Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 4/18 -- Stars split as Scooter stays hot; Rattlers break out

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednesday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Mark Rogers at home vs. Oklahoma City (Astros), 10:50 AM pre-game, 11:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP's Evan Anundsen and Kyle Heckathorn in a doubleheader at home vs. Tennessee (Cubs), 4:28 PM pre-game, 4:43 gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: A total of 24 Stars' games (in Jacksonville and Tennessee) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: Idle

Wisconsin: RHP Mark Williams at home vs. Burlington (Athletics), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and 24 Stars' road games (one Helena series this summer, too).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Pre-Game Nashville audio (nearly nine minutes!) with LHP Daniel Meadows

Very well-spoken, by the way...

With the draft going to 40 rounds this year, Meadows has a chance to be the last (maybe only?) Brewers 49th round pick to reach the big leagues.

Meadows wasn't the last 49th round pick to sign -- INF Gant Elmore (released this spring) signed last year.

Rogers with a 20 pitch 1st inning. He gave up no hits but walked a guy.

Brooks Conrad his starting and hitting 3rd. Halton moves down to 6th. Farris in LF again.

Edit 1: Rogers gives up a homer in the second but gets 2 K.

Edit 2: According to Jeff, Caleb Gindl is day-to-day. It is a "tweaked" hamstring. That is from manager Sandy Guerrero. Not expected to miss significant time.

Edit 3: Allowed a run on a WP that Maldonado couldn't find. 69 pitches through 3. Schafer caught an almost 3-run bomb with his back to the wall to end the inning.

I notice comments in the daily reports about the Manatees defense. Small sample, but I was down in Brevard County for Spring Break, and saw their first two games. Sure, the oustanding pitching has something to do with the defense. Beyond that, I was very impressed with their overall defense. Made all the routine plays, even saw a couple of outstanding plays. Even watching them warm up and throw the ball around between innings, they look very sharp.

Sounds Drop Wednesday Matinee To RedHawks, 7-5

04/18/2012 1:04 PM ET

Nashville Sounds

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Nashville Sounds dropped a 7-5 contest to the visiting Oklahoma City RedHawks on Wednesday afternoon at Greer Stadium in the opener of a four-game set.

Nine of the Sounds' 13 games this season have been decided by one or two runs (3-6 in those contests).

RedHawks starter Dallas Keuchel (3-0) threw his third straight quality start to open the season for the win. The left-hander surrendered two runs on five hits and three walks while striking out three in seven innings. Keuchel tossed seven scoreless against Nashville earlier this season on April 12 in Oklahoma City.

Center fielder Logan Schafer went 2-for-4 with a double and one RBI. In left field for the first time at home this season, Eric Farris scored two runs while adding a hit to extend his hitting streak to five games.

Oklahoma City right fielder Justin Ruggiano belted a solo homer to right field to leadoff the second inning to give the RedHawks a 1-0 lead. The long ball was Ruggiano's first of the season.

The RedHawks added another run in the next inning for a 2-0 advantage as the first two batters led off with singles. After both runners moved to scoring position on a double steal, J.B Shuck scored on a walk combined with a wild pitch from Rogers.

The Sounds trimmed the lead in half in the next frame. Farris singled to left field, moved from first to third on a Schafer base hit to right field, and came home on an Edwin Maysonet sacrifice fly.

Oklahoma City extended the lead to 5-1 in the visiting half of the fifth with a couple homers off reliever Seth McClung. Brian Bixler hit a solo shot to left field and Scott Moore crushed a two-run homer to right.

Nashville plated its second run in the fifth thanks to an RBI-double from Schafer. Farris reached on a fielder's choice groundout, stole second base, and scored on a line drive two-bagger from the center fielder.

The RedHawks made it 7-2 in the next inning as Bixler tripled off the top of the centerfield wall and scored on the ensuing at-bat when Fernando Martinez looped a base hit over second base. Martinez later scored the other run on an infield groundout from Brett Wallace.

After Maysonet walked in the eighth, second baseman Brooks Conrad crushed his first home run in a Sounds uniform to reduce the lead to three runs at 7-4. On a 1-1 pitch from reliever Juan Abreu, Conrad crushed the two-run shot to right field.

The Sounds threatened in the bottom of the ninth against closer Jose Valdez. First baseman Sean Halton reached on a fielding error and moved to third on a single from Corey Patterson. Halton then scored on a infield ground out from Farris to trim the lead to two runs. As the tying run, Farris took second on defensive indifference and was stranded there as the game ended on a long fly out from Hainley Statia.

