Brewer Fanatic

2012-05-02 Brewers (Gallardo) at Padres (Suppan), 5:35 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-0]

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]May 02 | 5:35 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (11-13) | Padres (8-17)[/h2][h3]FSN HD | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/logos/padres.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/pitchers/brewers/gallardo-06.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2012/pitchers/padres/suppan-01.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][h2]1-2, 6.08 ERA, 1.65 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Padres | Game Log[/h3][h3]Gallardo struggled against the Cardinals, allowing eight earned runs on eight hits in two innings. The Brewers ace was coming of a three-start stretch in which he allowed four earned runs over 21 innings.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][h2]0-0, -.-- ERA, -.-- WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Suppan will make his first Major League start since Oct. 4, 2010, when he gets the start against one of his former teams, the Brewers. Suppan, 37, missed most of Spring Training with a triceps injury. He's made two starts for Triple-A Tucson.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. 2B Rickie Weeks
  2. CF Carlos Gomez
  3. LF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramirez
  5. RF Corey Hart
  6. C Jonathan Lucroy
  7. SS Alex Gonzalez
  8. 1B Travis Ishikawa
  9. RHP Yovani Gallardo

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. RF Will Venable
  2. LF Mark Kotsay
  3. 3B Chase Headley
  4. 1B Yonder Alonso
  5. 2B Orlando Hudson
  6. CF Cameron Maybin
  7. C John Baker
  8. SS Andy Parrino
  9. RHP Jeff Suppan

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We better beat the crap out of Suppan. Anything less is unacceptable.

Suppan has a ZiPS projected ERA of 5.4. I guy like that is going to have a decent amount of good starts, even against decent offenses. That's just the reality of the game of baseball.

You are free to define what level of performance is personally acceptable to you, of course. If your expectation, however, is for the Brewers to ALWAYS destroy mediocre/bad starting pitchers, that's simply unrealistic. Those kind of unrealistic expectations are what drives some Brewer fans to propagate the myth that the Brewers always struggle against soft tossers/bad starting pitchers.

Mark Kotsay is part of the Padres' starting outfield today. My nightmare remains plausible (for those of you who didn't catch it in Tuesday's IGT):

- a complete and perfect game for Suppan

- with the final Brewers' out made on a Yount-esque diving catch by, say it with me, Kotsay in CF LF (I suppose he could be shading toward CF)

- and a 1-0 win on a balkoff with Kotsay batting and Suppan on 3B. Or Suppan batting and Kotsay on 3B - that detail is interchangeable.

I'd like to think that prepares me for the worst. :indifferent

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
Yikes, what kind of reoccurring nightmare is this? You have to give the guy credit for sticking with it. At least this time we're not paying him to pitch against us. Also nice to have a game start at a reasonable hour for a change.

Long time reader and my first post will be a good one. Just found out Suppan lives in my apartment complex. Half of the padres AAA team in fact. I'm debating hanging wanted signs with the writing "wanted, 42 million dollars" on them. A bad outing against him today might warrant other things but hopefully I can control myself.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Suppan has a ZiPS projected ERA of 5.4. I guy like that is going to have a decent amount of good starts, even against decent offenses. That's just the reality of the game of baseball.

You are free to define what level of performance is personally acceptable to you, of course. If your expectation, however, is for the Brewers to ALWAYS destroy mediocre/bad starting pitchers, that's simply unrealistic. Those kind of unrealistic expectations are what drives some Brewer fans to propagate the myth that the Brewers always struggle against soft tossers/bad starting pitchers.

I see where you are going with this but we are talking about a washed up Suppan who posted a 4.78 ERA in AAA last year and a 12.14 ERA so far in AAA this year. As EatMeat said anything less than dominating Suppan will be unacceptable.

Verified Member
Long time reader and my first post will be a good one. Just found out Suppan lives in my apartment complex. Half of the padres AAA team in fact. I'm debating hanging wanted signs with the writing "wanted, 42 million dollars" on them. A bad outing against him today might warrant other things but hopefully I can control myself.

I wouldn't do anything mean. He's a good guy. Hell, you should try to befriend him and get some free meals at his restaurant.

He may even throw in a personal training session.

I see where you are going with this but we are talking about a washed up Suppan who posted a 4.78 ERA in AAA last year and a 12.14 ERA so far in AAA this year. As EatMeat said anything less than dominating Suppan will be unacceptable.

That projection takes into account his AAA performance last year. He's basically a replacement level/AAAA pitcher at this point. In a 6 IP start, he's projected to give up an average of 3.6 runs. That means he will give up 3 runs or less more often than he does 4 or more (you can give up 7+ runs but not negative runs).

Even if you think Suppan is really a 6 ERA pitcher, he's still going to have some half way reasonable starts. Assuming Suppan should be expected to get lit up every time he pitches is just not how the game of baseball works. I don't understand why baseball fans have such a hard time accepting that.

I know how the game of baseball works and I understand the game. It still doesn't change the fact they should get to Suppan early and often and it is unacceptable if they do not. If we consider them to be a team to contend for the Central then they must beat the teams they should beat and light up bad pitching. Anything less is unacceptable.

I know how the game of baseball works and I understand the game. It still doesn't change the fact they should get to Suppan early and often and it is unacceptable if they do not. If we consider them to be a team to contend for the Central then they must beat the teams they should beat and light up bad pitching. Anything less is unacceptable.

Like I said before, people can decide what they consider acceptable or not. I'm just giving you the reality of the situation.

This Pads lineup is a Yuni B away from paradise.

Please quit confusing my delusion and irrational fan-ness with rational, well reasoned thoughts. Nothing less than 4 HRs, including an inside the park homer following an awkward Kotsay dive in LF will begin to wipe away the stench of last night's loss...or game 4 against the Phillies. (Nothing personal to Soup or Kotsay, this is just business). Only then will I be able to cancel my shrink appointment for tomorrow.

Archived