Brewer Fanatic

Suppan called up, to face Brewers on Wednesday 5/2 (DFAd by SD 6/1)

As I pointed out in the in game thread, Suppan has a ZiPS projected ERA of 5.4. I guy like that is still going to have a decent amount of good starts, even against decent offenses. If the expectation is for the Brewers to ALWAYS destroy mediocre/bad starting pitchers, that's simply unrealistic. It's that unrealistic expectation that drives some Brewer fans to propagate the myth that the Brewers in general struggle against soft tossers/bad starting pitchers. I have seen no evidence to support the theory that the Brewers offense has under performed against below average pitchers over the last several years. If someone has some (non anecdotal) evidence, please share it here.

And no, "everyone knows it's true!", is not evidence.

I think 'stole' is a decent figurative term in this case. Soup took the cash, stunk up the joint and ran. At least Gagne admitted that he didn't earn his money. I don't blame Suppan for taking the money, but when you sign that deal you had better expect to take some heat if you don't perform. In my view, blame lies squarely with Attanasio. I don't remember hearing any other names linked to Suppan at the time other than the Brewers, St. Louis didn't even make an effort to keep him. For whatever reason, Attanasio was enamored with Suppan, and I'm convinced that he took the reigns of the whole deal.

I think 'stole' is a decent figurative term in this case. Soup took the cash, stunk up the joint and ran.

No. He signed a legally binding contract that guaranteed him the money he was paid. "Stole" is nowhere close to being a useful word here.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think 'stole' would only work if Jeff knew he had just peaked and accepted the Brewers' offer knowing he would underperform. Although much of his stint with the Brewers dismayed me, that's a stretch I'm not willing to make.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think 'stole' is a decent figurative term in this case. Soup took the cash, stunk up the joint and ran.

No. He signed a legally binding contract that guaranteed him the money he was paid. "Stole" is nowhere close to being a useful word here.

I disagree. No one's claiming that Suppan embezzled money from team coffers or anything. The term 'stole' doesn't always mean taking something by theft. Let's say Joe is moving to Florida in June, and he just wants to get rid of his nearly new snow blower purchased last winter. Because it's Spring, Jeff is the only interested party and he gets it for 100 bucks. It could be said that he 'stole' it by giving very little for what he got in return. A perfect analogy to Suppan's performance in Milwaukee if you ask me.

I really am not trying to defend Suppan or the Brewers by saying this, but if you look at the contracts given to pitchers that same off-season, they basically paid market rate for a pitcher of his caliber. Hopefully it's a mistake that's been learned from.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think 'stole' would only work if Jeff knew he had just peaked and accepted the Brewers' offer knowing he would underperform. Although much of his stint with the Brewers dismayed me, that's a stretch I'm not willing to make.

Based on what has happened since the Brewers released him, I'm still not fully convinced that he wasn't a Trojan Horse double agent unleashed on the Brewers organization by Tony LaRussa.

Based on what has happened since the Brewers released him, I'm still not fully convinced that he wasn't a Trojan Horse double agent unleashed on the Brewers organization by Tony LaRussa.

Why is that in blue? I think you very well may be on to something.

Can we use this thread to bring back the Official Vent Thread? We just were humiliated and shut out by the most overpaid Brewer in franchise history, a guy who has been terrible for the last 5 years, and someone who was getting throttled down on the farm by AAA hitters. It doesn't get any worse than that.

Hats off to Suppan. When I saw him signing minor league contracts with KC and SD my feeling was that this guy must really love the game of baseball to put himself through that after making over $50 million as a major leaguer. I doubt his success will continue but at least for tonight he can feel like he has proven something. He earned himself another start at least. And yes it also reflects very poorly on the current Brewer lineup, but anyone can have a bad day at Petco park.

Suppan pitched terrible. The number of 86 MPH fastballs middle middle and hanging curve balls was... About as many as ive ever seen in a MLB game. This failure was completely on the Brewers.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

It's one thing to get shut down by a guy with very substandard stuff- that's baseball, sometimes you hit a bunch of Atom balls. The thing that bothered me is that there were very few good at bats or hard hit balls. Several players took first pitch letter-high 86 MPH heat, only to weakly ground out later in the at bat.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6e7awt1hn1qza49co1_500.png

"Newman!"

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/OB-CJ843_melvin_D_20080923131425.jpg

"Suppan!"

• 4 weeks later...
Well, the Padres pulled the plug. Suppan has been DFA'd, and his MLB career is mercifully over. Not surprisingly he had his best game against the Brewers. So much for giving him a nice welcome back to Milwaukee next Saturday. I bet that he would have gotten a rousing ovation.

Archived