In his season debut for the Sounds starting pitcher Mark Rogers (0-3) allowed two runs on three hits and two walks in three inning of work. The right-hander fanned three in 69 pitches, 35 for strikes in the loss.

In his first relief appearance since moving to the bullpen, McClung was touched for five runs on seven hits and three walks in 2 1/3 innings. Vinnie Chulk tossed a season-high 2 2/3 scoreless innings while allowing one of two inherited runners to score.

Right-handed reliever Amaury Rivas ended the contest with a perfect ninth inning.

The Sounds and RedHawks will play a doubleheader on Thursday night consisting of pair of seven-inning contests. Right-hander Josh Butler (0-2, 3.86) will toe the rubber for the Sounds in the opener against RedHawks righty Jordan Lyles (1-0, 1.50). Nashville righty Brian Baker (1-1, 4.82) will start the nightcap versus right-hander Henry Sosa (0-0, 3.00).

Box Score

I listened to all of Rogers' start. You can view my comments here. We also get the interesting Caleb Gindl injury nugget via Jeff's broadcast. We should see Caleb back in the lineup soon.

Amaury Rivas fared the best of the three Brewers relievers. He had a clean 9th. His ERA sits at 1.29 on the season.

Logan Schafer is starting to heat up. Over his last 10 games: .275/.370/.450 5:5 BB:K (Season: .226/.317/.358 6:8 BB:K). Taylor Green is in a season starting slump but he did BB at least. So did Sean Halton. Brooks Conrad hit his first HR.

Game Log

The Rogers batters.

Okla. City Top of the 1st

J. B. Shuck flies out to left fielder Eric Farris.

Brian Bixler grounds out, third baseman Taylor Green to first baseman Sean Halton.

Fernando Martinez walks.

Scott Moore flies out to left fielder Eric Farris.

Okla. City Top of the 2nd

Justin Ruggiano homers (1) on a fly ball to right center field.

Brett Wallace called out on strikes.

Jimmy Paredes grounds out, first baseman Sean Halton to pitcher Mark Rogers.

Carlos Corporan called out on strikes.

Okla. City Top of the 3rd

Dallas Keuchel singles on a line drive to center fielder Logan Schafer.

J. B. Shuck singles on a line drive to left fielder Eric Farris. Dallas Keuchel to 2nd.

Brian Bixler ground bunts into a force out, pitcher Mark Rogers to third baseman Taylor Green. Dallas Keuchel out at 3rd. J. Shuck to 2nd. Brian Bixler to 1st.

Fernando Martinez strikes out swinging. J. B. Shuck steals (2) 3rd base. Brian Bixler steals (5) 2nd base.

Scott Moore walks. Wild pitch by pitcher Mark Rogers. J. B. Shuck scores. Brian Bixler to 3rd.

Justin Ruggiano flies out to center fielder Logan Schafer.

Gameday

I guess you couldn't have hoped for a flawless first appearance back for Rogers; not bad overall, considering. I hope he can continue to get back to form & pitch for the big-league Brewers before long.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Understandable that Schafer and Green are off to slow starts. Each probably hoped to make the Brewers out of spring training and it must have been a big let down. They need to refocus and I'm sure it will happen soon.

perhaps, WV Brew, but both had only one way of making the team--a Brewer injury. Given that their chances were near zero percent, can't be too big of a let down. I'd focus on the good experience of being in big league camp that long

I think pretty much everyone understands how much I liked the Mark Rogers pick and hopefully understands how hard I've rooted for him so my following statement is taken in it's proper context.

For years I've been waiting for him to reign in his command so I could anoint him a legitimate top of the rotation pitching prospect, but it's just never happened. I pointed out that I wouldn't want Scarpetta as a MLB reliever with his 4.7 BB rate above rookie ball but I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Mark has a career BB rate of exactly 6.0.

He will not have MLB success with a BB rate that high and he's running out of time with the Brewer organization. There have been plenty of pitchers with big arms and a similar problem, Luis Pena comes to mind... guys that were just filthy but couldn't get out of their own way and throw enough strikes to be successful.

Mark needs to throw strikes and I know this was his first legit outing in over a year (throw out last year because he shouldn't have thrown an inning with the physical problems he was going through) but the fact remains if he doesn't drastically lower his BB rate not only is he not a starter, he's not a reliever in the big leagues either despite his limited success in that role.

I loved the pick, I love drafting multi-sport athletes who didn't specialize, I respect how hard Mark has worked over the years, I desperately want him to succeed, but it's now or never with the Brewers, and I'd hate for him to have to move on to another organization.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Final: Wisconsin 10, Burlington (A's) 6

Rattlers score early, score late; win second straight

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers scored five runs in the first inning and eventually built a 6-1 lead over the Burlington Bees Wednesday night at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium. The Bees came back to tie the game 6-6 before the Rattlers scored four times in the bottom of the eighth inning to pick up a 10-6 win. Chadwin Stang tripled twice and drove in three runs while Carlos George homered and knocked in a pair. Greg Hopkins and Yadiel Rivera each came through with hits to drive in two runs in the ninth inning to send Wisconsin to their second straight win.

The Rattlers (7-6) grabbed control with a five run first inning against Burlington starting pitcher Jose Macias. Wisconsin loaded the bases on a single and two walks. Stang unloaded the bases with a triple to the corner in right field. Brandon Macias would be next and his single knocked in Stang. Then, Macias stole second and went to third on a throwing error. George singled in Macias for a quick 5-0 lead.

Burlington (6-7) got a run back off Wisconsin starter Mark Williams on a leadoff homer in the second by Dusty Robinson. The homer was the fifth of the season for Robinson.

The Rattlers got that run back in the bottom of the fourth inning when George blasted his first home run since July 23, 2010.

Williams struck out six over five innings and turned the 6-1 lead over to the Rattlers bullpen.

The Bees started their comeback in the seventh inning against Seth Lintz. He gave up a two-run homer to Nick Rickels with one out in the inning and the Rattlers lead was cut to 6-3.

In the eighth, Burlington had runners at the corners and two outs with John Nester at the plate. Nester fouled off five two strike pitches from Lintz and worked the count full before coaxing a walk from the Rattlers reliever to load the bases.

Tommy Toledo relieved Lintz at that point and gave up a three-run triple to Royce Consigli that tied the game 6-6.

But, the Rattler hitters responded in the bottom of the eighth. Parker Berberet drew a leadoff walk and John Dishon pinch ran for him. Stang, who had also tripled in the third inning, was asked to drop a sacrifice bunt and he did to send Dishon to second base. Macias singled to left, but it was hit too sharply for Dishon to score. An error on the throw in from the outfield let Macias take second base. The Bees walked George to load the bases and setup a potential double play with Hopkins due at the plate.

Hopkins foiled the strategy with a single to center that drove in two runs and put the Rattlers up 8-6.

One out later Rivera smacked a triple to center to drive in two more runs and give the Rattlers a 10-6 advantage.

Toledo worked a 1-2-3 ninth to finish the Bees.

The Timber Rattlers begin a six game road trip on Thursday night with a game against the West Michigan Whitecaps at Fifth Third Ballpark. David Goforth (1-0, 3.00) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. Brennan Smith (1-0, 0.00) is set to start for the Whitecaps. Game time is 5:35pm CDT. Tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 5:15pm.

HOME RUNS:

BUR:

Dusty Robinson (5th, 2nd inning off Mark Williams, 0 out)

Nick Rickels (1st, 7th inning off Seth Lintz, 1 out)

WIS:

Carlos George (1st, 4th inning off Jose Macias, 0 out)

WP: Tommy Toledo (2-0)

LP: Brent Powers (2-1)

TIME: 2:49

ATTN: 841

Wisconsin Box Score

The Rattlers jumped all over the Bees in the first and Mark Williams started and pitched a heck of a game going 5 innings while allowing 3 hits, 1 walk, 1 earned run on a HR, and striking out 6. Kevin Shackelford pitched a clean 6th but Seth Lintz struggled mightily giving up 5 runs, 4 earned in 1.2 innings on 3 hits, 2 walks, and a HR. Tommy Toledo came in to a bases loaded situation and gave up a triple which is why he was tagged with the blown save but ultimately got the win as he set the side down in order in the 9th.

On the position player side of things the Rattlers pounded out 11 hits. No one had 3 hits but Yadiel Rivera, Chadwin Stang, Brandon Macias, Carlos George, and Gregory Hopkins all had 2 hits a piece. Rivera had the game winning triple, both of Stang's hits were triples, Hopkins had a double, and George added a HR which was his first of the season. Macias had a stolen base, George was caught stealing, and Max Walla was picked off of 1st while going hitless but he did walk twice. The T-Rats played another clean game defensively which is very nice to see.

