Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks so far this season

Weeks has been terrible he needs to be benched sent to AAA.

FTFY.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just off the top of my head, Dan Uggla, Adam Dunn, & Nick Swisher are all good but not elite hitters who've had disastrous down seasons or half-seasons. Each of them proved he hadn't forgotten how to hit, and I think Weeks will do the same.

Dunn & Uggla were each in the first seasons of big new contracts and under pressure to be 'the guy', and I wonder if Rickie's been putting too much pressure on himself to be that 30+ HR threat the Brewers lost in Prince.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just off the top of my head, Dan Uggla, Adam Dunn, & Nick Swisher are all good but not elite hitters who've had disastrous down seasons or half-seasons. Each of them proved he hadn't forgotten how to hit, and I think Weeks will do the same.

Dunn & Uggla were each in the first seasons of big new contracts and under pressure to be 'the guy', and I wonder if Rickie's been putting too much pressure on himself to be that 30+ HR threat the Brewers lost in Prince.

TooLiveBrew, this is a nice point.

Uggla hit .185 before the all star break. He .296 after the break. Rickie has a history of production. He's not at an age where he should be declining so quickly. History says he should turn it around. The question is when. Dunn's struggles last all year. Uggla was able to come back after the break and really dial it up. Let's hope Rickie can do the same.

I can't see much of a turnaround this year. I think he does get to about .210 by year's end but something just ain't right with him. I noticed last night that he was wearing some kind of protective hand cast while he was on base. And I have read that he has been dealing with a wrist/hand problem all year.

He has been brutal this year. Yesterday, I almost threw my remote through our TV after that game-ending play.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

The only thing I worry about in regard to Rickie just falling off a cliff is his history of wrist issues/surgeries. Hopefully that's not the case, but I could imagine that could be a reason for his terrible year.

He's worn that baserunning wrist brace or whatever you want to call it for a while now, unless this was something different Dnye.

Yep, I believe he's been wearing that for quite awhile, just to protect his wrists on head-first slides.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

For the life of me I just can not understand why anyone would be advocating replacing Rickie. The guy has had an OPS over 800 4 of the last 5 years. He's an incredible gamer and a leader on the team. He's fought through tough injuries and frankly his replacements are nothing special. Not saying a Green or Gennett aren't MLBers, but they don't project to where Rickie has proven he can play for the last 5 years.

Does he look horrible right now...of course. He's putting up a horrendous year. The team is already 5 ft deep, their only chance is to right their pitching and get some guys hot like Hart, ARam and Rickie...guys that have done it before. Why cap your upside unless you are throwing in the towel in June?

I hate to say it, but weeks is cooked. Have been able to watch up close the last few days. Done. He's a a major net negative, and we'll be talking buyout this time next yr.

I will give anyone 2 to 1 odds up to $150 that he'll not ops over his career .775 this yr or next yr. Min of 300 ab's.

Random question for fans here based on what we've seen/known from Weeks this year and career-wise.

If you could be rid of the Weeks' contract right now (about $38M over the next 3 1/2 years), in exchange for nothing (basically, a waiver drop and someone else picks him up), would you do it? Nothing in return, but we don't owe him another dime. Would you go for it?

semi-interesting to note that his brother, Jemile, is struggling almost as badly with Oakland this year. Maybe there's a "family" issue that we're all unaware of.

Okay, I'm really reaching . . . .

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Random question for fans here based on what we've seen/known from Weeks this year and career-wise.

If you could be rid of the Weeks' contract right now (about $38M over the next 3 1/2 years), in exchange for nothing (basically, a waiver drop and someone else picks him up), would you do it? Nothing in return, but we don't owe him another dime. Would you go for it?

Not yet. I'm willing to give him the rest of the year to figure things out, and probably part of next year as well. I honestly will be shocked if he's 'done'. I have racked my brain, and I can't think of one similar hitter that went from a season like last year to a .160 hitter for seemingly no reason. It's not like he's 38 years old, or some 24 year old who overachieved one season. He's 30 years old, with a track record of several years with relative success.

Dan Uggla last year through 59 games

.174/.243/.317/.559

Rickie Weeks this year through 59 games

.164/.302/.286/.589

Dan Uggla the rest of the year

.267/.349/.531/.880

Obviously Dan Uggla is a better hitter then Weeks but Rickie Weeks is still getting on base despite his dreadful hitting. We are 7 1/2 games back. Playing anyone else but Weeks would be foolish IMO.

Dan Uggla last year through 59 games

.174/.243/.317/.559

Rickie Weeks this year through 59 games

.164/.302/.286/.589

Dan Uggla the rest of the year

.267/.349/.531/.880

Obviously Dan Uggla is a better hitter then Weeks but Rickie Weeks is still getting on base despite his dreadful hitting. We are 7 1/2 games back. Playing anyone else but Weeks would be foolish IMO.

Exactly. Who would we even throw out there? Green? Conrad? They really wouldn't provide any improvement. Green can't draw a walk to save his life. He has a .289 OBP currently. And Conrad, well he's hitting .077.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It makes me feel better that at least there is a recent precedent with Uggla. I can't fathom that a player as physically talented as Weeks just suddenly dropped off a cliff and just became this horrible player at age 29.

Loved Weeks' interview after he had the game winning hit today. If he's felt stress to break out of his slump, he certainly isn't showing it. He's still not showing his normal power but he's been pretty productive for the Brewers over the last month.

.186 BA... 14 more points to go! ;)

Archived