Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 4/24 -- Hiram Burgos: So Close to No-Hit Glory

Mass Haas

Omaha (Royals) 5 Nashville 3

Box Score

Caleb Gindl's shot was opposite field, always a good indicator of a respectable power ceiling of a hitter. Hainley (pronounced "Hine Lee") Statia had two hits. Eric Farris, in LF again, went 1-3 with a 2B. The Storm Chaser opposing starter, Mike Montgomery, has a decent pedigree but has struggled a bit since his prospect pinnacle in early 2010.

The pitchers were not the best. Josh Butler, started, and apparently injured himself along the way. Amaury Rivas (1.38 ERA) was nicked up for a run. Victor Garate was hittable. Juan Perez (1.80 ERA) finished without allowing further damage to the talented Triple-A Royals.

Cleanup hitter 1B Erick Almonte (1-3 BB) committed his 3rd error.

Game Log

Gunned

Nashville Top of the 4th

Caleb Gindl homers (3) on a fly ball to left field.

Erick Almonte grounds out, third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff to first baseman Clint Robinson.

Taylor Green singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jarrod Dyson.

With Sean Halton batting, wild pitch by Mike Montgomery, Taylor Green to 2nd.

Sean Halton called out on strikes.

Hainley Statia singles on a line drive to left fielder Terry Evans. Taylor Green to 3rd.

Eric Farris doubles (2) on a line drive to left fielder Terry Evans. Taylor Green scores. Hainley Statia out at home on the throw, left fielder Terry Evans to shortstop Irving Falu to catcher Cody Clark.

Gameday

Final: South Bend (D-Backs) 10 , Wisconsin 4

Wisconsin Box Score

Yesterday I said I hoped the Rattlers would see Archie Bradley the next time the teams hooked up but Chris corrected me on the broadcast today. The T-Rats and Silver Hawks won't see each other again until next season and the way this series finished up maybe that's a good thing. David Goforth was pitching alright until the 5th and then the wheels came off and he actually ended up walking in 2 runs and leaving with the bases loaded. Chad Pierce came on and allowed all of the inherited runners to score and then didn't pitch a clean inning of his own until the 8th.

Not only do the Rattler pitchers want to get out of town, but so does Jason Rogers. Jason reached on error in the first, then was robbed by Ender Inciarte 3 straight ABs including a diving catch in the 8th. Carlos George extended his hitting streak to 7 games with a single, Yadiel Rivera went 2-5 with a double, and finally Gregory Hopkins went 2-3 with a double and a walk. The boxscore charged Ben McMahan with an error but it was actually on Max Walla (unless Chris called it wrong) making an ill advised and pretty terrible throw to the plate to allow the runner to move up (think Braun), however Ben did score an OF assist later in the game. Chadwin Stang stole a base and Rafael Neda gunned 1 of the 2 runners who tried to steal against the T-Rats.

Wisconsin Play by Play

The South Bend 5th...

South Bend Bottom of the 5th

• Fidel Pena grounds out to first baseman Jason Rogers.
    Tyson Van Winkle singles on a ground ball to third baseman Gregory Hopkins.
    Ender Inciarte walks. Tyson Van Winkle to 2nd.
    Josh Parr lines out to second baseman Carlos George.
    Chris Ellison walks. Tyson Van Winkle to 3rd. Ender Inciarte to 2nd.
    Tom Belza walks. Tyson Van Winkle scores. Ender Inciarte to 3rd. Chris Ellison to 2nd.
    Gerson Montilla singles on a ground ball to center fielder Chadwin Stang. Ender Inciarte scores. Chris Ellison scores. Tom Belza to 3rd.
    Pitcher Change: Chad Pierce replaces David Goforth.
    Matt Helm singles on a line drive to center fielder Chadwin Stang. Tom Belza scores. Gerson Montilla to 3rd.
    Marc Bourgeois singles on a line drive to right fielder Max Walla. Gerson Montilla scores. Matt Helm to 2nd.
    Fidel Pena strikes out swinging.

This looks like a pretty heads-up play by Chad, and it was initially to catch the runner between 2nd and 3rd, but what the play by play doesn't tell you is that he short hopped the throw and Yadiel Rivera made a heck of play to save the run down.