Wisconsin Play By Play

The T-Rat 1st

Wisconsin Bottom of the 1st

• Yadiel Rivera singles on a fly ball to center fielder Chad Oberacker.
    Max Walla walks. Yadiel Rivera to 2nd.
    Jason Rogers flies out to right fielder Bobby Crocker.
    Parker Berberet walks. Yadiel Rivera to 3rd. Max Walla to 2nd.
    Chadwin Stang triples (2) on a line drive to right fielder Bobby Crocker. Yadiel Rivera scores. Max Walla scores. Parker Berberet scores.
    Brandon Macias singles on a ground ball to center fielder Chad Oberacker. Chadwin Stang scores.
    With Carlos George batting, Brandon Macias steals (3) 2nd base, . Brandon Macias advances to 3rd, on missed catch error by shortstop Sean Jamieson.
    Carlos George singles on a fly ball to right fielder Bobby Crocker. Brandon Macias scores.
    With Gregory Hopkins batting, Carlos George caught stealing 2nd base, catcher John Nester to second baseman Chih Fang Pan.
    Gregory Hopkins called out on strikes.

Seth Lintz just hasn't put it together, his 7th and 8th

Burlington Top of the 7th

• Pitcher Change: Seth Lintz replaces Kevin Shackelford.
    John Nester reaches on fielding error by third baseman Brandon Macias.
    Royce Consigli called out on strikes.
    Nick Rickles homers (1) on a fly ball to center field. John Nester scores.
    Chih Fang Pan walks.
    Chad Oberacker grounds into double play, first baseman Gregory Hopkins to shortstop Yadiel Rivera to first baseman Gregory Hopkins. Chih Fang Pan out at 2nd.

Burlington Top of the 8th

• Sean Jamieson singles on a line drive to right fielder Max Walla.
    B. A. Vollmuth flies out to right fielder Max Walla.
    Dusty Robinson singles on a line drive to left fielder Jason Rogers. Sean Jamieson to 2nd.
    Bobby Crocker grounds into a force out, third baseman Brandon Macias to second baseman Carlos George. Sean Jamieson to 3rd. Dusty Robinson out at 2nd. Bobby Crocker to 1st.
    John Nester walks. Bobby Crocker to 2nd.
    Pitcher Change: Tommy Toledo replaces Seth Lintz.
    Royce Consigli triples (2) on a line drive to right fielder Max Walla. Sean Jamieson scores. Bobby Crocker scores. John Nester scores.
    Nick Rickles grounds out, catcher Rafael Neda to first baseman Gregory Hopkins.

The game winning rally.

Wisconsin Bottom of the 8th

• Pitcher Change: Brent Powers replaces Max Perlman.
    Parker Berberet walks.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch runner John Dishon replaces Parker Berberet.
    Chadwin Stang out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Brent Powers to first baseman Nick Rickles. John Dishon to 2nd.
    Brandon Macias singles on a line drive to left fielder Royce Consigli. John Dishon to 3rd. Brandon Macias advances to 2nd, on throwing error by left fielder Royce Consigli.
    Brent Powers intentionally walks Carlos George.
    Gregory Hopkins singles on a ground ball to center fielder Chad Oberacker. John Dishon scores. Brandon Macias scores. Carlos George to 3rd. Gregory Hopkins to 2nd on the throw.
    Rafael Neda strikes out swinging.
    Yadiel Rivera triples (1) on a line drive to center fielder Chad Oberacker. Carlos George scores. Gregory Hopkins scores.
    Max Walla walks.
    With Jason Rogers batting, Brent Powers picks off Max Walla at 1st on throw to Nick Rickles.

edit. WI game story popped as I finished the post, putting Chris' story at the top

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Final Game 1: Huntsville 2, Tennessee (Cubs) 1 in 7 Innings

Huntsville Game 1 Box Score

Just fantastic pitching in game 1 behind Kyle Heckathorn's best outing of the season and the Stars scored in the bottom of the 7th for the walk off win. Kyle went 6IP allowing 5H, no walks, 1ER, and he struck out 3. Rob Wooten finished it off and was a bit shakey allowing a hit and a walk but got out of the 7th unscathed.

Normally there isn't much of a chance for multi hit games in these 7 inning contests, especially low scoring affairs, but Scooter Gennett had a heck of a game going 3-4 with a double. Khris Davis and Andy Gonzalez each had 2 hits with Andy adding a 2B. Josh Prince had a triple and a stolen base, the Stars only defensive miscue was a PB by Jason Jaramillo.

Huntsville Game 1 Play by Play

3 of the 5 hits Heckathorn gave up came in the 2nd.

Tennessee Top of the 2nd

• Michael Burgess grounds out, second baseman Scooter Gennett to first baseman Hunter Morris.
    Jonathan Mota singles on a line drive to left fielder Khris Davis.
    James Adduci singles on a line drive to right fielder Brock Kjeldgaard. Jonathan Mota to 2nd.
    Michael Brenly doubles (3) on a fly ball to center fielder Josh Prince. Jonathan Mota scores. James Adduci to 3rd.
    Dallas Beeler strikes out swinging.
    Elliot Soto grounds out, pitcher Kyle Heckathorn to first baseman Hunter Morris.

