Brewer Fanatic

Suppan called up, to face Brewers on Wednesday 5/2 (DFAd by SD 6/1)

Jeff Suppan will be called up by the Padres to pitch Wednesday afternoon against the Brewers.

Cory Luebke is being skipped because of tightness in his left elbow. Suppan, 37, has posted a rough 12.15 ERA and 3.00 WHIP in 6 2/3 innings this season at Triple-A Tuscon and should be avoided like the plague in fantasy leagues.

Source: Corey Brock on Twitter

May 1 - 7:04 PM

via rotoworld

Adam McCalvy just cited Soup's "Brewers killer" stats. I thought about asking him for Jeff's "Brewer killer" stats from when he was a Brewer (rimshot). Welp, sdcheezhd has got to be pumped now.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Since he'll be throwing junk and topping out at around 85, he'll probably toss a shutout.

The sad thing is, this probably isn't too far off. Also, if the Brewers happen to win tonight there's no way they will win tomorrow since they have a hard time finishing off sweeps.

I thought this was an old thread from when he was picked up by the Cardinals. It appears that the Padres are really hard up... maybe they feel bad for the guy and are hoping that he takes the opportunity to finish his career on a MLB mound. Regardless of jinxes against soft tossers, etc., I don't see any scenario in which the Brewers don't rock him... they should be embarrassed if they don't.

Adam McCalvy just cited Soup's "Brewers killer" stats. I thought about asking him for Jeff's "Brewer killer" stats from when he was a Brewer (rimshot). Welp, sdcheezhd has got to be pumped now.

You bet. Although after a couple minutes I was thinking the losing to him would be the flip side of seeing Braun's night yesterday.

Verified Member
Aside from K-Rod sucking again, I can't get too mad about Kotsay last night. He had a few big, late inning hits for us last year and seemed like a good dude. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the guy.

noooo, i didn't yet recover from the game in which nelson figueroa (i remember a rainy day in NY...)dominated the brewers a couple of years ago, still thinking at that game my stomach aches...

if the brewers don't get a W out of Suppan i will have a mental breakdown!

i rather have satchel page on the mound for the padres over soup.

Gotta hand it to Suppan...the guy has made all the bank he'll ever need, yet he's still banging it out in the minors. Now he gets another shot in the bigs. He still stinks, but he's a decent enough guy and sure is resilient.

That said, we need to beat this guy into a pulp...Braun needs 4 Homers in the first inning.

Gotta hand it to Suppan...the guy has made all the bank he'll ever need, yet he's still banging it out in the minors. Now he gets another shot in the bigs. He still stinks, but he's a decent enough guy and sure is resilient.

That said, we need to beat this guy into a pulp...Braun needs 4 Homers in the first inning.

I personally thought he stole money from the Brewers. Playing a game for a living is something we'd all like to do so I don't see "banging it out in the minors" as a hardship of any kind. I'd play as long as somebody let me too.

You can't go in thinking 4 homers in the first inning. That plays into what skill Suppan still has and is probably why the Brewers haven't had that much success against him. Don't try hitting it a mile. Just make sure you get good wood and single him to death if you have too. Eventually, he'll start missing his spots and there will be balls to be driven.

Getting beat by Kotsay is no disgrace in my book. He also beat the Nats a few days ago with a two run PH double. I didn't mind Kotsay a bit here, he was a decent bat off the bench, and it looks like the Padres are using him as they should. It's not his fault that he was used as he was last year, and it's not like he was making a ton of money.

As for Suppan, basically to sum up.. Worst Brewer Ever. The guy was the ultimate Brewer killer, both before and while on the team. I hope that they knock him around so much that he is unconditionally released by the Padres (which is my guess what will happen, I doubt that they send him back to AAA).

Verified Member
You can't go in thinking 4 homers in the first inning. That plays into what skill Suppan still has and is probably why the Brewers haven't had that much success against him.

I agree. Just two homers at a time.

I have a problem with the word "stole". Suppan didn't force the Brewers into making that offer, in fact they wined & dined him to get him to accept. There were other likely bidders not far behind them. They made a deal based on the market rates at that time. Suppan by all accounts gave a full effort, but didn't live up to the value of the contract. Just because a business deal doesn't work doesn't mean he stole anything, which implies some type of malicious behavior or criminal intent. If you are looking to blame something, look to the structure of MLB or the Brewers themselves.

Archived