Brewer Fanatic

Green and Maysonet called up

Is Maysonet an elite defensive SS? If not, he's not the solution. In his past three seasons in AAA, he's hit about .265/.325/.350. Again, that's in AAA.

The best thing for this team would be for Ramirez to move to 1B. If Gonzalez is only out for 4-6 weeks, perhaps they can make Izturis/Maysonet work. If it's any more, they absolutely need to find a replacement. Guys I immediately think of are the same guys we thought about last season: Jamey Carroll and Clint Barmes, maybe JHJ. But, as they were all signed as FA's this offseason, I don't think any of them can be traded until June 1st.

Melvin's failure to get a solid backup IF could be a killer for this team. Jamey Carroll signed a 2-year, $6.5 million deal with the Twins. Hairston signed with LA for 2 years and $6 million.

It's really hard not to proclaim that this season is over right now, especially if Gonzalez misses more than a few weeks. Talk about a horrible first month of the season.

Melvin's inability to overpay for Hairston has really come back to bite the Brewers. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but signing a player like Alex Gonzalez, with his injury history, and having Cesar Izturis as the only back-up in the entire organization, and expecting the Brewers to be contenders under such a scenario is foolhardy at best.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

The problem is that it's really hard to make trades this early in the season. They'll have to get by with in-house options at 1B and SS until probably July. Whether or not they are still in contention at that point remains to be seen, but it's obviously not encouraging with the remaining options available. Free agency could be an option at 1B with Derrek Lee, but I think it's more likely they just go with the Ishikawa/Conrad platoon for awhile. Then maybe try Hart or Green there before they look elsewhere. SS is a different story though. They have to know Izturis/Maysonet just isn't going to work to begin with. There's no Plan B after those two either like there is at 1B.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It's a month into the season and we have a better shot of overcoming injuries this season than last. All is not lost. Izturis isn't going to be any worse overall than Yuni was last season. At least he's a real shortstop defensively. This next month we'll find out about first base. I can't see them sticking with the current options when Hart was already getting ready somewhat to play there. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are just playing the others at first until Hart feels ready to make the jump. Then we tap our outfield depth and just move on. We still have the pitching and a better defense than we had last season. A shuffling in the outfield may make that even better when Gomez comes back.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I agree, it's far too early to count us out. All of these injuries so early in the season are terrible, and seem to make things grim, but we're not necessarily doomed. We really just have to get by for a month or two, and then we can look at trade options if nothing has worked out. Izturis is definitely still an upgrade defensively over Yuni, but he won't provide that pop that Yuni and Gonzalez did. 1B is a big question mark, but hopefully something works out there within the next few weeks. If not, we'll have some options to look at in trades. Just need to try to stay in the race, and then anything can happen late in the season. That was proved last year with what happened with the Rays and Cardinals.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I would prepare for the worst with Gonzalez

The severity of Gonzalez’s injury won’t be known until an MRI is performed Monday in Milwaukee. But the Brewers were preparing for a long-term absence, perhaps as bad as the torn ACL suffered by first baseman Mat Gamel in San Diego on Tuesday.

“It's something bad," said Gonzalez, who had a full-length brace on his right leg in the clubhouse after the game.

"We'll have to wait until Monday to get an MRI to see what kind of injury it is. When I twisted it, it felt real bad.”

Brewers can't afford an all field no hit shortstop with the current lineup. Our starting pitchers are the same(other then Narveson) but that doesn't mean they will be as good as last year. So far it's not even close. Wolf looks like Doug Davis. The bullpen has been also been a big downgrade from last year.

Jeff Bianchi was hitting .365 starting the night for Huntsville. His career FP at SS is pretty good by minor league standards. I'd reach down and bring him up.

I for one would look into dealing for Betancourt too, if anything just to drive you guys nuts. He'd be an upgrade over Izturis.

Verified Member
We're done. At least we can see what we've got in the minors. I agree: play 'em.

The injuries suck but Gonzalez/Gamel were the worst two starters on the team. We're only done for the season this early if Braun, Greinke, or Gallardo get injured.

