Brewer Fanatic

First Base Solutions

No, KRod was not the single biggest reason for the great second half. It was their starting pitching.

I'd actually argue that it was the weak schedule. On that note, the next 3 weeks are lining up to be a cake walk for the most part. Hopefully the team is getting hot at the right time. If they play well, they have a pretty solid chance at getting back to .500 by the end of this stretch.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would it take to get Lahair from Chicago? I'm not sold that he'll be a future star but he seems to have potential at least. With Anthony Rizzo ready to go the Cubs can't ask too much for him because teams know they'll have to move him eventually (similar to when we had Lyle Overbay). I like Gamel but if we can get Lahair at a decent price it might be worth considering. I'd still like to trade Hart this offseason (or sooner) so Gamel could always be an option for RF if Lahair holds down 1B.

I have a scary feeling that the Crew will be sellers

That's a good thing. Might as well get valuable pieces for players that will be gone anyway.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

What would it take to get Lahair from Chicago? I'm not sold that he'll be a future star but he seems to have potential at least. With Anthony Rizzo ready to go the Cubs can't ask too much for him because teams know they'll have to move him eventually (similar to when we had Lyle Overbay). I like Gamel but if we can get Lahair at a decent price it might be worth considering. I'd still like to trade Hart this offseason (or sooner) so Gamel could always be an option for RF if Lahair holds down 1B.

I'm sure the Cubs would consider trading LaHair, but he can play corner OF, so I'd guess they're most likely to trade DeJesus and pay someone to take Soriano so that they can have Rizzo at 1B, with Brett Jackson and LaHair in the OF. Campana, Jackson, Castro, Rizzo, LaHair is a decent and inexpensive top of the order.

If we were to trade for LaHair, I would guess he would man 1B this season, but would go to RF in future years with Gamel at 1B and Hart traded. I don't hate the idea, but the Cubs would probably ask more than I'd want to give up.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

LaHair is 6'5, 240 and has a big lower half. He can barely play 1st, he can't play in the corner outfield. He's almost 30 so he's also at his peak and his .402 BABIP is not sustainable. Stay far, far away from LaHair.

LaHair is 6'5, 240 and has a big lower half. He can barely play 1st, he can't play in the corner outfield. He's almost 30 so he's also at his peak and his .402 BABIP is not sustainable. Stay far, far away from LaHair.

I just started with Corey Hart and went down the list to pick out other outfielders starting with "H"

Corey Hart 6'6", 235 lbs

Bryce Harper 6'3", 215 lbs (I'm sure he'll fill out, and will remain an OF when he's 235 lbs or so)

Chris Heisey, 6'0", 220 lbs

Eric Hinske, 6'2", 235 lbs

Matt Holliday, 6'4", 235 lbs

Torii Hunter, 6'2", 225 lbs

Why would 6'5", 240 preclude someone from playing the OF? It seems pretty common for MLB OFs to be big and tall. Besides, he's played enough outfield in his minor league career that baseball-reference lists him as "first baseman and outfielder." I doubt he wins a gold glove, but he probably won't embarrass himself.

He's certainly had a hot start to the season, and no one should expect him to put up those ridiculous numbers for his career, but he does have raw power, is not overmatched by MLB pitching and is in his rookie year so he's inexpensive and has 5.5 years of MLB service time remaining. As I mentioned, I wouldn't pay what I'm sure the Cubs will ask but he would be an upgrade for our current team. He will most likely be a corner OF for the Cubs when Rizzo comes up... they just need to clear room for him by trading DeJesus or giving away Soriano.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I just started with Corey Hart and went down the list to pick out other outfielders starting with "H"

Corey Hart 6'6", 235 lbs

Bryce Harper 6'3", 215 lbs (I'm sure he'll fill out, and will remain an OF when he's 235 lbs or so)

Chris Heisey, 6'0", 220 lbs

Eric Hinske, 6'2", 235 lbs

Matt Holliday, 6'4", 235 lbs

Torii Hunter, 6'2", 225 lbs

Why would 6'5", 240 preclude someone from playing the OF? It seems pretty common for MLB OFs to be big and tall. Besides, he's played enough outfield in his minor league career that baseball-reference lists him as "first baseman and outfielder." I doubt he wins a gold glove, but he probably won't embarrass himself.

I don't think those help your case. 2-3'' is actually a pretty big difference in height. And Corey Hart and Matt Holliday aren't exactly considered good fielders. I think LaHair will be pretty good in terms of power for the next few years but he is almost 30. And I don't think he'll make a great, good, or even average outfielder in terms of defense. If we could get him for nothing (C-level prospect), sure I'd think about it. But I definitely wouldn't give up anything of value.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived