Brewer Fanatic

2012 General Draft Discussion

If draft picks in rounds 11-40 have a max of $100k bonus (without effecting the 1-10 pick pool), where do undrafted players fall? Same limit ($100k) or maybe less?

Undrafted players would be free agents which I believe would not fall under any of the rules for the draft as they were not drafted. Just my opinion on the subject not sure there is anything in the new CBA about undrafted players.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Undrafted players would be free agents which I believe would not fall under any of the rules for the draft as they were not drafted. Just my opinion on the subject not sure there is anything in the new CBA about undrafted players.

From what I understand, UDFAs are subject to the same rules as picks from rounds 11+.

From what I understand, UDFAs are subject to the same rules as picks from rounds 11+.

That link is confusing as it doesn't really say anything definite about UDFA. Mostly just speculation about it nothing definite there unless I am missing something.

When looking at the CBA fully there is no reference to UDFA's being part of the new CBA rules concerning the draft.

http://bizofbaseball.com/docs/2012-16CBA.pdf

That link is confusing as it doesn't really say anything definite about UDFA. Mostly just speculation about it nothing definite there unless I am missing something.

When looking at the CBA fully there is no reference to UDFA's being part of the new CBA rules concerning the draft.

http://bizofbaseball.com/docs/2012-16CBA.pdf

Here's a more straightforward link.

I don't know the draft rules that closely. I assume the following means we are in a good position to sign one or both of the players?....

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120620&content_id=33631864&notebook_id=33631866&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Baseball America's terrific First-Year Player Draft database shows the Brewers still have $248,400 left to spend before they reach their allotment for picks in the first 10 rounds, and two unsigned players: Hard-throwing University of Oklahoma right-hander Damien Magnifico, the team's fifth-round selection, and Puerto Rican prep outfielder Edgardo Rivera, an eighth-rounder.

Brewers amateur scouting director Bruce Seid spoke very highly of Magnifico after the Draft. That selection -- 185th overall -- called for a $209,900 bonus under guidelines set in baseball's new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

i think the brewers have 248,400 plus the slot recomendations for magnifico and rivera. if they sign those two for slot or below they can give farmer $348,400. they also can go over by a little without penalty. anything over 100k for farmer goes against the allotted money for picks from the 1-10 rounds. i might be wrong though.

I hesitate to even post this, but left-handed hitting 17 year old (doesn't turn 18 until November while Coulter turns 19 this month) Joey Gallo is currently putting up 346/585/962 for a 1.547 OPS in Rookie ball. He has 4 HRs and 15!!! walks in just 41 plate appearances. Most here were clamoring for Gallo - would have really been nice to have picked him with one of the Brewers 1st 3 picks...

Edit: Joey Gallo is 18 and turns 19 in November - I was wrong - my bad...

I've mentioned this in other threads but I was screaming for Gallo at every one of their first 3 picks. He might have been a high risk pick but he also had huge power potential and just about everyone knew it. When you have multiple 1st round picks, at least one should be a high-ceiling pick like Gallo. Roache might be considered a high-ceiling pick with great power potential (and good value since he fell because of his injury) but I'd rather take the younger/healthier player who can start playing immediately. Last year I was screaming for Guerrieri. It just so happens that the Rangers and Rays got both of those guys and both of those organizations have great farm systems. So it seems like they know what they're doing and so far (extremely small sample), they are looking like great picks.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Yeah, Gallo would have been my first pick as well. Gallo and Roache would have been a really intriguing power duo to select back-to-back. It's not that I'm necessarily down on Coulter as there is clearly some promise there. It's just that I think the odds are stacked against you if you are drafted out of high school to become a catcher (no idea if history supports this assumption or not). I just hope that his bat doesn't suffer on his journey to becoming a major league defensive catcher.

Sucks that Haniger got hurt - he was doing pretty well at Wisconsin - a bit of a pleasant surprise. The Brewers will have a nice little influx of offensive talent to the system once Haniger, Roache, and even Arcia get healthy.

Oh, I agree narwhalattack - way too early for me to be making any sort of definitive statements - I understand that. There is clearly a lot of swing and miss to his plate approach - we'll see how it translates. At least one thing is for sure though, he should be getting a promotion any day now - he probably already should have...

Archived