Brewer Fanatic

2012 General Draft Discussion

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

instant reaction from bleacher report

1.27 Milwaukee Brewers: Clint Coulter, C, Union HS (Wash.)

Grade: A-

I believe Coulter is the best catcher in the draft class, as he's a tremendous athlete for his size with exceptional raw power. He's a big dude, but he has what it takes to stick behind the plate. Everyone and their mother had him going to the Brewers, so not a big surprise there. Regardless, a steal for the Brewers at this point.

1.28 Milwaukee Brewers: Victor Roache, OF, Georgia Southern

Grade: A-

The Brewers are all-in on power bats, so not a big shocker that they went with Roache over Gallo right here, who's much more signable. He has tremendous power, especially to his pull-side, that projects at the next level. He broke his wrist and required surgery early in the spring, but that obviously that isn't overly concerning to the Brewers. This is a bargain for the Brewers and one of the best steals of the draft thus far. Nicely done with Nos. 27 and 28, Brew Crew.

To assign letter grades to draft picks within minutes of them taking place seems... strange at best.

Yeah, they should have gone with a different format: Top Ten Brewers 2012 First-Round Picks.

To assign letter grades to draft picks within minutes of them taking place seems... strange at best.

If it is to simply imply value of the pick I guess it could make sense although it has very little value outside of that

Appel:

“I’m currently concentrating on winning a national championship and finishing my academic endeavors at Stanford. I will address the possibility of a professional career in due time.”

I wouldnt get too worried about his future with the Pirates

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Appel:

“I’m currently concentrating on winning a national championship and finishing my academic endeavors at Stanford. I will address the possibility of a professional career in due time.”

Sounds like posturing to me, I'm not sure you can make any predictions about signability until we see the rest of the Pirates draft.

I still think the whole "going to school" is unnecessary leverage needlessly given to players that have less than a 50% chance of making MLB in the first place. Make everyone declare for the draft and stop the madness... if you don't like the team that drafts you then fine, go play indy ball otherwise sign with the team and take the guaranteed scholarship if you don't make it in baseball. Players being able to opt back into college if they don't get their money drives me nuts.

On this stuff I'd like it to be black and white, either you're in you're out, no dipping your toe in the water and then changing your mind. No other league lets draftees have so much juice being so far away from contributing. I'm not sure you can fix the credibility issues out of Latin America with player ages, money under the table, and so on, but you sure can solve many problems by simply taking leverage away from the draft eligible amateurs, then come up with some kind of similar system that will work for international signings.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm disappointed that the Brewers didn't get Eflin. What do they have against high-ceiling high school pitchers?

Eflin goes to SDP at #33. I'll have to remember to check out how he does in their system.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Appel:

Sounds like posturing to me, I'm not sure you can make any predictions about signability until we see the rest of the Pirates draft.

I still think the whole "going to school" is unnecessary leverage needlessly given to players that have less than a 50% chance of making MLB in the first place. Make everyone declare for the draft and stop the madness... if you don't like the team that drafts you then fine, go play indy ball otherwise sign with the team and take the guaranteed scholarship if you don't make it in baseball. Players being able to opt back into college if they don't get their money drives me nuts.

On this stuff I'd like it to be black and white, either you're in you're out, no dipping your toe in the water and then changing your mind. No other league lets draftees have so much juice being so far away from contributing. I'm not sure you can fix the credibility issues out of Latin America with player ages, money under the table, and so on, but you sure can solve many problems by simply taking leverage away from the draft eligible amateurs, then come up with some kind of similar system that will work for international signings.

I agree

Do like the NBA. Declare and hire an agent, you are in an can no longer back out.

Yeah I agree, it's always tough to project the MLB draft but that just seems like a signability pick which is ridiculous considering Roache was in that category as well. You pass on Gallo, and Smoral? Just seems like a mistake but we won't know for a few years I guess.

someone likes the pick, from bleacher report

S.38 Milwaukee Brewers: Mitch Haniger, OF, Cal Poly

Grade: A

Another knock-out pick for the Brewers, who are stock piling some great bats thus far. He's toolsy with some projectable power, and this might be my favorite of their picks.

I know nothing about any of these guys they drafted are but the player comp for that last pick was Jeff Franceur. And the next guy picked was a 3rd baseman that the one guy said had the most power of anyone in the draft. To my less than informed self seems incredibly stupid.

Yeah, I'm not happy. It appears the Brewers will always draft college-heavy as long as Seid is in charge. College hitters were supposed to be the weakness of this draft, yet here we are. I'll try to be less negative tomorrow, but Coulter is the only pick I liked.

i think for most of us its hard to commentate on these picks. its much easier in the nba and nfl draft where we have seen these players. overall i am happy that they got some positional players into the organization after going heaving pitching the last few years in the first few rounds. hopefully they work out.

Archived