South Bend Bottom of the 6th

• Tyson Van Winkle flies out to right fielder Max Walla.
    Ender Inciarte doubles (7) on a line drive to left fielder Ben McMahan.
    Josh Parr singles on a line drive to left fielder Ben McMahan. Ender Inciarte scores. Josh Parr advances to 2nd, on throwing error by left fielder Ben McMahan.
    Chris Ellison reaches on a fielder's choice out, pitcher Chad Pierce to shortstop Yadiel Rivera to third baseman Gregory Hopkins to second baseman Carlos George to shortstop Yadiel Rivera. Josh Parr out at 3rd. Chris Ellison to 2nd on the throw.
    Tom Belza grounds out, first baseman Jason Rogers to pitcher Chad Pierce.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Hawks complete the sweep of the Rattlers

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

SOUTH BEND, IN - The South Bend Silver Hawks scored five times in the fifth inning to pull away from the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers to a 10-4 win Monday night at Stanley Coveleski Regional Stadium. Marc Bourgeois and Gerson Montilla each drove in three runs to support a strong start by Jesse Darrah to send the Rattlers to their third straight loss.

The teams traded first inning runs. Yadiel Rivera started the game with a single. A two out error allowed Jason Rogers to reach and send Rivera to second. Ben McMahan made the Hawks pay for extending the inning with an RBI single to right.

South Bend (11-8) answered in the bottom of the first. Tom Belza tripled with one out and scored on an RBI grounder by Montilla.

The Silver Hawks took the lead in the third. Number nine hitter Josh Parr was hit by a pitch from David Goforth. He would steal second and score on a single by Chris Ellison.

South Bend added to their lead by sending ten men to the plate and scoring five times after two outs in the bottom of the fifth. Goforth got the first out of the inning. Tyson Van Winkle reached on an infield single and Ender Inciarte walked. Goforth looked like he would dodge more trouble when Carlos George snared a liner off the bat of Parr for the second out.

But, Goforth lost the strike zone. He walked Ellison to load the bases. Goforth walked Belza to force in a run. Then, he fell behind Montilla 2-0. The Silver Hawks DH smacked a single to center to score two runs, make the score 5-1, and knock Goforth out of the game.

Chad Pierce could not immediately stop the tide. The Rattlers reliever gave up back-to-back RBI singles to Matt Helm and Bourgeois to let the score get to 7-1.

South Bend added another run in the sixth on a single by Parr and two more in the seventh on a homer by Bourgeois to push their lead to 10-1.

Silver Hawks starting pitcher Jesse Darrah allowed that one unearned run in the top of the first, but nothing else. He allowed three hits, walked, one and struck out one over six innings.

The Rattlers (10-9) would get a couple of runs off reliever Keith Hessler in the eighth. Greg Hopkins drew a leadoff walk on four pitches. Rivera drove next pitch off the wall in center 405 feet from home plate for an RBI double. Later in the inning, a sacrifice fly by Rogers scored Rivera.

Wisconsin tacked on one more run in the ninth as Hopkins doubled in George, but the Rattlers would get no closer.

The Timber Rattlers return to Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium to begin a homestand on Wednesday with a game against the Dayton Dragons. Wisconsin has Andy Moye (1-0, 0.82) as the scheduled starting pitcher. Dayton, the Midwest League affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds, has Stalin Gerson (1-1, 3.78) as their scheduled starter. Game time is 6:35pm.

Wednesday night 105.7, WAPL Bang for Your Buck Night and fans can take advantage of $1 Cher-Make hot dogs, $1 Pepsi Products, and $1 Miller Beers! Wednesday is also the first of two straight College Nights. College students may purchase reserved bleacher tickets for just $1 when presenting college ID at time of ticket purchase.

If you can't make it out to the game, tune in on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:15pm. Wednesday's game is also available on MiLB.TV.

HOME RUN:

SB:

Marc Bourgeois (3rd, 1 on in 7th inning, off Chad Pierce)

WP: Jesse Darrah (2-1)

LP: David Goforth (2-1)

TIME: 2:30

ATTN: 679

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Clearwater (Mets) 1 Brevard County 0

Burgos loses no-hitter in 9th as 'Tees fall to Threshers

04/24/2012 9:50 PM ET

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

CLEARWATER, Fla. - Brevard County Manatees starting pitcher Hiram Burgos threw eight no-hit innings but was unable to complete the feat as the 'Tees fell victim to a walk-off hit to the Clearwater Threshers in a 1-0 loss on Tuesday night at Bright House Field.

Burgos was perfect through his first six innings as he struck out six batters. His perfect game would be broken up in the bottom of the seventh with a lead-off walk to Peter Lavin. Burgos finished the rest of the seventh unscathed and then took his no-hitter into the bottom of the ninth.

Unfortunately for Burgos, Brevard County's bats were unable to give him any run support. The Manatees (8-10) scattered five hits and had their best chance for a run in the seventh.

