Brewer Fanatic

2012 General Draft Discussion

Jankowski is likely to go somewhere in the 25-35 range, so no, he's not a reach.

I was just wondering because BA has him ranked all the way down at #68. I don't follow many draft player rankings. Is he ranked higher by most other publications?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we have him ranked around the same spot, which may be an oversight, because he quietly put together a nice year. I think his slow start hurt him in the ranking process, but I know the 25-35 range is where he's expected to be taken, and the Brewers have shown interest.

For those hoping Russell is available, i think if he is we pass, Scott Boras wont provide an easy sign, and from all reports I've read, Coulter could be the guy at 27, which would be sweet because he will also be attending the draft

I'm excited for the draft, once again. Should be an interesting one... seems like there's a lot of talent to be had this year, so I just hope Seid & Co. wind up picking the right dudes.

I hope there isn't any "focus on _[insert position here]_", and they can just work on getting the most talented player at each pick.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think one of the picks is definitely going to be a "safe" pick. Maybe two HS picks and one college player who is easier to sign.

This might be a fairly conservative draft all around until teams get a better handle on how these new rules are going to play out.

Monday - 6pm CST - Rounds 1, 1a

Tuesday - 11am CST - Rounds 2-15

Wednedsay - 11am CST - Rounds 16-40

I don't pretend to be a draft expert or anything close to one, and I'm sure I'll be fine with and be able to rationalize anything that the Brewers choose to do. Once they are Brewers, I'm behind them 100%. Having said that, here are a few guys that I find that I'm liking for the Brewers' first 3 picks. Some of these guys will undoubtedly be gone by the time the Brewers pick, but you never know:

Bats:

-Joey Gallo - 1B/BL/Nevada HS - just too much power potential to pass up

-Addison Russell - SS/BR/Florida HS

-Travis Jankowski - CF/BL/Stony Brook - having a great college postseason so far, should stick in CF

-Corey Seager - 3B/BL/North Carolina HS - nice, smooth powerful stroke from the left side with potential to stick at 3B

-James Ramsey - OF/BL/Florida St.

Arms:

-Ty Hensley - RHP/Oklahoma HS - nice size, pretty good mechanics, and already appears to have 2 excellent pitches

-Mitch Brown - RHP/Minnesota HS - already has a nice arsenal of 3-4 pitches, has made improvements over the years

-Nick Travieso - RHP/Flordia HS

-Pierce Johnson - RHP/Missouri St.

Other early round guys I like:

-Victor Roache - OF/BR/Georgia Southern - what can I say, I'm a sucker for power potential, wrist injury and all

-Nick Williams - OF/BL/Texas HS - the Ken Griffey, Jr. comparisons are blinding my judgment

-Tony Renda - 2B/BR/California

-Pat Light - RHP/Monmouth

-JO Berrios - RHP/Puerto Rico - we got last year's best Puerto Rican pitching prospect, why not get this year's as well

-Matt Reynolds - 3B/BR/Arkansas

I'll make my predictions:

1A: Clint Coulter: I would love this pick. Reminds me a lot of the Lawrie pick minus the douche nozzle-ness (hopefully).

1B: Travis Jankowski: i wanted to put down Lewis Brinson, but I think the Brewers will play it safer. Jankowski is plenty impressive in his own right as a small school kid with solid to plus tools.

1C: JO Berrios: I think they continue the P.R. trend (Jorge Lopez and Yadiel Rivera) with this big armed youngster.

It seems like this year's draft is going to turn out a lot like last year for me in that the guys I want most who early on looked like real possibilities are going to be gone before we pick. Last year I really wanted Lindor or Baez and both were gone. How good would Lindor have looked in Milwaukee's system? This year the guy I really want is Russell and it's looking like he's going to be gone. This mock has Gallo being gone as well. Either of those guys would look good in Milwaukee's system.

I just hope they go with at least 2 bats in those first 3 picks. I don't care too much who the guys are considering anything can happen with draft picks, but they really need to start getting bats back into this system.

Gennett is their best positional prospect right now, and he has about 5 HR potential. It's very thin.

Goldstein also has a free mock: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17238

Corey Seager and Victor Roache.

I would be thrilled with those 2 guys. Seager is loaded with upside (although likely expensive), and Roache, to me, could be a huge steal due to injury.

If they went this way, I'd like to see a high school pitcher at 38.

Seager would be a pretty exciting pick, but it sounds like it would be risky as well. Goldstein said there's a "very real chance" he'll go to college if he isn't picked in the top 15.

Law's final mock is in (insider only).

27-Coulter

28-Elfin

I'd be happy with that. Don't see Elfin sliding that far though. He terms it as a "gift" if it happens.

Edit: He has Addison Russell going #30 to the Yankees, and Lance McCullers, Jr. sliding out of the first round. What did I miss with McCullers?

According to Draftsite.com, the Brewers take Zach Eflin, Ty Hensley, Shane Watson, and Nick Williams in the first 2 rounds. It's highly unlikely that it'll turn out that way, but if it does, that would be one hell of an expensive draft.

I think one thing that people are forgetting with the new draft rules is that it a player is drafted late in the first round and chooses to go to school, there isn't really a chance of trying to get redrafted for more money 3 years later. For a HS kid picked 27 they can expect roughly $1.65 million. If they go to college, there is a better chance that they'll drop in value than increase in value, and teams aren't likely to pay big bonuses to guys that drop in the coming years. So I think first and 2nd round HS kids will almost have to sign. Additionally, teams could be creative. Say we sign a kid to below slot, but then we give him a AAA contract. He'd be making thousands more per year. We could even give more money than that. Guarantee less upfront, but give more annually.

From what I've read it sounds as if a number of talented prep arms are expected to go in the sandwich round. I think I'd be pretty happy if the Brewers snagged one after taking position players with the first two picks.

Archived