Brewer Fanatic

The Red Sox had Rollie Fingers in uniform, but never used him...

Community Moderator
Rollie talked to me about that when I interviewed him a couple of years ago, the Red Sox were in Oakland at the time, so Rollie and Rudi just moved their stuff to the other clubhouse. Rollie had a locker right next to Carl Yastrzemski.

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. :)

Just thought I'd pop in, the subject caught my eye.

I attended my first Brewers game when I was 7, back in 1979. So, I fell in love with the Brewers at a young age (many great memories from games at the old Milwaukee County Stadium!). It wasn't long after that the Crew added Rollie to the pen, and he became one of my favorite players (hence my nickname, The 'stache, my homage to #34). I will go to my grave swearing that if we'd had him in the 1982 World Series, we'd have won it all. Heck, if we'd had Vuke healthy, and Fingers to close it out, I don't think the series would have been close. But that's in the past...

Interestingly enough, my best friend and his family live in Las Vegas, and Rollie coached his little girl in baseball last year.

I don't think he'd mind me sharing one of his pics with Mr. Fingers.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9624/rolliebrettjocy.jpg

I try to go to Vegas to see them once a year, and I'm hoping next time we go I'll have a chance to shake his hand.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Community Moderator

Oldcity, it wasn't a common thing, and in today's baseball world this will sound insane, but at that time they didn't want teams sending money to other teams for players.

Today, how often do you see cash, millions at times, involved in trades? That was something Rollie laughed about when we were discussing this...money is involved in trades all the time now, but at that time, Bowie Kuhn wouldn't have it.

Another aspect of this that makes no sense is, Rollie was a free agent after that season, and the Red Sox never even called him.

Verified Member

The owner of the A's, Charlie Finley wasn't really trading players back then as much as he was selling them. Bowie Kuhn stepped in when it was clear those deals were about draining the A's to benefit Finley.

This is kind of similar to the Frank McCourt situation, where baseball stepped in when it became clear that he wasn't being a good steward of the Dodgers franchise, but was draining assets for his own benefit.

It's fascinating to think of what could have happened had those trades gone through. The power structure of baseball might have been much different.

Vida Blue as a Yankee might have meant another ring or two for Steinbrenner. He was still very much in his prime in 1976.

Of course, the additions of Rudi and Fingers to the Red Sox might have ended their suffering much sooner. They got close a few times, and those two might have pushed them over the edge.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Odd that the Red Sox didn't even contact him. They had no closer per se on their 1976 squad.

Thankfully, it all worked out in the end. After a few seasons with the Padres, Rollie made his way to Milwaukee.

splitterpfj, that was the impression my friend gave me also. He said that Rollie was quite personable, and really good with kids. I've always thought of him as being a class act. A Hall of Fame person and pitcher.

It's so cool that you had a chance to meet him. In the same position, I'd have to keep myself from talking his ear off. :laughing

My apologies, I misread what you'd said. Still, I am envious.

I met Rollie at Spring Training last year, and it was awesome. He's a great guy, and he was fun to talk to. Got my picture with him, and a personalized autographed photo. It was a very cool experience, and great memory for me. That autographed photo is now a prized possession of mine.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

That's awesome, PrinceEatMeat. I hope to meet him one day myself.

Rollie was super-clutch in the post-season, much more so than Hoffman, Lee Smith, Goose Gossage, Bruce Sutter, Eckersley and a bunch of other closers, especially Billy Wagner. That is why I tend to think of Rollie as the #2 closer of modern times, behind Mariano Rivera.... there are other guys in the distant past that were clutch like that, such as Dizzy Dean, but they were starters who were also called upon to close games.

I know that the post-season is usually a small sample, but I think the way a baseball player performs in the post-season often sets them apart when comparing the greats

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

MLB network had a countdown of the nine greatest seasons ever by a closer. Rollie's 1981 season didn't even crack the list, but he got a mention as one of the "other" great season.

Now, 1981 was the strike shortened year. But if you look at Rollie's stats, they're mind boggling. 28 saves (109 games in the season, 2/3 of a normal year), an ERA of 1.04, and a WHIP of 0.872. Nearly 5 strikeouts per walk. That's God mode for a reliever. He won the MVP and Cy Young.

No way that year isn't one of the nine greatest ever.

Interestingly enough, my best friend and his family live in Las Vegas, and Rollie coached his little girl in baseball last year.

I try to go to Vegas to see them once a year, and I'm hoping next time we go I'll have a chance to shake his hand.

Kind of on topic, but your friend looked so familiar to me, and I wondered if I knew him. I couldn't place him, and it was killing me- then I noticed he was in Vegas. He's an expert on Pawn Stars isn't he? Pretty cool.

Kind of on topic, but your friend looked so familiar to me, and I wondered if I knew him. I couldn't place him, and it was killing me- then I noticed he was in Vegas. He's an expert on Pawn Stars isn't he? Pretty cool.

Yes! I was wondering where I recognized him from as well, and you are exactly right. That is awesome.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Yes, Brett is the fine art appraiser on "Pawn Stars". I've known him for about 23 years. He's like a brother to me, and just an incredibly nice guy.

Here's another.

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/LotImages/20/16226d_med.jpeg

Archived