Cody Hawn and Miguel Velazquez led the inning off with back-to-back singles. Mike Walker would then strike out swinging and then Hawn and Velazquez would move to second and third, respectfully, on a ground out by Shawn Zarraga. But with two outs and two men in scoring position, Scott Krieger grounded out to third to end the inning.

With the game knotted in a scoreless tie, it went to the bottom of the ninth with Burgos trying to get the 'Tees to extra innings. The no-hitter would be broken up by the first batter of the inning as D'Arby Myers doubled to left field. Myers would move up 90 feet with a sacrifice bunt by Edgar Duran and just like that not only was the no-hitter over, but the Manatees were on the verge of their sixth straight loss.

Burgos was then lifted for reliever Brian Garman who gave up a single to the first batter he faced - Lavin - which scored Myers and gave Clearwater (7-9) a 1-0 victory. So despite throwing eight innings of no-hit ball, Burgos was saddled with the tough-luck loss.

The final line on Burgos (0-1, 1.27) was eight-plus innings, one hit, one run, one walk and nine strikeouts.

With the loss, Brevard County finished 0-6 on its six-game road trip and the Manatees' record drops to 8-10. The 'Tees will look to get back on the winning track as they return home to Space Coast Stadium to begin a six-game home stand, starting on Wednesday night at 6:35 p.m. against the Tampa Yankees (9-9).

The Manatees are scheduled to send righty Brooks Hall (!) to the hill for his first start of the 2012 season. The Yankees will counter with Zachary Nuding (1-0, 0.00).

Box Score

Sorry BC hitters, this space is Hiram Burgos (24) only zone tonight.

What a fantastic game for Hiram. His line: 8 IP 1 H 1 R 1 ER 1 BB 9 K 9:3 GO:FO

His season line as a starter: 3 starts 19 2/3 IP 7 H 3 R 3 ER 4 BB 21 K 0 HR. Hitters were batting .133 against him going into the night, so a 1-25 night (.040) will help that.

Going into today, Hiram's BABIP against was .182, so that is going to go down too. Hitters seemingly are making poor contact. Or just are very unlucky.

This is the second start Burgos has gone deep with a no-no this season. Game logs from 2011 show nothing this good from Hiram, especially towards the end of the season. In 2010, Burgos posted some very impressive starts when he was pitching for the T-Rats.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/beth/sports/m-basebl/auto_action/2672790.jpeg

A night worthy of a picture

We need a current scouting report on what is working for Hiram, because the raw numbers are dominant and he is repeating A+ as an older prospect.

Game Log

Descriptive dominance.

Clearwater Bottom of the 1st

Peter Lavin strikes out swinging.

Carlos Alonso grounds out, shortstop Nick Shaw to first baseman Cody Hawn.

Brandon Tripp strikes out swinging.

Clearwater Bottom of the 2nd

Jim Murphy called out on strikes.

Cody Asche flies out to left fielder Scott Krieger.

Anthony Hewitt pops out to first baseman Cody Hawn in foul territory.

Clearwater Bottom of the 3rd

Cameron Rupp strikes out swinging.

D'Arby Myers pops out to first baseman Cody Hawn in foul territory.

Edgar Duran grounds out to first baseman Cody Hawn.

Clearwater Bottom of the 4th

Peter Lavin flies out to left fielder Scott Krieger.

Carlos Alonso grounds out, shortstop Nick Shaw to first baseman Cody Hawn.

Brandon Tripp grounds out, pitcher Hiram Burgos to first baseman Cody Hawn.

Clearwater Bottom of the 5th

Jim Murphy pops out to first baseman Cody Hawn.

Cody Asche flies out to center fielder Reggie Keen.

Anthony Hewitt strikes out swinging.

Clearwater Bottom of the 6th

Cameron Rupp grounds out, shortstop Nick Shaw to first baseman Cody Hawn.

D'Arby Myers pops out to second baseman Shea Vucinich.

Edgar Duran strikes out swinging.

Clearwater Bottom of the 7th

Peter Lavin walks.

Carlos Alonso out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Hiram Burgos to second baseman Shea Vucinich. Peter Lavin to 2nd.

Brandon Tripp grounds out, second baseman Shea Vucinich to first baseman Cody Hawn. Peter Lavin to 3rd.

Jim Murphy strikes out swinging.

Clearwater Bottom of the 8th

Cody Asche called out on strikes.

Anthony Hewitt strikes out swinging.

Cameron Rupp grounds out, third baseman Michael Walker to first baseman Cody Hawn.

The fireworks.

Clearwater Bottom of the 9th

D'Arby Myers doubles (2) on a fly ball to left fielder Scott Krieger.

