Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks so far this season

I have no dog in this fight. In fact, Weeks has been one of my favorite players. Plays hard, keeps his moth shut, and just plays ball. With that said, none of knows if he will bounce back to his pre-2012 form. I really hope he does, but time will tell.

I don't want to trade him for nothing, just for slary relief. I have more faith in him than that. But if he's part of a mega-deal in the off-season that makes the team better, I'm fine with that.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$50. O/U is exactly .200. I take the under, you take the over. According the zips I'm a slight dog, but that's fine since it would be for a good cause. Winner picks the charity of their choice.

How about 400+ official AB's for the wager to take effect? He's at 194 right now. As you said, he's at a risk to lose playing time playing this poorly plus the risk he gets injured is pretty high given his history.

How about 450+ official AB's? He can lose a bunch of starts and still reach that. If I win, you can send the $50 here:

http://www.alz.org/

Feeling pretty good about this bet right now. :)

Weeks has been terrible he needs to be benched sent to AAA.

FTFY.

Since June 14th: .280/.365/.507/.871

This is why GM's can't afford to over react with proven talent. It was a distinct possibility that Weeks could have continued to struggle for the rest of the year. The odds said that it wasn't going to happen, though. The reality is, more often than not, players bounce back. Even his overall line is starting to look reasonable:

Current Line: .212/.330/.377/.708

He's going to still have a down year but a strong finish bodes well for 2013.

This is why GM's can't afford to over react with proven talent. It was a distinct possibility that Weeks could have continued to struggle for the rest of the year. The odds said that it wasn't going to happen, though. The reality is, more often than not, players bounce back. Even his overall line is starting to look reasonable:

So true. I'd argue it's why GM's shouldn't overreact to any player they think has the ability to be an every day player proven or not. Some players just go through longer dry spells. Weeks is one of those guys. Another guy who seems to fit that profile is Cliff Lee.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

He's going to still have a down year but a strong finish bodes well for 1013.

I still think the Byzantines will be the favorite in 1013.

While I was fixing that, I KNEW it wouldn't be in time to avoid being quoted. ;)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

As poorly as Weeks has started this year, only Kottaras, Braun, Lucroy, Ramirez, Aoki and Maldonado have higher OBPs. It will take some work, but a 750 OPS for the season is still possible.

And better still, I found my signature... thanks Russ and chuckiehacks. :)

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

.272/.380/.533/.912 in July. Not too much to complain about there.

except where he has been batting in the order.

Yep, it's a joke that he's not in the 2 hole. Sadly, I don't see him moving up either because I'm sure RRR is in love with Gomez in that spot right now.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Gomez since July 1st

.274/.333/.548/.881

Gomez probably should get more at bats going forward because we need to see if he can handle everyday next year. Hitting him 2nd right now is not a big deal.

You are right. We are not trying to win so batting Gomez #2 isn't bad. There really is no reason to bat him #2 though.

Also, the gap between those 2 OPS's is huge. Weeks OBP heavy OPS is much more valuable than the SLG heavy OPS.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

:laughing That is sig worthy.

I like Gomez batting second right now. He's the most gifted athlete we have on the team, and Go Go is always going at 120%. He's the type of catalyst we need in front of Brauny.

And I am pleased to see that Rickie Weeks is back to being Rickie Weeks. The end-of-the-year numbers won't be on par with last year, but getting his confidence back for next season is far more important than anything he can do from a statistical standpoint.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Gomez may become an acceptable OBP player, but never a good one. He should not be #2. His power speed combo makes a lot more sense at #6 or 7 where he can drive guys in with his moderate power, or get on and steal a base to try and snag a run in front of the pitcher. Similarly despite years of going on about his power, Rickie doesn't hit for enough SLG to be a good fit for #5 or 6. He is however always count working and getting on base, so if you want to get a little more out of his power bat him second after Aoki. Or the simplest way to look at it more ABs for Braun = good plan.

I like Gomez batting second right now. He's the most gifted athlete we have on the team, and Go Go is always going at 120%. He's the type of catalyst we need in front of Brauny.

If Micheal Phelps were on the team, he'd be the most gifted athlete on the team. That doesn't mean that I would want him batting in front of Braun. I want guys getting on base in front of Braun. Everything else is secondary. Gomez is an excellent base runner but he also runs into some foolish outs on occasion.

And I am pleased to see that Rickie Weeks is back to being Rickie Weeks. The end-of-the-year numbers won't be on par with last year, but getting his confidence back for next season is far more important than anything he can do from a statistical standpoint.

Based on interviews this year, I never really got the impression that Weeks lost his confidence. Frustrated at times? Sure. But he might be the most even keeled guy on the team. It just seems like the average professional athlete has unshakable confidence, to the point of delusion (which annoys fans from time to time). It's simply a defensive measure that protects them from the ups and downs of a typical season. Guys like Jeff Cirillo were/are hard on themselves about their poor play. I believe that probably isn't a good thing.

So true. I'd argue it's why GM's shouldn't overreact to any player they think has the ability to be an every day player proven or not. Some players just go through longer dry spells. Weeks is one of those guys. Another guy who seems to fit that profile is Cliff Lee.

And Casey Macgayheehaw....... Silly Doug he should have just rode Casey through last years post season, never traded him and not signed Aram......

Casey never had the long track record of success that Rickie Weeks has had. Weeks has been a consistent top level 2B for 5-6 years, outside of the injuries. He deserves plenty of rope.

McGehee didn't have the track record. DM didn't ride him through the post season, he switched to Hairston after Weeks came back.

Casey never had the long track record of success that Rickie Weeks has had. Weeks has been a consistent top level 2B for 5-6 years, outside of the injuries. He deserves plenty of rope.

McGehee didn't have the track record. DM didn't ride him through the post season, he switched to Hairston after Weeks came back.

Weeks consistent? He's on pace to hit under .240 for the 4th time in 8 seasons as a starter. Yes BA is an old school stat, and he does get on base at a decent clip, but I wouldn't call him consistently "top level". He gets plenty of rope because at least $21 million owed him in the next 2 season. With 2015 dependent on him getting 1,200 total plate appearances in 13 and 14, it will be interesting to see if he gets benched more often if he goes into another prolonged slump next year.

He's had a nice run lately and we see what effect him hitting does to the lineup. Then again, what pressure was left on this team disappeared after they got swept in Cincinnati. So it's definitely "grain of salt" time.

If Roenicke moves Weeks back up it will be to the leadoff spot, not #2 - that's Aoki's ideal spot. But, as long as Gomez keeps playing well, it doesn't matter much to me. I don't mind having Weeks consistently getting ABs with runners on base in the meantime. It really doesn't bother me who gets the RBIs, as long as someone's doing it.

:laughing That is sig worthy.

It took over 15 years, but I finally have an answer to "why would you want a history minor?" - to insprire message board signatures.

If Roenicke moves Weeks back up it will be to the leadoff spot, not #2 - that's Aoki's ideal spot. But, as long as Gomez keeps playing well, it doesn't matter much to me. I don't mind having Weeks consistently getting ABs with runners on base in the meantime. It really doesn't bother me who gets the RBIs, as long as someone's doing it.

I disagree. Weeks and Aoki have similar OBP skills but Weeks has far more power. That can get wasted to some extent hitting leadoff.

Archived