Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks so far this season

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RRR needs to bench him for a series and just let him rest, clear his mind, whatever.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Lol. 1-15 since this post and 0 for his last 14. At this point, he's gotta be a huge dog to finish up at .200.

How much of a dog? 3:1? 2:1? How much do you want to bet? We can donate the proceeds to charity.

Sounds like fun, no? :)

I think that it'd be plus money (underdog type odds) for Weeks to end up under .200. One good thing about having such a low batting average is that it doesn't take much to raise it. A four for five or something like that would probably raise it almost 20 points. Barring injury or extended benching, if he can hit over .220 the rest of the way, he should be able to get the average over .200.

that's true when you consider his career numbers, but I think if he continues to take the same approach he's had all year he'll hit under .200 from here on out. I think there's a decent chance he's cooked given his numerous injuries plus the fact he's no spring chicken anymore. Much stranger things have happened.

Get this....in 48% (K's + IFFB's) of his ab's, he's virtually had no chance of getting a hit. That has got to be the highest percentage in the league.

A four for five or something like that would probably raise it almost 20 points. Barring injury or extended benching, if he can hit over .220 the rest of the way, he should be able to get the average over .200.

By my calculation, you're pretty close.

He's currently 31 for 194, a hair under .160. A four for five day would raise his average about 16 points, to roughly .176.

Brewers have 105 games left. If we assume Weeks starts 95 of them and hits .220, that would be about 350 more ABs with 77 hits in that span. His season average would then be 108 of 544, or about .199.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

"A four for five day would raise his average about 16 points, to roughly .176"

And if I go out tomorrow and make 15-16 pars instead of my usual 2 or 3, I'll break 80.

He hasn't had a 3 hit game all year, and just one 2 hit game since April 17th. I'd say a 4 for 5 is not very likely.

The sad part is Detroit is dying for help at 2b and if Weeks was doing anything, the Brewers would have the opportunity to unload his contract by reuniting him with Fielder. But it's a tough sell at .160.

It's too bad Weeks has never been able to become the elite player many thought he had the potential to be. He's having a truly awful season. Hopefully he rights himself before next year or he's a big time albatross contract around this team's neck.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well, he's not probably a huge dog haha, but I'd be glad to make a 50 dollar wager given a certain amount of AB's to make it fair. What do you propose, rluz?

Well, it's a lot less fun if I don't get the odds associated with your "huge dog" statement ;) Tell me what odds you are willing to give me.

Here's what ZiPS Projections says:

Current: .160 BA, 232 PA

Projected, Rest-of-Season: .236 BA, 354 PA

Total, 2012: .206 BA, 586 PA

The biggest question is probably whether Weeks will start losing a little playing time if he struggles into August.

$50. O/U is exactly .200. I take the under, you take the over. According the zips I'm a slight dog, but that's fine since it would be for a good cause. Winner picks the charity of their choice.

How about 400+ official AB's for the wager to take effect? He's at 194 right now. As you said, he's at a risk to lose playing time playing this poorly plus the risk he gets injured is pretty high given his history.

that's true when you consider his career numbers, but I think if he continues to take the same approach he's had all year he'll hit under .200 from here on out. I think there's a decent chance he's cooked given his numerous injuries plus the fact he's no spring chicken anymore. Much stranger things have happened.

Get this....in 48% (K's + IFFB's) of his ab's, he's virtually had no chance of getting a hit. That has got to be the highest percentage in the league.

IFFB% is calculated as a percentage of fly balls, not plate appearances (i.e. IFFB/FB, not IFFB/PA). If you do the math, Weeks hits an infield fly in about 6.5% of his PAs, meaning that 36-37% of the time he has no chance of getting a hit. That is still not good, and very likely one of the worst marks in the league (would have to be behind Adam Dunn, who has a K% of 37%) so your point is still taken (Weeks has been awful). But just a heads up that you're not using the IFFB% stat correctly

I remember you saying that but the article on fangraphs seems to indicate otherwise....

Weeks’ batting struggles can also be attributed to a terrible infield fly ball rate. Weeks has hit an infield fly ball in 20.6% of his plate appearances.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/whats-wrong-with-rickie-weeks/

And if I go out tomorrow and make 15-16 pars instead of my usual 2 or 3, I'll break 80.

He hasn't had a 3 hit game all year, and just one 2 hit game since April 17th. I'd say a 4 for 5 is not very likely.

The sad part is Detroit is dying for help at 2b and if Weeks was doing anything, the Brewers would have the opportunity to unload his contract by reuniting him with Fielder. But it's a tough sell at .160.

I saw Chad Moeller hit for the cycle, so anything is possible.