Edgar Duran hits a sacrifice bunt. D'Arby Myers to 3rd. Edgar Duran to 1st.

Pitcher Change: Brian Garman replaces Hiram Burgos.

Peter Lavin singles on a line drive to center fielder Reggie Keen. D'Arby Myers scores. Edgar Duran to 2nd.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Almost flawless, Burgos falls short

By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com

Hiram Burgos turned in the finest start of his four-year professional career on Tuesday. Unfortunately, he'll remember the game as the one that got away.

The Brewers prospect was perfect through six innings and took a no-hitter into the ninth but ended up on the losing end of a 1-0 decision in the Class A Advanced Brevard County Manatees' setback to the Clearwater Threshers.

"It was my best game of my career tonight," said Burgos, who threw 94 pitches. "I'm still very proud of myself and I feel proud of my team. We were good defensively, but we just couldn't get it going offensively. Someone has to win and someone has to lose.

"This was the first time in all my career I nearly had a no-hitter. The closest before tonight was in the seventh inning back in Puerto Rico before I was in professional baseball, so that doesn't count. This was the longest outing I have ever had."

Burgos (0-1) set down the first 18 batters he faced at Bright House Field before Peter Lavin drew a leadoff walk in the bottom of the seventh. Even though some of his more superstitious teammates were keeping their distance in the dugout, Burgos didn't realize he was working on a perfect game.

"Everyone was trying to avoid me, but I like to talk when I'm in the dugout," the 2009 sixth-round Draft pick said. "I don't like to sit by myself and stay quiet, I like to talk about the game and the hitters coming up. But when I was looking for [my teammates], they were staying away.

"I fell behind in the count to [Lavin] and I wanted to throw a strike, but I couldn't. Then the next batter, I was working out of the stretch and it felt weird and that was when I realized I had lost a perfect game."

A sacrifice bunt and a groundout moved Lavin to third base, but Burgos struck out Jim Murphy to strand the potential go-ahead run.

After a 1-2-3 eighth, Burgos gave up a leadoff double to D'Arby Myers, ending the 24-year-old right-hander's shot at history.

"I had some butterflies in my stomach because I knew I was pitching a really good game," he said. "I was proud to go back out for the ninth because you don't get to do that too often. I told the manager that it was my game to lose and that if we lost, it was going to be on me.

"I wasn't trying to trick anybody out there, I just wanted to get ahead in the count. It was a cutter down and in and [Myers] hit a fly ball to left. I was mad, but at the same time I was really proud of myself and my team."

The Manatees left Burgos in to face Edgar Duran, who bunted back to the mound. Burgos fielded the ball cleanly and tried to get the lead runner at third, but Myers beat the throw.

Brian Garman relieved Burgos in an attempt to force extra innings, but Lavin stroked a walk-off single up the middle to hand Burgos the hard-luck loss and complete the Manatees' 0-6 road trip.

Despite picking up his first loss of the year, Burgos said he can take a lot from the outing.

"I pounded the zone and kept the hitters off-balance. I was throwing my changeup, my curveball, my cutter and my fastball, and everything was working for me," he explained. "I was working backwards and whenever you can use your second and third pitches to get ahead in the count you will be successful.

"I can take a lot of confidence from this. I have been working hard, and having confidence is the biggest thing."

In four games, including three starts, Burgos is sixth in the Florida State League with a 1.27 ERA. He's given up only seven hits and four walks while striking out 21 over 21 1/3 innings.

Hiram Burgos has allowed three runs in four games. (Dennis Greenblatt/Hawk-Eye Sports Photography)

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/04/24/VvZU2GVx.jpg

Photo is from recent home game.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Omaha.com -- Royals' AAA club the polar opposite of struggling big league squad, and their defense did in the Sounds:

But defense might stand out as much as anything, particularly Tuesday, as Jarrod Dyson — the league’s best center fielder — made another stunning play: an over-the-shoulder catch on a long drive by Brooks Conrad to straightaway center for the game’s second out.

Dyson might have thrown Erick Almonte out at the plate in the second inning, but what would have been an on-target, one-hop throw home hit the top of the pitching mound and bounced high. No matter — Omaha ended the fourth inning by throwing out Hainley Statia at the plate as Terry Evans dug an RBI double out of the left-field corner and Falu, the cutoff man, made an accurate throw home.

Then Giavotella, the second baseman maligned for his defensive skills, started a spectacular sixth-inning double play. He dove to his right to make a back-handed stab of Taylor Green’s shot, and then — still flat on the ground — raised his upper body and flipped the ball from his glove to Falu at second base. Falu grabbed the ball with his bare hand and completed the double play by throwing to first.

Archived