Brewer Fanatic

Jason Kendall to Cubs for Bowen and Minor League Pitcher

brewcrew00

Unless they gave up Marshall, I don't think this is the worst thing for the Cubs. Kendall is bad this year, but he was bad last year before the All-Star break and batted .323 afterwards, and finished with a .295 BA and .367 OBP. The caveat there is the his SLG% was horrible, but still, he got on base quite a bit.

If he continues to suck, awesome. But if he pulls a last year, there's no reason for us to dance yet. If he can get on base a lot again this year, there's plenty of Cubs who can bat him in.

Kendall might not be good anymore, but can he really be worse than Koyie Hill? Hill has a sub .500 OPS in 61 ABs this year. This is an upgrade as hard as it is to believe that statement.

Maybe an upgrade over Hill, I don't think it's an upgrade over Bowen. Really, Kendall can't hit and can't throw anyone out anymore. They're paying more for less production. An upgrade? I doubt it.

If that was a "shot", they're shooting blanks.

Melvin can stand pat and see a net gain from this move.

The only upgrade for the Cubs is that the media will love this move. They always love any white dude with sweet stubble that is "scrappy". Add in that he's a catcher, and you've got the next best thing to heaven.

Quote:
Maybe an upgrade over Hill, I don't think it's an upgrade over Bowen.

I agree. Pretty confusing why the Cubs gave Hill all the ABs instead of Bowen. I wonder if Bowen will get regular playing time in Oakland, or if the job will go right to Kurt Suzuki?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I saw the trade half way through the Brewers game on FSN. I couldnt stop and think about it because I was working, but 2 things came to mind RIGHT away.

1. I like it. JK is terrible at the plate. cubs gave away a pitcher too? nice. (this has been said already, i know)

2. I HATE IT! JK's batting stance has been unbearable for me to watch for years now. For some reason i think of these silly lists in my head. He has topped the list for years and I was happy when he went to the AL because that means I wouldnt have to see him anymore. Now that hes back in the division, we get to see that all the time now. ARGH!

Way to go Billy!

For what? Overvaluing Kendall in the first place?

they're sending a nice hunk of cash the Cubs way too, and it's not like Kendall won't be an upgrade over Bowen.

I fail to see how this is "an unmistakable" A's coup, and not just another way to save yourself $1.5 million and make the team pay for his "player lust" yet again.

Still, unlike most GM's, Beane isn't afraid to cut his losses, maybe because even when h does, people call his mistakes "brilliant!"

Craig Counsell's line: .232/.341/.320

Carlos Zambrano's line: .267/.267/.422

Jason Kendall's line: .226/.241/.281

Zambrano hasn't taken a walk all year and has an OBP higher than Kendall. I'm thinking on days Zambrano pitches, the Cubs should bat him 8th and Kendall 9th.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I....love....this.....trade.....!

Seriously, not much has been better this year than seeing them give up on Barrett. Let's see, trade Barrett for Bowen, then give Bowen & more to get Kendall....OOPS!

It's a very good time to be a Brewers fan.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

[ Seriously, not much has been better this year than seeing them give up on Barrett. Let's see, trade Barrett for Bowen, then give Bowen & more to get Kendall....OOPS! ]

In fairness, it's arguable that the prospect they got in the Barrett/Bowen trade is better than the prospect they gave up to get Kendall.

Blevins is a 24 year old lefty dominating levels he probably should be dominating. From what I gathered on NSB, he throws in the low 90's with a nice change, but his calling in the majors will probably be as an average middle reliever and an eventual LOOGY.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Quote:
In fairness, it's arguable that the prospect they got in the Barrett/Bowen trade is better than the prospect they gave up to get Kendall.
A lot of work to get a mid-level prospect, but you've got a point. I'd guess that the Cubs weren't plotting these moves around that, but instead on finding a C, when they already had one. I understand that maybe guys don't get along, but they made a mistake in dealing Barrett, imho.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Still, unlike most GM's, Beane isn't afraid to cut his losses, maybe because even when h does, people call his mistakes "brilliant!"

I was attempting some mild sarcasm. I wasn't really a fan of the deal when they got him, and I was hoping they would just flat-out release him. He is seriously cooked.

This trade is looking good. Kendall's first start snapped the Cubs 4 game winning streak. Hopefully Kendall's second start could begin a Cubs losing streak. Be careful Jason, crazy Zambrano is on the mound tomorrow.

Archived