Brewer Fanatic

How much faith do you put in the WAR stat?

splitterpfj

Almost completely ignore it for pitchers. Look at wOBA then WAR for position players. While looking at WAR consider PA(since WAR is a counting stat) and look at just the defensive portion of WAR compared to other years to gauge how confident I would be that their defense is properly reflected in their WAR. I think it does a pretty good job of measuring a player's contribution in previous years but needs a lot of tweaking if you are trying to guess at WAR for consequent years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I take it into account but occasionally take it with a grain of salt.

An example: those of us who think Cal Ripken Jr is overrated (in the context of All-Time greats) will not be as enamored of WAR. Just because there were not a lot of SS's in Ripken's time who hit for power (thus raising his WAR scores) does that mean that Ripken Jr was better than say, Barry Larkin? I don't think so.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Just because there were not a lot of SS's in Ripken's time who hit for power (thus raising his WAR scores) does that mean that Ripken Jr was better than say, Barry Larkin? I don't think so.

That's an interesting question, because the answer could just as easily be "yes". Context is incredibly important in terms of defining player value (WAR or otherwise).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I use WAR, but I also really like WAA (wins above average -- basically WAR-2.0*number_of_seasons_played)

It helps to determine if a guy was truly great, as opposed to someone who played for years and years.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think WAR is a useful comparison tool but not the definitive answer to anything. I like it much better than many of the derived statistics, especially on the pitching side.

I don't there are very many useful all encompassing metrics when it comes to pitching at this point in time because there isn't a good way to incorporate the nuances of successful pitching into a true "this is how well this pitcher actually pitched" metric. You can't really remove defense from the equation if you can't adequately qualify it on a yearly basis, and no one has done so to this point. Zone systems are better than nothing, but linear systems would work better though require more input/exactness to make work. For pitchers I'm more into comparing the actual result against certain rate stats to form an opinion.

Generally speaking I like baseball-ref's version of WAR for pitching and fangraphs more for position players, but it's all about personal preference. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer as to which is better.

I do like using WAR for discussing theories and concepts though, such as trading as established/productive MLB player and yet becoming better team. Many people tend to get caught up 1 for 1 player comparisons when it's not that simple so WAR calculations can be very useful when trying to hash out more thought provoking concepts.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 2 months later...

If you are talking about a starting pitcher with a long career, I wouldn't weigh fielding independent stats very much. I wouldn't use a version of WAR that uses FIP as a result. Really, ERA becomes pretty darn good (adjusted for park) over a long career, unless the pitcher had a consistently good for bad defense behind him.

For evaluating a hitter's career, I would be happy to use WAR.

Archived