Brewer Fanatic

Possible SS Replacements

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They need somebody to pick up for Chipper always being injured/old.

Don't we need someone to pick up for Aramis being injured/old? I don't think Pastornicky is worth trading anything for.

Listen I love Green as much as the next guy, but I just don't think this team see's Green in their long term future, so trade him for basically a similar 2WAR player at a premium position and who is still only 22. Green is blocked by Ramirez and Weeks for the foreseeable future, and 2B looks like it'l Gennett's to take when Weeks is gone. At SS we have 3 30-something below average utility players STARTING as SS for us. Can he really be any worse than what we have at SS right now? We have people clamoring for a waiver pickup from KC in AAA, think about that for a second. Pastornicky is young and still has room to grow. He had very similar numbers to Escobar when he was coming up, except Escobar was 1-2 years older at each level.

Pastornicky could be a realistic target, as Simmons seems to be the clear-cut choice as Atlanta's SS of the future. I honestly don't care how he'd play this year, as he'd be getting his feet wet in what appears to be a lost season for the Brewers. The important thing is that we'd have a talented young player for five more years in a position in which we are woefully thin throughout the system.

I would probably try to have him as an additional piece in a bigger deal. Maybe something centering on Hart, Greinke or Marcum for one of their young pitchers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Maybe a Marcum & Green for Minor & Pastornicky swap would work. Minor is having a rough year, but still has prety potential as at least a #3. Marcum gives them a proven player for their stretch run and Green is great insurance for Chipper, Uggla, & Freeman.

If Pastornicky is not seen as a viable long-term starter at shortstop, I don't really want to give up Taylor Green for him.

I'd have to agree with this.

To the poster who mentioned this earlier, was it that people "in the know" believe that he is not good enough to be a MLB shortstop, or is it that Simmons is going to be a better SS, so Pastronicky wouldn't have a place as a SS for the Braves?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

According to Fangraphs:

Pastornicky is considered an average defender with skills that play up because of his instincts. His pre-pitch positioning is excellent and he reads the ball very well off the bat; he gets good jumps to both sides. He has good footwork and soft hands and, while he doesn’t have highlight reel range, he has more than enough for the position.

In all I can deal with an average defender considering that is all we have at the position currently in my opinion. It's his potential that sets him apart from what we currently have. Worse case scenario we have our starting SS til we develop someone better (Riviera).

I think our lineups recently has shown a lot about what the org thinks about Green. Today he isn't starting over Ransom or Maysonet(Ransom at SS). Garza is a RHP and they are starting 2 RH hitters instead of him.

Thanks cvollbrecht. Even "average" defense with "average" bat would be a lot better than we've seen at SS in a while. Add "potential upside" and 5.5 years of inexpensive service time, and I'd be happy if we got him.

Agreed on Green. I thought there was a chance he was going to be our starting 3B going into this season, and now he can't find playing time over a bunch of minor league retreads (Ishikawa, Ransom, Maysonet, Conrad, Izturis). I still like him and wish he'd get a shot, but it doesn't look like his future with the Brewers is much more than a bench/utility player.

~Bill Walsh

I think what the Brewers are doing w/ Green looks more like putting him in a position to build him up for long-term success rather than like an indicating/suggesting that he's a failure.

It's a random analogy, but while the Twins knew of Johan Santana's talents & high ceiling, he started a couple years in a row in the bullpen, built up his results & confidence at the MLB level, and moved him into the rotation when it was the right combination of opportunity & readiness.

I'm not suggesting Green's a future MVP. But being brought along a little bit slowly at the MLB level can be an intentional strategy. Would you look back on the Twins of Santana's early years and say they were idiots for not putting him into the rotation right away since he turned out to be a Cy Young Award winner later?

I don't think you could successfully argue that Maysonet or Conrad have out-produced Green so far.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't really think we should buy, but if we don't sell, and we actually think we have a chance, we need a shortstop of some kind. The combination of Izturis/Ransom/Mayonset is an absolute train wreck.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't really think we should buy, but if we don't sell, and we actually think we have a chance, we need a shortstop of some kind.

Whether buying or selling, getting a younger SS with potential is a good idea.

losing our Starting SS really hurt this team more than any other injury.

That's only if you assume Gonzalez would have continued at the clip he started on. Remember he had just a .270 OBP last year. Between them Isturis (2), Ransom (0) and Maysonet (3) have just 5 errors, so defensively they've been okay and like Gonzalez, Ransom has pop.

BTW, Bianchi's back up to .309 and has only made 2 errors in 42 games at Nashville. At some point they need to look at him this season.

Archived