Brewer Fanatic

Nats Recall Bryce Harper

jjkoestler

I don't know where to get them now that minorleaguesplits are no more.. That is just what I remember because I was the one commenting on the low walk rate while everyone else was freaking over his OPS being so high, heh.

As for different philosophies that is fair enough but in the 30 years I've watched baseball it is pretty rare that I've seen pushing prospects end up being a good thing. David Price is not an example at all as he was a college pitcher who didn't pitch in the majors until age 22 and threw all of 14 innings that year in the regular season. That is a far cry from pushing a 19 year old onto your team in April. Price had already put in 300+ innings of professional level pitching before he even reached the minors and they kept him there for another 140 IP before moving him up and only after he had spent two quality stints at AAA and only late in the season when it wasn't likely to effect his service time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Robin Yount was pushed. Albert Pujols was pushed. Ken Griffey, Jr was pushed. Alex Rodriguez was pushed. Elite talent should probably be judged differently than "Top 100" talent, which should probably be judged differently than "everyday talent." The Brewers seem to like to make sure players get a full season at every level, but there are plenty of Hall of Famers who made it to the big leagues early.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ryan Braun played less than 2 seasons in the minors. (47 games of Rookie Ball in 2005, a full Minor League season in 2006, and just 34 games in AAA in 2007 before being called up.)

I don't think the Brewers are adverse, as an organization, to bringing up a phenom quickly

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Ryan Braun played less than 2 seasons in the minors. (47 games of Rookie Ball in 2005, a full Minor League season in 2006, and just 34 games in AAA in 2007 before being called up.)

I don't think the Brewers are adverse, as an organization, to bringing up a phenom quickly

True, and like Harper, Braun was called up because they wanted to "win now" after seasons of losing, and the third base platoon (wasn't it Counsell/Graffanino?) wasn't producing. It was no surprise that Braun was able to outproduce that powerhouse duo, and it won't be a surprise if Harper outproduces the other candidates for the job in Washington.

The Brewers have been less accepting of rookies since the Braun call-up, but I think the Brewers are going to be forced to change their strategy in the near future, at least as far as the pitching goes. With Narveson potentially gone, we will probably not only have to exercise Wolf's option and bring up Peralta, but also start whichever of Thornberg, Fiers, Nelson, Jungman, Bradley seem most ready. That is, unless we extend someone, trade for someone else or Melvin once again goes shopping in the Free Agent Starting Pitcher bargain bin.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

But again a college hitter is not pushed after a full season in the minors. He was 24 years old with 200 games in the minors plus college ball, that is not pushed.

Griffey, Yount, ARod etc are great examples but the financials were very different at that point and ARod and Griffey killed the minors in the little bit they spent in them. ARod killed them for 174 games, Griffey for 130 games. Yount is probably the best example but I'm not sure bringing up Yount when they did was actually a good idea as it took him 7 years to mature into a good hitter in the majors.

but the financials were very different at that point

I think this is a sad thing about the current financial situation in baseball. There will be less "legendary" careers, as it'll be a lot harder for pitchers to get 300 wins or hitters to get 3,000 hits when teams are keeping players in the minors longer because of service time concerns and teams trying to maximize their value by keeping their prospects in the minors so they get them for more of their prime years.

~Bill Walsh

Archived