Brewer Fanatic

Gamel's Injury (Torn ACL, needs surgery, likely done for year)

Weatherman,

They are contemplating Ishikawa and Conrad at first. I don't think they can make it with that. Hart at first still leaves them lacking something I think. Trade away more prospects for an aging 1B? No thanks. I'm just asking that we discuss the idea which doesn't seem far fetched to me. At the least, with the Red Sox and Yankees both down a closer, they should be shopping K-Rod big time.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the least, with the Red Sox and Yankees both down a closer, they should be shopping K-Rod big time.

Until K-Rod strings together several great games in a row, we're not gonna get much for him, considering his salary and how he's looked. And again, in Mark A's eyes and Melvin's eyes, K-Rod is a big part of how we can contend for a title this year.

I'd be very pleasantly shocked if the Brewers front office made any moves in 2012 that would help the Brewers of 2013 or 2014. I think the mentality, for better or worse, is a perpetual "win now"

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I don't have a major problem with that line-up, but I would rather have Green in the line-up every day over Morgan/Gomez. I guess I'm in the monority, but I see the Narvy/Gamel injuries as an opportunity to see what we have in Peralta/Green.

Not to mention they started 14-20 last year.

With the knowledge that they would soon get a big boost from Hart and Greinke coming back, we had just obtained Greinke and Marcum and would have them for another season, we had Prince for his final season, and we had money to spend on mid-season upgrades. Conversely this year we've played poorly with a completely healthy team and have now lost two key cogs (currently being replaced with AAAA fodder), we are looking at losing a lot of talent at the end of the season, and we can't have much money laying around (or prospects to trade) to upgrade the roster.

It's certainly not to soon to "start thinking about" selling. It's probably early to actually sell, other than the above mentioned fact that the Yankees and Red Sox may bid against each other for K-Rod and we may be able to get a lot more than he's worth in trade. If we can do that, then we should pull the trigger on that trade now. We do have talent on the team and play in a division without a dominant team, so we could certainly turn things around and eliminate the thought of selling. But right now, Melvin should be contemplating what to do if we don't turn things around.

As far as Greinke and Marcum, if we're going to lose them at season's end anyway, I would rather see us get something in return, so if we are a long-shot for the playoffs in a month or so, I'd start shopping them. Hart is another possibility, as he will probably have more value mid-season 2012 then he would during the offseason, so if we could get good return, I'd look into it. Morgan just makes sense because we have 3 CF on the roster. If we play Hart at 1B, we may need him on the roster, but if we could trade him for a younger corner OF/1B, I'd do it.

The extra wild card spot probably means we won't sell, but I think it would be better for the future of the franchise to do a mid-season re-tool for next year than it is to miss out on the playoffs and lose all the talent we're set to lose.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

April is worthless, the stats count but trying to make any sort of reasonable decision about a team or a player because of April is just useless. This same thing happens every year. If the team stinks through May without any real signs of improvement then starting to squawk about selling etc is probably fine but after April it just isn't useful.

Way too early to sell, and I say that fully expecting them to lose 2 or likely 3 against the Giants (they have always been bad on the West coast). I expect that the Brewers will look a lot better once they start playing the Cubs, Astros and Pirates a lot. The Cardinals have already played those teams 12 times, while the Brewers have only played them 6, and also played in places like Atlanta and the West coast where they have historically struggled.

Bottom line, let's not cede the division to the Cardinals just yet.... Unless I'm wrong, not one of their opponents to this point has a winning record as we stand.

If the Brewers get swept by the Giants, a very real possibility given the pitchers the Giants are throwing out there, they will be 6 games below .500. Is it too early to think about selling? The playoffs are really going to start looking very remote. Weeks, Hart, K-Rod, Greinke and Marcum all could potentially fetch something in return.

so you're saying the brewers will be 6 games under .500 on May 6th? that sound eerily familiar.....

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/date/20110506

Verified Member
All I can say is after last year's September, anyone giving up on the season in early May is being a little too reactionary. Think of the positive, the Brewers have way underperformed so far this season and are only 3 games under .500. It will turn around soon. As someone mentioned above, the Brewers get will get to beat up the Cubs and others. Weeks and ARam will hit, and KRod and the staff are not as bad as they have performed.

yes it is way too early to start thinking about selling, in large part because of ticket sales/public relations/public perception.

I see Mark A as being a very reluctant seller anyways. In fact I wouldn't be shocked if the Brewers are never sellers during the entire time Mark A owns the franchise. It'd be much more likely that the Brewers will overpay for a 1B and starting pitcher in order to try to get back in it, furthering mortgaging the future with the quote by Mark A being "we owe it to our fans...."

Further mortgaging their future how?

Marcum for Lawrie I'd agree with. Beyond that, I don't follow? How is adding a 1B and a P and I doubt we're talking about CC and Tex type players(just for example) mortgaging our future?

We'd be much more likely to sign a guy like Derek Lee, and inquire about a guy like Oswalt. And there's nothing to suggest we'll be hurting for money in the future. Hence Melvin's position on payroll flexibility.

In fact, all I've heard since we pass 80 million in payroll was that we were maxed out. Not true then, not true now.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

April is worthless, the stats count but trying to make any sort of reasonable decision about a team or a player because of April is just useless. This same thing happens every year. If the team stinks through May without any real signs of improvement then starting to squawk about selling etc is probably fine but after April it just isn't useful.

