Brewer Fanatic

Jason Kendall to Cubs for Bowen and Minor League Pitcher

brewcrew00

Kendall is having a rough year at the plate, but his secondary stats show he's not really playing much worse than he usually does. He'll probably come on strong in the second half.

Nice buy for the Cubs, though I don't know anything about the minor leaguer.

I loved how Sutcliffe exclaimed "They just got better in a hurry!!" Yeah, a guy who has been below his career levels for the past 3 years, with an OPS of .542 this season. If this pitcher can tie his shoes the A's probably got the better of the deal.

Not sure how a below average defensive C who hasn't posted a .710+ OPS in any of the past 3 years and has an OPS of .542 this year can be considered a good move.

yes his BABIP is low this year but his BB's have also gone way down which generally is a bad sign.

Clearly Ted Hendry felt sympathy towards the Brewers after Sheets went on the DL. Obviously he's trying to level the playing field so the Cubs don't gain an advantage for that.

Seriously, how can anyone think this makes the Cubs better? I guess Kendall could come over and really out-hit my expectations and make me look dumb (not too difficult), but I don't see how anyone can think he's any good. He's slugging .286 for cripes sake!

This is what a Dodgers' fan said in the MLB Chat room on Yahoo messenger about the Kendall trade:

The cubs traded a pitcher with cumulative minor league stats of: 0.86 ERA 9 SV 69 K 13 BB in 52.1 IP and rob bowen a servicable backup....all for the worst player in baseball.

Clearly Ted Hendry felt sympathy towards the Brewers after Sheets went on the DL. Obviously he's trying to level the playing field so the Cubs don't gain an advantage for that.

I guess Kendall could come over and really out-hit my expectations and make me look dumb (not too difficult)

Not too difficult at all when its Jim Hendry :-)

I agree that this is a brutally bad trade for the Cubs, but they have proved me wrong before with some of their midseason acquisitions. Correct me if I am wrong, but Kendall has been a great second year player the last couple of years. Maybe he actually pulls off a .280 avg and .330 obp the rest of the way...probably not though.

Clearly TGJr on the HR derby he actually hit the wall with a fly ball in a real game this week. It's one thing to deal Barret and given that him and Zambrano couldn't live together it's justifiable to stick with Carlos. But to give up on Bowen after 30 ABs that's a bad week! If you look at his season EQA its .242 vs. Kendall's .187 mark. I agree the Cubs really helped us out on this one. What's next Aramis Ramirez for Wes Helms?

Archived