The Stars tied the game in the 5th...

Huntsville Bottom of the 5th

• Josh Prince called out on strikes.
    Jeff Bianchi reaches on fielding error by third baseman Jonathan Mota.
    With Scooter Gennett batting, Jeff Bianchi steals (2) 2nd base.
    Scooter Gennett singles on a ground ball to second baseman Logan Watkins. Jeff Bianchi to 3rd.
    Brock Kjeldgaard singles on a ground ball to left fielder James Adduci. Jeff Bianchi scores. Scooter Gennett to 2nd.
    Hunter Morris grounds into double play, second baseman Logan Watkins to shortstop Elliot Soto to first baseman Rebel Ridling. Brock Kjeldgaard out at 2nd.

... and made the winning rally look easy.

Huntsville Bottom of the 7th

• Josh Prince triples (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Jae-Hoon Ha.
    Jeff Bianchi strikes out swinging.
    Scooter Gennett singles on a line drive to center fielder Jae-Hoon Ha. Josh Prince scores.

- Plato

- Plato

Final Game 2: Tennesse (Cubs) 1, Huntsville 0 (7 Innings)

Huntsville Game 2 Box Score

Normally I'd just be happy with such a stellar pitching effort but dang if I don't want to pummel the Cubs organization every chance we get. Evan Anundsen also pitched very well today, his only blemish being the game winning HR. He went 5IP, 3H, 1HR, 1ER, 0BB, and 1SO and was followed by Jesus Sanchez who pitched the final 2 innings allowing only 1 hit.

The bats just didn't get it going in game 2 only putting up 4 hits against Ausie Ryan Searle who's an interesting prospect for the Cubs. Scooter Gennett had the only offensive performance worth mentioning putting up a 1-3 effort with a double and a stolen base. The Stars only got 4 runners to 2nd base, and Scooter was there twice and with today's double header he bumped his AVE up to .350 on the season. Khris Davis did go 1-3 keeping his AVE up near .400, he's batting .396 here in the early going.

Huntsville Game 2 Play by Play

Exactly what you'd expect given 4 hits...

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars and Smokies Split Doubleheader

HUNTSVILLE, Ala - The Huntsville Stars and the Tennessee Smokies split a doubleheader at Joe Davis Stadium on Wednesday, as the Stars won game one by a score of 2-1 while the Smokies took game two by a score of 1-0.

For game one, the Stars came back from a 1-0 deficit in the second inning after Smokies catcher Mike Brenly delivered an RBI double off of Stars starting pitcher Kyle Heckathorn.

However, that would be the only blemish of the day for Heckathorn, as he shut down the Smokies over six innings, giving up that one run and just five hits before he was taken out of the game.

With Heckathorn handling the Tennessee bats, the Stars tied up the game in the fourth inning with an RBI single from right fielder Brock Kjeldgaard. Then, in the seventh, after Josh Prince led off the inning with his second triple of the season, Gennett continued his scorching series by plating Prince with the walk-off single against Tennessee RHP Kevin Rhoderick.

On offense, Gennett was the story once again, as his 3-for-4 showing gave him his second consecutive three-hit game. Third basemen Andy Gonzalez and left fielder Khris Davis also had two hits apiece.

For the Stars, RHP Rob Wooten earned his first win of the season after stranding two Smokies runners in a scoreless seventh inning.

In game two, the Stars were held to four hits and shutout by a combination of Smokies arms that included starting pitcher Ryan Searle and relief pitchers Casey Weathers and Frank Batista.

For Searle, he improved to 2-0 on the season in his first start of 2012, pitching 4.0 innings while giving up just two hits and striking out five. Batista also earned his SL-leading fifth save of the season.

The Smokies pitching spoiled a tremendous outing from Huntsville starting pitcher Evan Anundsen, as his record fell to 0-1 on the season after only giving up one run and three hits over 5.0 innings. His only blemish was when he surrendered the eventual game-winning run in the second inning on a solo home run by OF Ty Wright.

On offense, four players each had one hit, including 2B Scooter Gennett and LF Khris Davis. With his first inning double, Gennett increased his hitting streak to 10 games while a seventh inning single helped Davis increase his hit streak to nine games.

The Huntsville Stars will finish off the five-game series on Thursday with the Tennessee Smokies by sending RHP R.J Seidel (0-2, 6.75 ERA) to the mound to square off against RHP Dae-Eun Rhee (1-0, 3.00 ERA). First pitch is at 6:43 p.m.

Archived