Brewer Fanatic

Gamel's Injury (Torn ACL, needs surgery, likely done for year)

Last season we were remarkably lucky with injuries. I guess it was to much to ask for that again this season.

We really were not lucky last year, people keep saying this but it really wasn't true. The team had one of the top 3 cleanest rosters by team health reports going into the season and they had injuries to multiple key players. Last year was about what you expect from a roster like that. They added a lot more risk this year with Gamel never having a full season in the majors and Aramis and Alex not being the most healthy of individuals.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russell Branyan isn't healthy right now, so a return of the Muscle isn't even possible. :(

Any extended playing time for Ishikawa/Conrad is just bad news. Hopefully the recovery timetable isn't too dramatic.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Any extended playing time for Ishikawa/Conrad is just bad news. Hopefully the recovery timetable isn't too dramatic.

Even if Gamel is out for a long time (looking likely, unfortunately), the very simple move is to put Hart at 1B and utilize the insane OF depth that this team has. The advantage at the plate with Hart over Ish outweighs the advantage in the field with Ish over Hart imo. Not to mention that either Aoki or Morgan will likely be a net defensive upgrade in RF over Hart as well.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

How much experience does Hart have at 1B?

Hart was drafted as a 1B, but was moved off first because Fielder was ahead of him. He moved to 3B and couldn't play there, so he ended up in the OF. I know last year he said he didn't want to play 1B, but this spring he seemed much more open to the idea, and was getting some reps there prior to his injury. There would be a learning curve, but I'd think he'd do okay there. If this injury is going to keep Gamel out for a long time, then moving Hart to first seems to be the best plan, as Aoki is better than Ishikawa/Conrad.

However, if I had to bet, I'd say we'll see an Ishikawa / Conrad platoon, and Melvin will start burning up the phone lines to trade whatever prospect he has to get a stopgap solution at 1B for our all in year.

As I think about it, this may be a good time to see if there are any suitors for Morgan. He could probably net a 1B if there's a team that matches up, and then we could keep Hart in RF with Aoki/Gomez in CF. If we could find a decent match, I'd like that more than Morgan/Gomez in CF, Aoki in RF and Hart at 1B.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

My bet is on Conrad with some sort of a 3 man platoon with Hart, Conrad, and Ishikawa with Aoki getting quite a bit more time in the OF when Hart is at 1B. Not the ideal situation; really wish we had a legitimate 1B prospect to go to. Hunter Morris is the closest thing and he really isn't ready.

I'm rooting for the Hart to 1B, Aoki to RF plan, but I saw last night McCalvy tweeted to someone his suspicion is they'd give Ishikawa the chance to play first.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

From Haudricourt;

Hart said he'll start working out more at first base in anticipation of getting some action there in the near future, another indication that Gamel won't return soon.

"It sucks for (Gamel)," said Hart. "We all kind of figured he was going on the DL. He finally had a chance to play. He's a tough kid. If it wasn't bad, he wouldn't be in that (immobilizer)."

In a brief chat with reporters, Gamel didn't say he was headed for surgery. Instead, he said that news would have to come from manager Ron Roenicke or another club official.

But it was obvious that Gamel has a severe injury.

"I'm going to go to Milwaukee to see what's going on," said Gamel.

Best of luck on the recovery Mat. Time to bring in Hart at 1st. Aoki in RF and leadoff.

Aoki, Weeks, Braun, Ramirez, Hart, Gonzalez, Lucroy, Morgan/Gomez, P.

Frankly, I am pretty pissed off that RR hasn't already put Weeks in the 2 hole by now. What is he waiting for?

I'm on board with this plan. Sucks for Gamel that he got hurt, and he'll be missed a lot. But this is definitely the best plan in my opinion. Won't replace Gamel, but it's a lot better than Ishikawa playing a lot.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Hurts to lose him and set back his career further. I don't get the venom for the trainers. He tore his knew or twisted playing the game said he was OK and gave it few minutes of trying to shake it off, the damage was done. Trainers aren't going to start bringing out the cart and not allowing a player who says he is OK to put a speck of weight on his leg or walk off the field.

Some of the same posters complain about RR sitting Gamel for a game after he said his shoulder was still bothering him, now complain the team didn't med flight him out as soon as he hurt it but said he was fine.

Also from TH's blog entry...

Travis Ishikawa, who will take over for Gamel at first base for the most part, and Corey Hart, who also could see action there, both indicated that Gamel will need surgery to repair his knee. We haven't heard if it's cartilage or a ligament tear.

"Hopefully, the surgery goes well," said Ishikawa. "I've been praying for him since it happened that it would be as good a news as possible. Obviously, it wasn't. I'll continue to pray for him that his recovery is 100% and speedy. I don't know if it's the whole season or what not. (A long-term absence) is the way he made it sound."

Hurts to lose him and set back his career further. I don't get the venom for the trainers. He tore his knew or twisted playing the game said he was OK and gave it few minutes of trying to shake it off, the damage was done. Trainers aren't going to start bringing out the cart and not allowing a player who says he is OK to put a speck of weight on his leg or walk off the field.

Some of the same posters complain about RR sitting Gamel for a game after he said his shoulder was still bothering him, now complain the team didn't med flight him out as soon as he hurt it but said he was fine.

Totally agree. The injury came from his knee buckling, not from him standing up to see how it felt. Just like MJLiverock said above, the damage had already been done, unfortunately.

Best of luck to Mat for a speedy and steady recovery.

But it's the trainer's job to do what's best for the player, not what the player wants to do. Any pro athletic trainer is around athletes enough to know that an athlete saying "I'm ok" can mean next to nothing about whether or not he's actually ok.

The image I can't shake from last night's game is of Gamel jogging to the dugout after the end of the 1st inning on a severely injured knee (or an injured knee that jogging to the dugout turned into a severely injured knee). With just one more day to review his situation, Gamel's knee has been put in an immobilizing brace -- and the team didn't exercise enough caution last night to just help him off the field immediately after the injury?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I realize he's just about to hit the DL, but Boston might be willing to move Youkilis for a minimal return. Will Middlebrooks just got called up today and he's pegged as a stud within that organization, if he hits it's unlikely he goes back to Pawtucket. Youks, once healthy, would be more likely to last the season and be productive at 1st versus 3rd since it is less stressful on a body.

at this point does it hurt to bring in Derek Lee. Even if for a tryout at Nashville for a few days. I was against it this winter because it would take away at bats from Mat, but we are past that point now.

Still would much rather see Green & Ramirez getting the vast majority of corner IF ABs. Conrad, Ishikawa, Derrek Lee? I hope not.

Then again, plenty of time left in the season to find the best mix (& get Green into the everyday lineup).

Archived