At any rate, I think that Weeks has to get it together- at least to some extent. He's 29 years old off two good seasons. In baseball history, I know that there have been some pitchers who have 'lost it' overnight like Steve Blass, Ankiel, etc., but I'm hard pressed to think of one position player who has done this at such a young age with so much success under their belts. The best recent example that I can come up with would be Carlos Baerga, who seemed to fall off the edge of the earth, but looking at the stats, that was more of a gradual decline.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
RRR needs to bench him for a series and just let him rest, clear his mind, whatever.

Totally agree on this. RRR has tried letting him play out of the slump. That's not working. He looks lost at the plate just as bad as he did a month ago. Give him a few days off. Tell him not to worry about baseball. Just relax.

If the team is going to win this year, we need him to rebound. Flailing around at the plate isn't helping anyone right now. Give him a few days off. At this point, it can't hurt anyone.

Yeah I agree, reilly. Rickie needs to start seeing the bench more. And yes, I'm aware he needs to play to work his way through his swing issues, but it's to the point now where it's gotten ridiculous. Add in that he's been an injury risk over the course of his career, and more days off going forward just makes sense.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When Hart's in RF, our current IF OPS is 1B Green (.707), 2B Weeks (.582), 3B Ransom (.561) or Conrad (.400), SS Maysonet (.529), C Maldonado (.558).

Has any starting infield ever been worse than that? To make things worse, only Maldonado is really known for being good defensively.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I saw Chad Moeller hit for the cycle, so anything is possible.

At any rate, I think that Weeks has to get it together- at least to some extent. He's 29 years old off two good seasons. In baseball history, I know that there have been some pitchers who have 'lost it' overnight like Steve Blass, Ankiel, etc., but I'm hard pressed to think of one position player who has done this at such a young age with so much success under their belts. The best recent example that I can come up with would be Carlos Baerga, who seemed to fall off the edge of the earth, but looking at the stats, that was more of a gradual decline.

As someone said previously, it reminds me of what JJ Hardy went through in 2009.

or bill hall

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

it reminds me of what JJ Hardy went through in 2009.

Does that mean it's going to take getting sent to the minors and traded twice before he'll remember how to hit?

Something's obviously wrong, and I don't know what it'll take to make it better. It's either a lingering injury the Brewers don't want other teams to know about, or it's a mental thing. If it's the latter, he could snap out of it tomorrow, or he could continue to flail away for a long time.

Whatever the cause, if he doesn't turn things around he'll be an albatross for the next few years. I have faith that he'll remember how to hit, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

$50. O/U is exactly .200. I take the under, you take the over. According the zips I'm a slight dog, but that's fine since it would be for a good cause. Winner picks the charity of their choice.

How about 400+ official AB's for the wager to take effect? He's at 194 right now. As you said, he's at a risk to lose playing time playing this poorly plus the risk he gets injured is pretty high given his history.

Like I said, I was more interested when you said it was a "huge dog". And of course, the lower the AB threshold, the the better chance he hits the under. Then again, the higher the AB total, the more likely he DID start hitting better.

Then again, presuming you don't pick the American Hair Band Association as your charity, it will be for a good cause. How about 450+ official AB's? He can lose a bunch of starts and still reach that. If I win, you can send the $50 here:

http://www.alz.org/

Let me know if you are in and what charity.

it reminds me of what JJ Hardy went through in 2009.

Does that mean it's going to take getting sent to the minors and traded twice before he'll remember how to hit?

Something's obviously wrong, and I don't know what it'll take to make it better. It's either a lingering injury the Brewers don't want other teams to know about, or it's a mental thing. If it's the latter, he could snap out of it tomorrow, or he could continue to flail away for a long time.

Whatever the cause, if he doesn't turn things around he'll be an albatross for the next few years. I have faith that he'll remember how to hit, I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

I've been wondering for a couple weeks now if an injury is involved. Rickie's been wearing a compression sleeve on his left forearm this season that I don't recall being part of his standard equipment (I could be wrong on that last part), and then there was the HBP on his left hand... I don't know, I realize it's entirely possible that he's just lost up there, but I really am having a hard time believing that this is 100% not due to an injury.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Like I said, I was more interested when you said it was a "huge dog". And of course, the lower the AB threshold, the the better chance he hits the under. Then again, the higher the AB total, the more likely he DID start hitting better.

Then again, presuming you don't pick the American Hair Band Association as your charity, it will be for a good cause. How about 450+ official AB's? He can lose a bunch of starts and still reach that. If I win, you can send the $50 here:

http://www.alz.org/

Let me know if you are in and what charity.

If you'd like, I'll risk $60 v. your $50 since I did go overboard with the hyperbole. 450 ab's is good with me.

http://www.alsa.org/donate/

Archived