Brewer Fanatic

San Diego fan Robert Anderson -- Class Act

Brewer Fanatic Staff

LAKESIDE BASEBALL FAN TRACKS DOWN BRAUN AND HANDS OVER HOME RUN SOUVENIR

by Don Norcross, UTSandiego.com

Seated in a left-field, front-row seat Monday night at Petco Park, Robert Anderson tensed up for a moment as Ryan Braun smoked a line drive his way.

“I kept thinking, ‘I can’t drop this ball,’ ” said Anderson, a 25-year-old Lakeside landscaper.

Prepared with glove in left hand, Anderson reached across his body and snagged the souvenir, Braun’s third home run of the night. No one had hit three home runs in Petco Park’s nine-season history. Braun had never hit three home runs in a game.

The next three innings, Anderson tried getting Braun’s attention.

“He just tipped his cap,” Anderson said.

Wanting to give the ball to Braun, Anderson called and emailed the Brewers the next day.

“No one got back to me,” he said.

Undaunted, Anderson arrived early for Wednesday’s batting practice. He stood near the visitors’ third-base dugout, watching Braun take cuts.

When Braun stepped out of the cage, Anderson said, “I caught your third home run ball. You want it?”

“Yeah, I do,” Braun said. “That’d be nice.”

After Anderson gave him the ball, Braun took off his batting gloves, signed them and gave them to Anderson.

“Would you like anything else?” Braun asked.

“How about a bat?”

Braun headed to the Brewers’ dugout and returned with an autographed bat.

Why give away something when Anderson might have profited by selling the ball?

“It was the first time he hit three home runs in his career,” Anderson said. “That’s a big deal. It’s his accomplishment, not mine.”

Nice to see that attitude but lets be fair. That ball really has no value.

Now if he gave up Bonds record setting ball that would be something.....and I doubt he would do it even though it still was "his accomplishment not mine".

I think I'd have asked for a jersey.

;)

And maybe a ball, some cleats, a hat, some tickets. Lol, jk. What he got was pretty sweet to begin with. He did the right thing. Speaking of this subject though. Who was that guy that asked for season tickets or something like that? Didn't the Happy Youngster ask for something ridiculous for the Coughlin HR ball?

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

That is seriously cool. The amazing part is that he made such an effort, and then he didn't ask for the moon when given a chance. It's even better given the flak Braun has been catching; how nice must it be to have an opposing team's fan do something friendly for him? I'm glad somebody got this story.

Verified Member
It also would have been nice to see Braun go over and above what the guy asked for... PR never hurts, especially in Braun's situation.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived