Brewer Fanatic

Gonzalez Torn ACL, Likely Done for Year

This was the one position this team couldn't afford an injury at. We have zero organizational depth at this position right now, in my mind. And as far as what is out there, every team has the advantage when dealing with us because they know we need a SS. Sad day. The Twins just called up Dozier. So maybe we have a shot at Jamey Carroll. At least he has a glove. His offense is anorexic, but anything has to be better than Izturis right now.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not sure how to go on this one.

I'm not ready to bail on the Brewers' season just yet, which makes me want to get a new SS. Izturis, Maysonet, Bianchi - those guys aren't going to help us get to the playoffs.

But I'm also wary with regard to what we are willing to take on.

I guess I'd sniff around and if we can get an upgrade for a reasonable price, go for it. I assume this isn't going to happen - decent shortstops aren't cheap. In which case I guess maybe wait a month or so and see if the team can come out of its funk and get back into the race. At that point you can make the call. It's just so early for anyone to be making any salary dumps.

Man, I wish we had JHJR right about now.

I still say the worse move of the year was Ramirez. I'd rather have had a Green/Hairston platoon than pay A-Ram $36 million. It would have been a lot easier to find Green a right handed 3B partner (Wes Helms anyone?). Of course, hindsight is 20/20. If A-Ram catches fire (and he's got to get better - doesn't he?), I'll be happy to have him.

JHJ just pulled up lame yesterday as well (not that he'd have been available at any rate). Both he and Yuni are hurt. Looks like a little residual bad mojo from the Brewers rubbed off on them. That said, I wish Melvin would have bit the bullet and given JHJ another year in an effort to keep him.

I am not giving up on the season. Simply stating that we aren't going to make it through the year with a SS platoon of below average offensive talent and average defensive talent. With Yuni, when he made contact, he at least had some pop potential. Of course he had limited range.

I also don't think we'd be bailing the Twins out. You could easily make them eat the chunk of payroll. Face it, no matter when we decide to make a SS transaction, it is going to cost the organization a prospect or cash, neither of which will be cheap. Average to Good SS's aren't cheap anywhere. It is just too bad we don't have something internal.

I agree reilly, my vote would be to go with what we have for a month or so (Green at 1B, Estrada or Peralta in rotation, Izturis/Maysonet/Bianchi at SS). We were in the discussion as a playoff team to start this season, but everything has gone wrong for us so far. We're not doomed, but I think the oddsmakers would have us as a long-shot for making the playoffs at this point. Once we get to mid-June we'll know if we're in it or out of it. If we're at or near the top of the division, we can spend some of our meager resources (prospects or money) to upgrade. If we're out of it, we can sell off some of the guys who are going to be free agents to upgrade our future playoff chances.

I also agree on the financial mis-steps. The strategy of signing aging veterans (whether they're free agents or extending our own guys when they're almost free agents) does not allow us to have much money to spend elsewhere, and trading for high-priced veterans has left us with a weak farm system unable to complement our MLB roster. Now, in a panic move to "save the season" (more likely putting a band-aid on a gunshot wound) we'll either sign a overpriced free agent or trade some of our few-remaining prospects. These moves will help us finish a little better in the standings this season, but won't stop us from losing a lot of talent to free agency this offseason. I'd personally rather see us sell than see us spend money & prospects to end up with a .500 record and lose Greinke, Marcum, K-Rod and possibly Wolf for nothing.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Community Moderator

This one might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Their depth is just abysmal right now. Even if the replacements are serviceable, the bench is full of players that would never have made the 2011 roster. It's especially bad because it's only May 7th and they already had issues even before these injuries popped up.

I don't expect anyone to "give up" on the season or for the team to completely tank. They might still go .500 and hang with the contenders if they can pitch ok. And you never know if some of the rookies can get going. But if I take off the Brewers-glasses, it sure looks like a long season is upon us.

Agreed Monyy. We can't start trading what we have left for guys that aren't going to be long term difference makers.

I'd think that Melvin has gotta be thinking the same thing. We do need to do something at short though, so he may have see what's available.

Can DM find a way to convince Greinke that we can sign him and go for it next season?

Either way, this could be a brutal summer.

They are in a real tough spot right now. You would think the pitching gets in a groove at some point. The staff is too good to wind up 16th in ERA. They still seem like a top 5-6 staff. That and a top 5-6 offense with with improved defense should have been good enough for the playoffs. Slide the offense and the D with the lack of depth and no real room on payroll or any minor league pieces they would want to trade and I'm not sure what they do. My guess is don't break the bank on deal and keep chugging...hope the pitching improves enough to make a run...if not, they probably start to think about trading a couple pieces to see what they can set up for next year...and keep begging Zack to come back. Tough spot...they had a decent plan and went for it, just needed the health to hang in there a little more.

I feel bad for Gonzalez...by all accounts he seemed to be just what the doctor ordered at short...a reasonable cost option with a stellar glove and a little pop.

I also don't think we'd be bailing the Twins out. You could easily make them eat the chunk of payroll.

If I were any other team's management and had a passable SS to spare, I'd have huge dollar signs in my eyeballs at just the mention of "Brewers" or "Doug Melvin is on the line." I wish it were otherwise, but the Brewers don't have a good bargaining position.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I tend to be optimistic so take this for what it's worth. Assuming the players we have play to their norm we need one offensive guy to step up a little and we are back on track. Last season we had two black holes where they brought no defense or offense. Now with the two injuries we may end up with two again on offense but still don't have any players who bring nothing. If we can fill first base with adequate production we can be about the same as last year offensively. Combine that with better defense and everything we had hoped for is still possible. Whether that comes from someone stepping up in the outfield to allow Hart to move to first or someone like Green stepping up we need someone to do it. If we do I am as comfortable with Izturas at short as I was last season with Yuni. Just for different reasons. Who knows maybe Maysonet turns into McGehee for a year or two and we upgrade there unexpectedly. We just need SOMEBODY to play above expectations and nobody to be well below them to be a playoff team. Keep in mind this was a good team coming in and still has 90% of that team intact.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This one hurts more than the others. Other than obvious stars like Weeks, Greinke, Gallards and Braun we had the biggest drop off between our starter and backup at SS.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Im ok with Izturis for the time being. His defense should be steady and he has no bat but we got by with Yuni last year.

But Yuni had some pop in his bat. Izturis can throw the ball farther than he can hit it. Just sayin'.

There's a huge difference between Yuni's bat and Izturis/Maysonet's bat. He isn't a good hitter by any means, but he'd be tolerable if he were a good defender. Izturis' batting line from 2010-2012 (little PT in 2011, 2012) is .226/.272/.260, while Yuni's is .256/.282/.394 over that same time. It's hard to know if the difference in defense from average+ to far below average is greater than the difference in their bats.

You know times are bad when I think Yuniesky Betancourt may be better than our current SS options.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As much as many of us trash Yuni (myself included), he has some positives to him. Durable (although he is on the DL), solid pop for his position, makes contact. Yuni of last year would be an upgrade at this point.

Archived