We're not done, but needed everything to go right to be a playoff team again, much less a legit WS contender. Aside from the injuries, we're not scoring enough runs, Gallardo is struggling, the rotation in general is not good enough, and the bullpen is already over-used and not as good as last year. Beyond all that, 4 months to go in the season so it wouldn't be crazy to say more injuries are coming.

It's a long season, not ready to give in. However, I do think all of this is an opportunity to play a few guys full time. Aoki, Green, and Peralta. Start Aoki full time in CF, Morgan becomes the 4th OF. Start Green at 1B, or put him at 3B at move Ramirez there. Either way, play Green full time at one of those positions. Conrad is PH, Izturis as SS and Maysonet emergency SS until they find someone better, and Ishikawa they can do whatever they want. Put Peralta into the rotation.

To me, that's not waving the white flag. As long as Green is up now, he should be playing every day. With Gomez down, Aoki is a better defensive CF and arguably the same offensively as Morgan. You signed the guy for two years, let's see if he can play. Some combination of Greinke, Marcum, Wolf, and Narveson won't be in the rotation next year, so why not get Peralta the experience? If he can't do the job, better to know now.

I just really believe this is the way to go instead of shuffling everyone around every game. Hart/Ish/Conrad at 1B, Shell game in the OF every night... I don't want to see that. Let's throw Aoki, Green, amd Peralta in there for a a couple months and see what they can do.

I only play a GM on the internet( and I am not doing really great there either) but I would like to see Hart to first and bring Schafer up to start, see if we can sign someone like Aaron Miles. Again that is just me

I think i'm about one injury away from a firm belief that some one up there is a cardinals fan...Especially after 06' and last season. Although I suppose we should be thankful that our big, moveable pieces haven't been injured yet (knock on wood)
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Jeff Bianchi was hitting .365 starting the night for Huntsville. His career FP at SS is pretty good by minor league standards. I'd reach down and bring him up.

I for one would look into dealing for Betancourt too, if anything just to drive you guys nuts. He'd be an upgrade over Izturis.

Would also like for us to try to make a bold move with Bianchi and see what happens - send him back down after a month or so if he is completely lost and there's nothing lost over what we have now. Though I expect to see more of the usual over-caution and it'll be three more years until we see him even if he keeps producing in the minors.

Wouldn't even mind seeing Yuni at this point. I don't think the Royals would want more than a buck fifty for him, but it looks like it'll be a good two weeks until that remote possibility could happen since he also just landed on the DL with an ankle sprain.

I only play a GM on the internet( and I am not doing really great there either) but I would like to see Hart to first and bring Schafer up to start, see if we can sign someone like Aaron Miles. Again that is just me

Not over Aoki I assume, correct? I'd prefer Braun/Gomez/Aoki assuming Gomez is a short term thing. Hart/Weeks/ANYONE ELSE/Aram/Lucroy and then our pitching.

I love these dramatic, "all is lost,"posts in May and then they just look like nonsense in Sept.

And I'm not ready to say Yo's struggling. He's looked dominant and has been hit hard by the Cards. That's it.

And frankly, I'd rather see them bring up Gindl than Schafer. When Gomez is healthy, we've got 3 CF'ers who are all very good defensively. Gindl in RF gives you a solid defender with an absolute cannon for an arm and power, ability to draw walks and a left handed hitter. Very similar to Gamel offensively IMO. Not the great swing, but we need to try a different approach. I'd like to see some games with Aoki and Gindl batting 1-2 once Gindl gets his feet wet because both can foul off a lot of pitches.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I pointed this out in a smaller thread, but as much as I like Schafer and Gindl it is really hard to call them up with the way they have started their seasons. Green may have been in a mini-funk, but he had clearly started to come around the last couple of weeks. Gindl wasn't even hitting .200 going into yesterday.

I pointed this out in a smaller thread, but as much as I like Schafer and Gindl it is really hard to call them up with the way they have started their seasons. Green may have been in a mini-funk, but he had clearly started to come around the last couple of weeks. Gindl wasn't even hitting .200 going into yesterday.

I would agree with that regarding Gindl. But Schafer's hitting .263. That's certainly below their expectations for him, but he's still only a hot week from .300, and I don't see why that would be such a huge factor if they like him. They know he can play defensively too.

Archived