Another voice of reason in a sea of knee jerk reactonary responses.

Gamel will be back, and for the time being, we might even end up being a better team.

Aoki in RF/Gomez-Morgan in CF/Braun in LF.

The possible additions of a Josh Willingham type addition. Caleb Gindl or Schafer getting the call. Likewise for Green.

And does anyone think that Gallardo,Wolf, K-Rod and Axford wlil combine for an ERA near 6.00 all year long? Or that ARam, Weeks, Morgan and others will hit like they have all year?

Not likely. June 1st would be the time to even start to think about it. Plus, you still have Tyler Thornburg just dominating down in AA. If the Brewers wanted to be aggressive, who knows. He could have a '92, Cal Eldred like rookie second. Wily Peralta still hasn't been written off. Fiers.

My point in that regard is that for GOOD teams who end up winning a WS or a division, they'll ususually get contributions from players they simply didn't expect it from. Minor leaguers who progressed rapidly throughout the year and you can catch lightening in a bottle.

Bottom line, my post is all over the place, because the possibilities are all over the place.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

For all those wondering why or how the trainers let Gamel play that final out it is pretty simple. I blew out my knee when I was younger and it doesn't really hurt all that much. You feel a weird burn when the tear happens during the tweak of the knee but you can still put weight on the leg and even move around pretty well. The knee just feels really weak and loose.

Gamel probably knew something wasn't quite right but he probably told the staff it wasn't all that bad and he would give it a go.

All in all this is a huge blow. I am in favor of the Hart at 1st and Aoki in RF with Gomez/Morgan platoon in CF. We get an instant improvement in RF in terms of defense. Hart can go where he belongs. It only makes sense the laziest guy on the team plays the least demanding postion.

Not sure how Hart is lazy. And it makes no sense to degrade your best trading chip by moving him out of RF.

Have you seen him run or ever appear to be giving anything close to max effort?

Yes. Absolutely. Every single time I've watched him play he has done that. Every time I go to games he has done that. Your perception is flawed.

If you want a specific example, here you go.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w=2007/open/tp/archive09/091907_milhou_hart_def_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2007/09/19/milmlb-houmlb-1&mid=200709192219175&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp400&v=2&id=600515

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I want to clarify that I see a difference between "thinking about" and "doing." In my opinion, a GM should always "think about" every possible outcome. The Brewers are likely losing a lot of talent at the end of the season, so Melvin should have been "thinking about" selling since this offseason (i.e. what would have to happen for us to sell off, and if that happens, who do we sell and what do we try to get in return). Heck, I'm sure he's been "thinking about" what he was going to do with the Marcum/Greinke situation since he traded for both of them, knowing they'd both hit free agency at the same time.

The beginning of May is obviously too soon to actually sell. Mid-to-late June (when we did the CC trade) would be the earliest I could see selling actually happen. That said, with what has occurred on the injury front, I wouldn't consider something like shopping K-Rod for a 1B/corner OF to be "selling."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yes. Absolutely. Every single time I've watched him play he has done that. Every time I go to games he has done that. Your perception is flawed.

If you want a specific example, here you go.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w=2007/open/tp/archive09/091907_milhou_hart_def_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2007/09/19/milmlb-houmlb-1&mid=200709192219175&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp400&v=2&id=600515

I agree. Hart definitely plays hard. He has just lost a step or two over the last few years, which tends to happen to guys his size. Just because he doesn't beat out throws that he used to, or run down balls he used to, doesn't mean he's not trying out there, or is lazy. That's just completely untrue. I've seen him work hard every time he plays.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I agree. Hart definitely plays hard. He has just lost a step or two over the last few years, which tends to happen to guys his size. Just because he doesn't beat out throws that he used to, or run down balls he used to, doesn't mean he's not trying out there, or is lazy. That's just completely untrue. I've seen him work hard every time he plays.

He also had a screwed up knee the required surgery.

He also had a screwed up knee the required surgery.

Another good point. It was apparently bothering him most of last season as well. Probably explains some of the speed difference.

Until Hart learns to catch a fly ball in a runner-advancing situation by backing up on it, moving up as he catches it, and getting some momentum on his throw, I'm fine with any and all defensive criticism dealt to him. I think he's a pathetic outfielder. And don't be arrogant enough to tell me my "perception is flawed", either...
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Your perception may not be flawed but your tact is.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I saw that too. That's hilarious! I agree with Gamel. Just leave him alone. Don't need to be taking pictures of him and his family without them looking. If you want a picture with him that bad then just go say hi and ask. Even though out in public at a restuarant, while he's with his family, isn't the time or place.

I saw that too. That's hilarious! I agree with Gamel. Just leave him alone. Don't need to be taking pictures of him and his family without them looking. If you want a picture with him that bad then just go say hi and ask. Even though out in public at a restuarant, while he's with his family, isn't the time or place.

Couldn't agree more. Even when I see a player or two on their own, I will usually just acknowledge them or say a quick sentence, but for the most part I assume they are like me and want to get on their way. Pretty quick thinking by Gamel there though, good for him.

Archived