Brewer Fanatic

First Base Solutions

Hey guys I am an old member (Hart of Milwaukee) with a new account. I recently wrote a blog summarizing what I think the Brewers top 5 solutions should be at 1st base, because like many of you I fear a Conrad/ Ishikawa platoon. Ill list the options, but if you want the rationale please check the link. Please move this thread if you have a better spot for it.

5. Trade for Lars Anderson

4. Sign Derrek Lee

3. Call up Gindl and move Hart

2. Call up Green and move Ramirez

1. Trade for Brett Wallace

http://bennylips.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/how-should-the-brewers-fill-1st-base/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Green's already up and has played one game at first. I'd just play him at 1B and see what he can do at the MLB level. If he looks overmatched, then I'd go for a "Plan B," but give him the first shot.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Green got called up for the sake of being called up. He is not playing everyday and that is the wrong decision. If they are going to give the kid a shot then give him either the starting spot at 1st or 3rd for the forseable future. Lets learn from Gamel and stop messing with our prospects. 10 at-bats a week is not setting Green up to succeed in the big leagues.

I agree. Yesterday's pre-game show made it sound like Ishikawa was going to get most of the starts, and I think that's bad news. I'd like use this "opportunity" to see Green as an everyday player. I'd give him most of the starts at 1B and use him to give Weeks and Ramirez a day off here & there.

I don't know if it's Melvin or Roenicke who doesn't like Green, but it seems one of them doesn't want to give him much playing time. My guess is Roenicke, since Melvin brought him up last year and Roenicke kept playing McGehee over him, it was Roenicke's call to put "this year's Kotsay" (Ishikawa) on the 25-man over Green, and now it sounds like Ishikawa is going to play over Green at 1B.

I don't know if it's a general preference for veterans over rookies, or if it's a personal thing with Green, but I hate the thought that he's going to ride the pine while Ishikawa starts. Maybe he'll be a good MLB player or maybe not, but he has talent and now's a good chance for him to show what he can do.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

For sure, I think baseball in general that puts too much stock in gritty veterans. Apparently, there is something we the average fan are missing, because we obviously aren't putting the same amount of value into 500-1000 mlb at-bats of experience in strikeouts, groundouts, and hitting into double plays as most of the decision makers in baseball.

I agree with giving Green the job and using the current situation as an opportunity. Ishikawa and/or Conrad are not MLB starting options. Maybe Green isn't either but let's find out. He has nothing more to really prove in the minors. There are plenty of buy low prospect deals or retread vet possibilities but I just don't think any of them are considerably better than what Green is.

I'm a little baffled here. People are upset that he's not starting, yet when he was sent to AAA over being the 6th inning pinch hitter, people were furious. I'm not sold on Ishikawa, but he was a solid prospect and he may need an opportunity. I'd like Green to start some games, but by no means am I upset.

I would expect Green to be Ishikawa at worst. I am not to worried about 1B and I would not want to trade for a long term guy unless the price was right. I am way way way more worried about SS. I think Green is a small step down from Gamel.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm a little baffled here. People are upset that he's not starting, yet when he was sent to AAA over being the 6th inning pinch hitter, people were furious. I'm not sold on Ishikawa, but he was a solid prospect and he may need an opportunity. I'd like Green to start some games, but by no means am I upset.

I'm one of the guys who's upset Green's not starting, but I always said that I wanted him playing everyday in AAA in case of an injury, in which case I wanted him starting every day in Milwaukee. I just assumed the injury would be to Weeks or Ramirez. I wanted Conrad (not Green) to make the 25-man over Ishikawa.

What I'm baffled about is why did they want him in AAA getting everyday playing time if they're now going to call him up to sit on the Brewers' bench behind Ishikawa. It sounds like Ishikawa is going to get the majority of the starts at first, so maybe Green wasn't kept down to get everyday playing time, but because Roenicke/Melvin really think Ishikawa is the better player.

~Bill Walsh

I don't think Gagnon can be traded this year? Maybe not until July...

Correct, he has to be 1 year past his signing date to be eligible for a trade and while I'm not opposed to moving him, when I look at the cubs organization what exactly are we going to try to pull when they are in rebuilding? The only players I would want are young long-term solutions that they wouldn't want to give up. For example, Rizzo could be a nice long-term option if the organization isn't sold on Gamel, Castro would fill an obvious SS need, and so on. Furthermore the only pieces I'd be willing to give up are those on short term contracts which doesn't seem to fit Theo's current plan for the Cubs either.

I don't see it a fit and I think it was more likely that they are doing their due diligence on the Midwest League. What T-Rats are worth taking a look at from a different organization's perspective? Gagnon, Walla, possibly Goforth, and maybe Rivera? I'm not saying the other guys don't have a MLB future in some capacity but if you're scouting for impact talent it's going to be a pretty short list on every MiLB team. Every once in a while you get a team like our Huntsville squad in 2008 or the current Jackson team (Seattle's AA) which has 3 prospects rated in BA's top 60 in all of baseball but it doesn't happen very often.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As to "Potential first base solutions," what does everyone think of Hunter Morris? He's 23 and he's hitting .303 avg / .357 OBP / .470 SLG / .827 OPS in AA this season. He hasn't tore up minor league pitching, but what does everyone see for his future? Could he be an option later this season, will he challenge Gamel in the future, or is he going to be a decent minor leaguer who's never good enough for the big leagues?

~Bill Walsh

I've been pretty slow to jump on his bandwagon, I'm not sure what to make of him.

He doesn't walk much and doesn't hit for extreme power, but he has decent power, makes good contact, and his numbers are ascending as he progresses through the minor leagues.

I guess it depends whom we are comparing him to? Halton vs Morris I take Morris. Gamel vs Morris I take Gamel. Morris vs Ishakawa/Conrad I'm undecided.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As to "Potential first base solutions," what does everyone think of Hunter Morris? He's 23 and he's hitting .303 avg / .357 OBP / .470 SLG / .827 OPS in AA this season. He hasn't tore up minor league pitching, but what does everyone see for his future? Could he be an option later this season, will he challenge Gamel in the future, or is he going to be a decent minor leaguer who's never good enough for the big leagues?

I've been following Hunter Morris for awhile now. He is a guy who tore up the SEC in college ball, a .386 BA, .460 OBP and 23 HR's/76 RBI's in 64 games for Auburn in 2010.

He has potential. I don't put much stock into Brevard County hitting stats, that is a pitcher's park if there ever was one....

Morris needs to walk more, he needs to get back to the 80-100 points above his BA for OBP that he displayed for all 3 of his college years.

He's probably still adjusting to the pro game and to wooden bats. Right now in this season he is hitting .303 with a .357 OBP, so it appears he's starting to "get it" in terms of taking his walks. He has just 2 HR's in 35 games, but he does have 16 doubles.

He's starting to project into a Lyle Overbay type, which wouldn't be so bad at all. I think he can be a starting 1B in MLB. He has the work ethic and the background to do it. Hopefully he can finish up the season in AAA this year

Here is a cool article about him http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04/the_home-grown_star_hunter_mor.html

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'd check into Mark Reynolds. I've read some rumors that the Orioles are/were trying to move him. That's kind of a contradiction to what I posted previous but he can be a difference maker for the 2 months of the season he's hitting.

Thoughts on the suggestion by Harold Reynolds (I know, tough to agree with the source) during the Fox pre-game show?

How do you turn the Brewers around?

Trade K-Rod to Boston for Kevin Youkilis and play him at 1st base.

Thoughts on the suggestion by Harold Reynolds (I know, tough to agree with the source) during the Fox pre-game show?

How do you turn the Brewers around?

Trade K-Rod to Boston for Kevin Youkilis and play him at 1st base.

Not a bad idea I am not sure the Red Sox would give up on Youkilis for a 1-year bullpen fix though.

I had suggested Youkilis in the Gamel injury thread, and I do believe the Red Sox would take a short term offer to move him. Will Middlebrooks is looking like he's for real, and Boston would like to shed his salary. Youkilis had a team option for next season, so he'd be a short term deal as well.

Has Lucroy ever played 1st in college or the minors? The whole Joe Mauer situation had me thinking about this. It would really help to have Luc's bat still in the lineup when Wolf is pitching.

i think he deserves a day off now and then. there cant be a more difficult position then catcher.

I think so too but I think he could be capable of playing a few games at first, particularly against a lefty starter. Giving him a day off behind the plate is what is most important and that would happen if he was at 1st.

Let's not get crazy here. Lucroy is a good hitter for a catcher but he wouldn't be in the top 5 hitters on this team if Green is at 1B. Certainly not a guy you move around to make room for his bat in the lineup.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Has Lucroy ever played 1st in college or the minors? The whole Joe Mauer situation had me thinking about this. It would really help to have Luc's bat still in the lineup when Wolf is pitching.

I'd absolutely consider doing that against LHP if Lucroy is a decent 1B, and I would even promise not to complain about Kottaras starting against the lefty. Healthy lineup of Weeks-Lucroy-Braun-Ramirez-Hart-Gomez-Kottaras-Gallardo, filling out the last spot with Izturis if it's a weak LHP and a sack of onions if it's a dominating LHP.

Of course, if Lucroy can't play 1B or if Roenicke thinks giving him those days off is more important, it's probably not for the best.

I like the idea of Lucroy getting a day off every five days. He wore down last year, and I think it was because he rarely got a full day off. Kottaras played when Wolf pitched, and as soon as Wolf came out Lucroy came into the game. That's tough duty. I'd rather have his rested, healthy bat in the lineup 80% of the time instead of his wore-down bat in the lineup 100% of the time.

~Bill Walsh

Archived