Brewer Fanatic

2012 General Draft Discussion

paul, weren't Josh Murray and Josh Prince also high draft picks at SS? I wouldn't say we've ignored it, but we also haven't drafted a ton of them

Josh Murray was drafted in 2002. Then there was Brent Brewer in 2006 and Josh Prince in 2009. So it seems like every three years or so they'll take a chance on a shortstop. This being 2012 maybe it's our year again. Russell could be the guy.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you guys think would be a realistic best case scenario with the first 3 picks? While I agree with the whole "you can never have too much pitching" thing I really think position players is the way to go. I would be stoked with Gallo/trahan/rahier.

While I've seen Brinson ranked in the 40s or 50s on a couple draft boards, and Coulter in the 30s or 40s, I don't see anything wrong with picking either of them there. They both appear to be high-ceiling prospects at premium positions. It's hard to overdraft guys like that unless you grossly overestimate the likelihood of them reaching their ceilings. Given the difficulty of predicting whether a high school player will reach his potential, if the Brewers feel good about a guy I can't say much other than to hope they're right.

I don't think you're giving Coulter enough credit. I think he falls under the category of someone that people haven't heard of, and therefore believe he's not worthy of a late first-round pick. I talked about this with Dennis Punzel of the Wisconsin State Journal the other day (look for his story up in the next 1-2 days), but this is a draft in which you could make a case for roughly 40-60 players to be taken among the top 30 picks. That doesn't make it a weak draft necessarily (or a strong one), but there are some good players out there that aren't household names for the first round when it comes to draftniks.

And I take Coulter ahead of Trahan. Trahan has exciting tools, but hasn't been able to translate those tools into playable skills at the HS level. Coulter destroys everything.

That said, I wouldn't take Brinson at 27 or 28 as noted, unless it's for a friendly deal that allows you to save a little money at one slot to spend a little more at another. He's a very good overall athlete, very similar to Dexter Fowler, but he still is pretty raw.

I keep hearing that Tanner Rahier isn't likely to fall to the Brewers' pick, and Addison Russell may be in that same boat. If Gallo somehow falls you take him without blinking. CF Travis Jankowski of Stony Brook is a player the Brewers have shown interest in, so you may want to see how he does this weekend during Regional play, as many are predicting a big weekend could cement his status as someone to go in the 20-30 range.

Whats the deal with Roache? He had the wrist break but why is he falling so far? Is he a risk to go back to school to rebuild value or is the break something that is potentially a much bigger long term issue than it seems. I know wrist injuries take a long time to heal and get power back but it's not like he would be going straight into the Brewers lineup.

For me I'm hoping the Brewers get a bit lucky and have some things fall for them for once. Gallo and Roache are who I'd be drooling over the Brewers picking. Piscotty is another name that intrigues me. From what I've been reading he seems like he could develop into a Jeff Cirillo style 3rd baseman, a guy who does everything pretty well. Addison Russell is someone who I don't totally understand why he seems to be getting mocked so late, a guy who can play SS (although maybe not long term) with a huge bat, isn't something that falls in drafts.

Colby do you think Matthew Smoral would be available for the Brewers to take at the 27th pick? Smoral is very much the prototypical pitcher that the Brewers have been drafting the past couple of years big bodied pitchers. I know at one point Smoral was considered the top high school pitcher in the country. I would be really excited over the Brewers taking Smoral than any other player in this draft. There is a lot to like about Smoral and I think he maybe one of the better pitchers in the draft in my opinion. I know he broke his foot this year but is that enough of a concern to have him drop out of the first round?

I'm not Colby, but I doubt that the Brewers will draft Smoral because of signability concerns. He missed much of the season and he could be seeking to prove himself in college ball. There is a possibility that the Brewers draft him, though.

Exciting times. I like the idea of a productive power hitter like Coulter, and I love the competitive level of anyone who was a HS wrestling state champ. However, I hate the idea of risking the future of such a talented player by playing him at catcher. What other positions could he play? Does he have the hands for 3B? Enough speed for RF?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

As for drafting a SS, I don't think its a priority over other needs. Anyone we draft now is 4 years from the majors. With the state of our farm system, the only positions that aren't holes on the projected MLB team in 4 years are LF and C. Simply take anyone that might have a chance to hit anywhere near the middle of the order in the future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

the only positions that aren't holes on the projected MLB team in 4 years are LF and C. Simply take anyone that might have a chance to hit anywhere near the middle of the order in the future.

I realize that Lucroy is signed long term but who else do we have at catcher that is going to be around in 4 years? I don't see any legitimate prospects in the system. At least not any in full season ball. If Coulter can stick at catcher I'd say absolutely keep him there. His value is higher there than it is in RF.

the only positions that aren't holes on the projected MLB team in 4 years are LF and C. Simply take anyone that might have a chance to hit anywhere near the middle of the order in the future.

I realize that Lucroy is signed long term but who else do we have at catcher that is going to be around in 4 years? I don't see any legitimate prospects in the system. At least not any in full season ball. If Coulter can stick at catcher I'd say absolutely keep him there. His value is higher there than it is in RF.

At catcher, its extremely likely that his development is held back by injury, and even healthy catchers get fewer at-bats, thus slowing the development of his bat. On top of that, there's no guarantee he'll stick defensively at catcher.

The success rate of developing catchers is atrocious. Rather than treating Coulter like a lottery ticket, I say move him to another position, just as I suggested with Lawrie. I don't see any legit RF prospects in the system either. I'd prefer 3B though if that's an option.

Jankowski is likely to go somewhere in the 25-35 range, so no, he's not a reach.

Matt Smoral could pose some signability concerns, but with extra picks the Brewers could be creative to make that happen if they wanted to.

If Coulter doesn't stick behind the plate, he's a 1B, maybe LF.

Archived