trading away talent.

Maybe....its probably going to be like an '09 or '10 season again, record-wise. But if you're not going to win 85 or more and at least contend, 81 is no better than 65. We're beyond the point of .500 being a successful season.

Archived