Brewer Fanatic

Is T. Plush in danger of losing starts/playing time?

adambr2

Obviously very early in the season, and thus if you were talking about a perennial stud player, you wouldn't be too concerned. But I think with Morgan, most people felt that he played a bit over his head in 2011 compared with his typical career averages and might be due for a bit of a letdown.

He's going to get some leash because he did have a very nice 2011, but the fact that he has two players, not just one, vying for his playing time, poses a little bigger threat to him IMO. It doesn't help that those two players are not just depth/5th OF'er guys, but a batting champion from Japan, and a tremendous defensive CF'er with still a good deal of offensive upside who doesn't really have career splits that suggest he's strictly a platoon player.

All that said, if it keeps up, will the strict platoon eventually evolve into more of a loose platoon between all three?

He's a career .306 hitter against RHP so I'm not sure it's fair to say he was playing over his head last year.

This year there's no doubt he's looked horrendous at the plate. Lots of 3-pitch strikeouts and some boneheaded defense as well. I wouldn't mind trying to give him just a few days off in a row with Aoki getting a few starts, but I'm by no means ready to give up on Morgan just yet.

I think he's a little young to have a steep decline all of a sudden. I tend to trust career stats and he's a career .300 hitter vs RHP. He'll come around. And I'm too scared of Aoki's Johnny Damon arm to want him in CF
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I think he's a little young to have a steep decline all of a sudden. I tend to trust career stats and he's a career .300 hitter vs RHP. He'll come around. And I'm too scared of Aoki's Johnny Damon arm to want him in CF

Morgan's arm isn't much better. And one could make the argument he's worse defensively because of his poor positioning and judgment of fly balls. I'll take the guy with the weaker arm (if Aoki does in fact have the weaker arm) over the guy who makes stupid mental mistakes.

While I wouldn't mind if Morgan was traded, I think Aoki should at least get more PT. I would love to see a 3-man platoon, with Gomez getting all the starts against lefties and Morgan/Aoki splitting time against righties. Aoki should get 1 start a week in CF. I also wouldn't mind him getting 1 start a week in RF either to either give Hart a rest or have Hart play 1B to give Gamel a rest. But there's almost 0 possibility to that latter part since Roenicke loves Ishikawa (so Hart is probably only the emergency 1B now).

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I get the fear of Morgan regressing, but I still think he'll be a productive hitter in the platoon against RHP over the course of the season. I understand wanting Aoki to get a start here and there (and would even be in favor of it so long as his defense is OK, which it should be)....but I do not understand why people are asking for Morgan to be traded. a) I don't think he'd bring THAT much back, b) he was really really good last year, and even with regression to his career averages against RHP he is still a productive major league player, and c) it's really nice to have this depth in the OF and be able to bring Gomez/Morgan to pinch run/field (worked out very well the first two games against the dodgers) as well as have Aoki/Morgan as a PH against RHP or Gomez against LHP coming off the bench. I understand thinking Aoki may earn some starts, but I don't understand wanting to make our bench even weaker by trading a guy like Morgan.

Yeah, I'd like to see more of Aoki as well. I like the idea of him splitting time with Morgan in CF against RHP, and also drawing a start or so per week in RF.

That said though, I'm a little surprised he swings and misses/Ks as much as he does for a guy with his skillset.

I want to see Aoki get some more starts and regular at bats. He has a good plate approach and may prove to be a very good hitter if given the chance.

As do I, but I'm so confident that Gomez has some of that pressure off of him, plus the fact that he's so valuable in CF, and that his at bats have looked entirely different this year than they have in the past, and I still hold old hope for the former top prospect who's still just 25 years old.

In many systems he'd still be working his way up through the minors, or be just a year or two in. Plus, he brings so many intangibles that I'm torn. Love Aoki. I'd love to see him be our starting, but I think Gomez can be just as valuable.

Morgan, while some think he played over his head, did have a 5.1 WAR two years ago, so I wouldn't write him off just yet. But with thsoe two, plus the protection of Gindl, Schafer and possibly even Green, I'd just rather see them getting the at bats.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

In weeks where we face 6 righties, I'd like Aoki to get two starts. I'd also like to make sure the Brewers give Braun and Hart a day or two off per month to try to keep them healthy.

I'd rather see Hart play a game or two at 1st base a week(though I'm a big a Gamel supporter as the there is) and then play Gomez and Aoki together.

And for the record, Aoki's arm is not that weak. It's much more accurate and stronger than Morgan's.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Morgan, while some think he played over his head, did have a 5.1 WAR two years ago, so I wouldn't write him off just yet. But with thsoe two, plus the protection of Gindl, Schafer and possibly even Green, I'd just rather see them getting the at bats.

He also had 4 WAR last year. He is really, really good.

And, you can say Gomez has changed his approach, but he's walked ONCE this year. He still has no idea what pitch is coming and is swinging hoping to make contact.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

how long was mcgehee's leash last year? 163 games. i don't expect anything to change for months (baring an injury).... I would like to see more of Aoki in the #2 whole if nothing other than i think he has the best chance for a high obp.

Gomez is the same as last year. The difference is he's not being over-exposed vs righties. It would be foolish to expand him beyond an occasional start vs a righty when we have two competent left-handed CF's in the majors and one in AAA

There really wasn't anything wrong with the leash McGehee got last year. You have to give a pretty established guy at least half a year. He started heating up in July, had a really solid August and then stank again in September and they started to replace him more. They should have probably nibbled away at his playtime a little bit here and there in the 1st half but there wasn't a sure thing point last year where he should have just lost the starting job. Somewhere in that May/June range they should have found a way to sit him a bit more though since he was just so cold.

I don't want to see Hart taking any starts away from Gamel. He needs every AB he can get- especially against LHP. It's the only way you'll know if he can hit LHP at the MLB level or not. If he were a 22 yr old rookie I may feel differently, but he's not.

Aoki should get a few starts in CF, maybe give Hart off a day here and there (RR likes giving Hart days off anyhow) and then we would at least have some idea whther Aoki could be a platoon player or even full time starter at some point this year or next.

Gomez may be more productive, but I really think if he played every day you would see a drop-off. Just enjoy what he's doing in his current role and don't mess with it. He's already showing signs of his old ways. Twice in the Dodgers series he swung at fastballs up at his eyes trying to hit it over Bernie's head.

starting for the first time aoki in cf at coors doesn't seem to me a good idea at all, althogh i'd like to see the guy starting a couples of time a week.

Hoping the game is in Milwaukee tonight since I have tickets and I don't have time to fly to Colorado!

Based on Friday's small sample, I think Aoki stands a decent chance of more starts in CF.

I hope you're right, hawing. This offense badly needs a spark right now, and I believe in playing the hot hand. Aoki definitely warrants more playing time with his performance of late.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived